Craggy Island Superthread - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #286
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
But Chris Martin sounds like Bono on every song all of the time! And the guitarist puts reverb on his guitar, so he's basically Edge. You're fucked up if you can't hear that; four media outlets can!
Bonnie, you hear that? THE GUITARIST PUTS REVERB ON HIS GUITAR, SO HE'S BASICALLY EDGE. We better chuck out all our shoegaze stuff because it's just derivative carbon copies of U2!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #287
The Male

Local Time: 02:25 AM
Coldplay has never really sounded like U2 to me. It's Chris Martin's own damn fault for attracting the comparisons by claiming he has wet dreams about Bono and compares all of his own albums to U2 albums (NOT because they sound similar, but because he knows they're quality). He started it, and we perpetuate it here.

Now.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #288
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
But Chris Martin sounds like Bono on every song all of the time! And the guitarist puts reverb on his guitar, so he's basically Edge. You're fucked up if you can't hear that; four media outlets can!
Dude, fuck you! I'm so sick of this, I have got way more awesome things to do. I'm going to party at the Apothecary Tavern where Peter Hook is deejaying. Jealous, much?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #289
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Dude, fuck you! I'm so sick of this, I have got way more awesome things to do. I'm going to party at the Apothecary Tavern where Peter Hook is deejaying. Jealous, much?
Well, I'm going to.........read Pitchfork and cry! Top that.

Now.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #290
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Hey, I'm back :waves:

I'm good. Still doing my graveyard shift internship. I'll be getting off soon, but I'll hang around here till then
Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #291
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Coldplay has never really sounded like U2 to me. It's Chris Martin's own damn fault for attracting the comparisons by claiming he has wet dreams about Bono and compares all of his own albums to U2 albums (NOT because they sound similar, but because he knows they're quality). He started it, and we perpetuate it here.
Yeah, I agree with you. You have got a lot of similar sounding bands during this decade that people suddenly began to claim as sounding like U2, mainly mostly-safe slightly alternative AOR type stuff that's radio accessible, Coldplay being the main one (though I judge mainly by their singles). I don't think U2 started that sort of band, though - how could they? They have never really sounded anything like that.

Anyway, I forgot what I was writing about there after a few words but yeah, you're right.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #292
Blue Crack Addict

Bee tee why, LeMel - when's the next cartoon coming out?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #293
Vocal parasite

Hey, Bonnie, you know how I mentioned Tinariwen earlier? I was just cruising around their website and came across this quote from Bono in their press pack. I think it is stunning proof that Edge is really the musically adventurous member and brains of U2 and Bono just follows in his wake occasionally. Plus it just strikes me as a fairly mundane quote from a guy who superficially seems to be all about Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono
I really appreciated them. They come from a hard place.
It’s very different when people are singing for their life,
rather than just to eat. It’s really The Edge who introduced
me to this music. It’s true that this kind of music is like a
breath, that I can feel. It’s the discovery of new sounds, new
harmonies. We’re trying to get inspired, but just a little bit.
We don’t want to end up being tourists.
Incidentally, I think you can listen to their latest album on the site, but I haven't tried it out to see how well it works since I have the album already!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #294
Vocal parasite

Quote:
You all fucking fail. I'm off to an Ian Curtis gig where he's going to play acoustic covers of his favourite Neutral Milk Hotel and Radiohead songs.

Man, being an albino, i.e. a ghost, gets me access to all kind of cool shit that you suckers just don't get.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #295
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
http://www.thyindietastictymes.co.us...008/vivalavida

This review is way better than anything on Pitchfork! They are all no-talent journalist hacks that have never even heard music in their lives! All of their reviews are stupid and you should not read them!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #296
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Hey, I'm back :waves:

I'm good. Still doing my graveyard shift internship. I'll be getting off soon, but I'll hang around here till then
Wow, I don't know how you're managing to get through that. If we were on the same timezone, you'd probably be getting up at about the time I go to bed!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #297
The Male

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you. You have got a lot of similar sounding bands during this decade that people suddenly began to claim as sounding like U2, mainly mostly-safe slightly alternative AOR type stuff that's radio accessible, Coldplay being the main one (though I judge mainly by their singles). I don't think U2 started that sort of band, though - how could they? They have never really sounded anything like that.

Anyway, I forgot what I was writing about there after a few words but yeah, you're right.
Yeah, the idea that U2 could be identical to an AOR rock band like Coldplay is ludicrous to me.

Quote:
Bee tee why, LeMel - when's the next cartoon coming out?
I've been writing it out over the past week. It's about Coldplay, actually; Bono drops his wallet and Chris Martin steals his identity, but finds out that being Bono isn't as good as making predictable adult alternative music and screwing Gwyneth Paltrow.

Now.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #298
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Wow, I don't know how you're managing to get through that. If we were on the same timezone, you'd probably be getting up at about the time I go to bed!
That's probably the case!

I don't know how I get through it either. All I know is that I am finally adapting to the taste of coffee
Old 06-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #299
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Hey, Bonnie, you know how I mentioned Tinariwen earlier? I was just cruising around their website and came across this quote from Bono in their press pack. I think it is stunning proof that Edge is really the musically adventurous member and brains of U2 and Bono just follows in his wake occasionally. Plus it just strikes me as a fairly mundane quote from a guy who superficially seems to be all about Africa.

Incidentally, I think you can listen to their latest album on the site, but I haven't tried it out to see how well it works since I have the album already!
Yeah, I was about one hundo sure that there would be some quote from Bono somewhere down the track regarding these guys. Seems kind of half hearted, but then again I wasn't there and he may have been screaming it.

Of course Edge's IQ is probably that of the other three members combined and then some.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #300
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
That's probably the case!

I don't know how I get through it either. All I know is that I am finally adapting to the taste of coffee
I'd resort to those nasty energy drinks before coffee!

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread