Craggy Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be true, but usually there's some sort of lame story trying to get around the whole thing. In the ISHFWILF clip there is no "oh shit did the circus midget or acrobat die?", the question instead is "would there really be any fun in hanging out with Bono in las vegas".

:laugh: Good point. What I've always loved is how it really seems to have sweet fuck all to do with the song itself. I mean, I'm sure you can twist it into some saga about trying to find meaning in Las Vegas or whatever, but you really could put the video with just about ANY song and have it make the same amount of (non)sense.

:laugh: Good point. What I've always loved is how it really seems to have sweet fuck all to do with the song itself. I mean, I'm sure you can twist it into some saga about trying to find meaning in Las Vegas or whatever, but you really could put the video with just about ANY song and have it make the same amount of (non)sense.

Apparently they had finished a concert (you may be able to tell me the exact one), were a bit tipsy and thought it would be a good idea to shoot the clip while they were having some antics. If I were in a band I would make sure most of our clips were done in a similar matter.

Sorry for the late reply, I was caught up with looking at pictures of, er - I wouldn't call them your relations, but they share something with you - albino animals. :wink:

migaloo1.jpg

Apparently they had finished a concert (you may be able to tell me the exact one), were a bit tipsy and thought it would be a good idea to shoot the clip while they were having some antics. If I were in a band I would make sure most of our clips were done in a similar matter.

But of course I can tell you the gig: 12 April 1987. :wink:

And if I had a band, I'd have most of our music videos filmed on trains or trams or other forms of transport. I wish I were in Russian Circles, since I have a fucking cool idea for a music video on a Z3 tram for their song Station. But then, I'm me and what do you expect, really?

Sorry for the late reply, I was caught up with looking at pictures of, er - I wouldn't call them your relations, but they share something with you - albino animals. :wink:

migaloo1.jpg

:lmao: Awesome.

Sometimes I forget just how much fun it is to cruise through U2gigs and note how setlists evolved over the course of a tour ...

But of course I can tell you the gig: 12 April 1987. :wink:

Oh, that rings a bell, thanks :up:

The show before it ended with TTYW, wow!

And if I had a band, I'd have most of our music videos filmed on trains or trams or other forms of transport. I wish I were in Russian Circles, since I have a fucking cool idea for a music video on a Z3 tram for their song Station. But then, I'm me and what do you expect, really?

Yeah this whole paragraph really isn't surprising at all. :lol: No, I'm sure you could direct a great train related music video. I mean, at least a music video based around trains wouldn't be as lame as one based around ancient Greek soldiers!

Tell me about it!

Hah, so blueeyedgirl posted earlier about a footy player being hit by a tram and knocked into a coma - turns out it was a RICHMOND player! My supposed team! Some chap named Graham Polak.

Oh, that rings a bell, thanks :up:

The show before it ended with TTYW, wow!

Yeah, some really bizarre stuff happened at the early JT Tour gigs. Go three days earlier still, to 7 April in Houston, and you'll find one of only two shows where 40 was played in full but did not close.

What I love is that they actually closed with, of all songs, a cover of SOUTHERN MAN.

Yeah this whole paragraph really isn't surprising at all. :lol: No, I'm sure you could direct a great train related music video. I mean, at least a music video based around trains wouldn't be as lame as one based around ancient Greek soldiers!

:lol: No, I'm sure one about ancient Greek soldiers would be more interesting than a band rocking out in the confines of public transport. I bet to everybody but railfans, it'd all start to look the same after 2 or 3 videos. Meanwhile, though, us railfans would be eagerly awaiting each video ... "wow, did you see in the tenth music video, they were playing on one of the trams recently refurbished and given yellow handrails?!"

Hah, so blueeyedgirl posted earlier about a footy player being hit by a tram and knocked into a coma - turns out it was a RICHMOND player! My supposed team! Some chap named Graham Polak.

Oh, I only heard briefly about that on the radio while going to the airport. Really devastating. Glad he's in a stable condition, I can't imagine anyone surviving a hit from a tram.

Oh, I only heard briefly about that on the radio while going to the airport. Really devastating. Glad he's in a stable condition, I can't imagine anyone surviving a hit from a tram.

One good thing about trams is that they can stop extremely quickly - I've been on a tram that has had to apply its emergency brakes, and fuck, those things are effective. By the sounds of it, he mustn't have taken a hit at too high a speed, since the comments I just saw on Railpage indicate that his condition has quite substantially improved over the course of the day.

Wow, it's such a dead horse but probably the worst thing about the Coldplay/U2 discussions, to me, is when people - often fans of both bands - say that the bands are so similar, they're almost the same and worst of all they ask how a U2 fan could possibly not like Coldplay.

I really don't want anything close to an argument here (that's why I don't post in those threads. Plus I have some sort of a life going on) but that is just unreal.

Wow, it's such a dead horse but probably the worst thing about the Coldplay/U2 discussions, to me, is when people - often fans of both bands - say that the bands are so similar, they're almost the same and worst of all they ask how a U2 fan could possibly not like Coldplay.

I really don't want anything close to an argument here (that's why I don't post in those threads. Plus I have some sort of a life going on) but that is just unreal.

Ugh, that really irritates me. I've gotten the same with "you love U2/Crowded House, how can you NOT love the Beatles?!" Well, there are different reasons, but both the Beatles and Coldplay examples share one big commonality that I just can't stand the respective vocalists. They do not come across as pleasing to my ears.

I think I might actually just maybe enjoy some Coldplay compositions if only Chris Martin weren't there to ruin them.

But Chris Martin sounds like Bono on every song all of the time! And the guitarist puts reverb on his guitar, so he's basically Edge. You're fucked up if you can't hear that; four media outlets can!

But Chris Martin sounds like Bono on every song all of the time! And the guitarist puts reverb on his guitar, so he's basically Edge. You're fucked up if you can't hear that; four media outlets can!

Bonnie, you hear that? THE GUITARIST PUTS REVERB ON HIS GUITAR, SO HE'S BASICALLY EDGE. We better chuck out all our shoegaze stuff because it's just derivative carbon copies of U2!

Coldplay has never really sounded like U2 to me. It's Chris Martin's own damn fault for attracting the comparisons by claiming he has wet dreams about Bono and compares all of his own albums to U2 albums (NOT because they sound similar, but because he knows they're quality). He started it, and we perpetuate it here.

Dude, fuck you! I'm so sick of this, I have got way more awesome things to do. I'm going to party at the Apothecary Tavern where Peter Hook is deejaying. Jealous, much?

Hey, I'm back :waves:

I'm good. Still doing my graveyard shift internship. I'll be getting off soon, but I'll hang around here till then

Coldplay has never really sounded like U2 to me. It's Chris Martin's own damn fault for attracting the comparisons by claiming he has wet dreams about Bono and compares all of his own albums to U2 albums (NOT because they sound similar, but because he knows they're quality). He started it, and we perpetuate it here.

Yeah, I agree with you. You have got a lot of similar sounding bands during this decade that people suddenly began to claim as sounding like U2, mainly mostly-safe slightly alternative AOR type stuff that's radio accessible, Coldplay being the main one (though I judge mainly by their singles). I don't think U2 started that sort of band, though - how could they? They have never really sounded anything like that.

Anyway, I forgot what I was writing about there after a few words but yeah, you're right.

Hey, Bonnie, you know how I mentioned Tinariwen earlier? I was just cruising around their website and came across this quote from Bono in their press pack. I think it is stunning proof that Edge is really the musically adventurous member and brains of U2 and Bono just follows in his wake occasionally. Plus it just strikes me as a fairly mundane quote from a guy who superficially seems to be all about Africa.

Bono said:
I really appreciated them. They come from a hard place.
It’s very different when people are singing for their life,
rather than just to eat. It’s really The Edge who introduced
me to this music. It’s true that this kind of music is like a
breath, that I can feel. It’s the discovery of new sounds, new
harmonies. We’re trying to get inspired, but just a little bit.
We don’t want to end up being tourists.

Incidentally, I think you can listen to their latest album on the site, but I haven't tried it out to see how well it works since I have the album already!

Well, I'm going to.........read Pitchfork and cry! Top that.

You all fucking fail. I'm off to an Ian Curtis gig where he's going to play acoustic covers of his favourite Neutral Milk Hotel and Radiohead songs.

Man, being an albino, i.e. a ghost, gets me access to all kind of cool shit that you suckers just don't get.

Hey, I'm back :waves:

I'm good. Still doing my graveyard shift internship. I'll be getting off soon, but I'll hang around here till then

Wow, I don't know how you're managing to get through that. If we were on the same timezone, you'd probably be getting up at about the time I go to bed! :laugh:

Yeah, I agree with you. You have got a lot of similar sounding bands during this decade that people suddenly began to claim as sounding like U2, mainly mostly-safe slightly alternative AOR type stuff that's radio accessible, Coldplay being the main one (though I judge mainly by their singles). I don't think U2 started that sort of band, though - how could they? They have never really sounded anything like that.

Anyway, I forgot what I was writing about there after a few words but yeah, you're right.

Yeah, the idea that U2 could be identical to an AOR rock band like Coldplay is ludicrous to me.

Bee tee why, LeMel - when's the next cartoon coming out? :shifty:

I've been writing it out over the past week. It's about Coldplay, actually; Bono drops his wallet and Chris Martin steals his identity, but finds out that being Bono isn't as good as making predictable adult alternative music and screwing Gwyneth Paltrow.

Wow, I don't know how you're managing to get through that. If we were on the same timezone, you'd probably be getting up at about the time I go to bed! :laugh:

That's probably the case! :lol:

I don't know how I get through it either. All I know is that I am finally adapting to the taste of coffee

Hey, Bonnie, you know how I mentioned Tinariwen earlier? I was just cruising around their website and came across this quote from Bono in their press pack. I think it is stunning proof that Edge is really the musically adventurous member and brains of U2 and Bono just follows in his wake occasionally. Plus it just strikes me as a fairly mundane quote from a guy who superficially seems to be all about Africa.

Incidentally, I think you can listen to their latest album on the site, but I haven't tried it out to see how well it works since I have the album already!

Yeah, I was about one hundo sure that there would be some quote from Bono somewhere down the track regarding these guys. Seems kind of half hearted, but then again I wasn't there and he may have been screaming it.

Of course Edge's IQ is probably that of the other three members combined and then some.

That's probably the case! :lol:

I don't know how I get through it either. All I know is that I am finally adapting to the taste of coffee

:yikes: I'd resort to those nasty energy drinks before coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom