Craggy Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yeah, I tend to outright ignore most of the threads he'd post in on B&C, so I don't get confronted by his attitude in that sense much. I'm mainly accustomed to seeing him post on EYKIW/WTAHNN, where he owns the over-eager and ridiculous fans with coherent argumentation.

But yes, I remember that JD/NO comment, I think I was involved in that thread. Personally, I can't fathom why anybody would think New Order were even a tenth as good as Joy Division, but each to their own. I prefer the dark post-punk stylings of Joy Division to the direction New Order went post-Movement. Dreams Never End is a fucking great song, though.

As for GG, whatever it is that keeps her from the Superthreads, we need to get rid of it because she needs to be here.

I see his posts in the U2 forums too, yeah. I usually respect his arguments there, but find them to have an added layer of hostility that they could do without. Or if not blatant hostility, a holier than thou attitude. Maybe I look into it too much?

The thing about the JD/NO thing is that it's not the fact that he likes New Order more than Joy Division. I don't give a shit about that! I don't care if someone likes Linkin Park more than Louis Armstrong. The thing is, Laz DOES care. If someone's opinion is different to his, he doesn't see the futility in arguing about it. Isn't he like forty? What the hell people.

Qantas, with my parents. I went with Virgin on the way over, with my brother. I usually prefer Virgin.

Yeah, I always fly Virgin. They don't rip me off like QANTAS, and they're likely to get me there alive, unlike Jetstar.

Well, we pretty much finished off the brie tonight, although there's still a block of cracker barrel in the fridge... and I'm not sure if I'm ready to share my nostalgia-cheese yet. :wink:

Dude, we've got some proper Bono-style howling winds going on over here... :yikes:

You know you want to buy some nice cheeses and some crackers and bring them around for a Phail recording session. :wink:

And I've got to venture out sometime to take out the rubbish. Should be interesting.

:drool: Sounds nice!

The last time I flew Qantas I was 3 years old, so I don't remember it... except for the flight attendant giving me a colouring book. :lol:
I had no problem with Virgin though, when I flew between Canberra and Melbourne. Although the crew was almost disturbingly smiley and perky and chipper. :uhoh:

Oh yeah, I remember the colouring books! :lol: I bet I still have some around, we used to fly on Qantas all the time when I was younger.

The Virgin crew does seem to be very perky, though I had figured most flight crews were. Particularly those Singapore Airline ones in the lovely traditional costumes, but they can get away with it because they're all astonishingly beautiful.

You know you want to buy some nice cheeses and some crackers and bring them around for a Phail recording session. :wink:

And I've got to venture out sometime to take out the rubbish. Should be interesting.

Oooh, that sounds pretty good.
Speaking of Phail, yet another weekend has passed and my bass hasn't left its case. :sigh:

Just open a window... the change in air pressure will suck everything out into the street. :wink:

I see his posts in the U2 forums too, yeah. I usually respect his arguments there, but find them to have an added layer of hostility that they could do without. Or if not blatant hostility, a holier than thou attitude. Maybe I look into it too much?

The thing about the JD/NO thing is that it's not the fact that he likes New Order more than Joy Division. I don't give a shit about that! I don't care if someone likes Linkin Park more than Louis Armstrong. The thing is, Laz DOES care. If someone's opinion is different to his, he doesn't see the futility in arguing about it. Isn't he like forty? What the hell people.

Oh, no, that's probably true. It's just that in the EYKIW/WTAHNN cases, I'm on his side and generally think the people on the receiving end ... well, "deserve it" seems too harsh, but if you're going to be irrationally over-eager, you should be prepared for somebody to call you out.

He's forty? I always took him for being about 25. If he's 40, then that's just sad. It's sad at any age, really, but somehow it seems more sad if you're pushing 40.

Hey Ax, there's a bottle shop on a north corner up in Lygon street with a lot of good beers and wines. Can't remember the name, unfortunately. I think they sell pasta and stuff too.

Oooh, that sounds pretty good.
Speaking of Phail, yet another weekend has passed and my bass hasn't left its case. :sigh:

Just open a window... the change in air pressure will suck everything out into the street. :wink:

Though given U-Wen's vanishing act, maybe making a Phail recording session happen in the coming week will be harder than I thought it'd be. And rather unsurprisingly, my guitar hasn't moved from its case. :wink:

:lol: I hope it's real wind, rather than that uneventful 55-75km/h on Wednesday.

:yippie:

And bootleg DVDs? How's that CD working out for you, anyway? :tongue:

:reject:

But at least the bootleg DVDs can be done!

Oh, no, that's probably true. It's just that in the EYKIW/WTAHNN cases, I'm on his side and generally think the people on the receiving end ... well, "deserve it" seems too harsh, but if you're going to be irrationally over-eager, you should be prepared for somebody to call you out.

He's forty? I always took him for being about 25. If he's 40, then that's just sad. It's sad at any age, really, but somehow it seems more sad if you're pushing 40.

Yeah, I understand that but sometimes it's too much, a lot of new kids here probably have never been on another forum, or English isn't their first language, or whatever. In some cases they do "deserve it", but not always.

He's probably not forty, I may be thinking of someone else. But even if he's in his twenties, you'd think he's old enough to know better.

Hey Ax, there's a bottle shop on a north corner up in Lygon street with a lot of good beers and wines. Can't remember the name, unfortunately. I think they sell pasta and stuff too.

Sweet, though that's kind of vague. Are we talking the southern end of Lygon Street where it has no tram lines? Like around the dining precinct?

Yeah, I understand that but sometimes it's too much, a lot of new kids here probably have never been on another forum, or English isn't their first language, or whatever. In some cases they do "deserve it", but not always.

He's probably not forty, I may be thinking of someone else. But even if he's in his twenties, you'd think he's old enough to know better.

Yeah, that's a fair call. I know I cross the line sometimes too. I figure there's just no point any more, hence my much lower participation there these days. As I've said before, I prefer the standard of discussion in these Superthreads. I just have a really hard time conducting a conversation with some of the hard-headed folk in WTAHNN who won't even consider that U2 might have an imperfection.

Oh uh, yeah. Sorry, that's basically the only part of Lygon I remember. :lol:

:laugh: Lygon Street is surprisingly long, or at least I was surprised by how long it is when I first came here. But once the tram line joins it, it becomes more inner suburban residential.

Hey so this is my vote for Bono's greatest moment of all time.

u287bono_vegas3.jpg

It's that dumb dance he does in the ISHFWILF clip.

Come on man, it's like the only thing that happens in the whole video.

Oooh, that's right. Yeah, there's a reason I've never bothered paying attention to that video.

God to admit, I'm rather proud of my slam of Queensland in the second and third paragraphs of the LJ entry I made just a little bit ago.

God to admit, I'm rather proud of my slam of Queensland in the second and third paragraphs of the LJ entry I made just a little bit ago.

Great entry. :up:

Your criticism of the Gold Coast is spot on. And now there's going to be an AFL team there. Who the fuck even lives in Surfer's Paradise?!

I like reading that you seem to enjoy parts of Australia, at least. I don't really like Australia but I bet if I had moved to another country at a younger age I would have gotten more interested in it. Come to think of it, I probably would have learned more history of it somewhere else, too.

:lol: Is there actually a U2 music video out there in which Bono is NOT really annoying, though?

That may be true, but usually there's some sort of lame story trying to get around the whole thing. In the ISHFWILF clip there is no "oh shit did the circus midget or acrobat die?", the question instead is "would there really be any fun in hanging out with Bono in las vegas".

Great entry. :up:

Your criticism of the Gold Coast is spot on. And now there's going to be an AFL team there. Who the fuck even lives in Surfer's Paradise?!

I like reading that you seem to enjoy parts of Australia, at least. I don't really like Australia but I bet if I had moved to another country at a younger age I would have gotten more interested in it. Come to think of it, I probably would have learned more history of it somewhere else, too.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, it's an absurdity. Seriously, NOBODY lives in Surfer's Paradise. Walk along the beach of an evening and look up at all those stupid apartment blocks. I guarantee you there will be lights in a third of the windows AT MOST. And half of those are either tourists or rich wankers spending their annual two weeks in their flashy Gold Coast pad while they perv on 18-21 year old girls with nasty boob jobs and too much makeup. It's ridiculous.

Certainly I like living in Australia. If I didn't, I'd have long since moved! I wouldn't have just moved to Melbourne, that's for sure. There's plenty to make me uncomfortable, and a lot of the historical undercurrents in this country trouble me, especially as I now feel like I'm complicit in the problem as a member of the voting public. But let's be honest: the world is a shithole all over, and for all its ills, Australia's not doing so bad compared to a lot of places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom