Craggy Island Superthread - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #271
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
That may be true, but usually there's some sort of lame story trying to get around the whole thing. In the ISHFWILF clip there is no "oh shit did the circus midget or acrobat die?", the question instead is "would there really be any fun in hanging out with Bono in las vegas".
Good point. What I've always loved is how it really seems to have sweet fuck all to do with the song itself. I mean, I'm sure you can twist it into some saga about trying to find meaning in Las Vegas or whatever, but you really could put the video with just about ANY song and have it make the same amount of (non)sense.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Good point. What I've always loved is how it really seems to have sweet fuck all to do with the song itself. I mean, I'm sure you can twist it into some saga about trying to find meaning in Las Vegas or whatever, but you really could put the video with just about ANY song and have it make the same amount of (non)sense.
Apparently they had finished a concert (you may be able to tell me the exact one), were a bit tipsy and thought it would be a good idea to shoot the clip while they were having some antics. If I were in a band I would make sure most of our clips were done in a similar matter.

Sorry for the late reply, I was caught up with looking at pictures of, er - I wouldn't call them your relations, but they share something with you - albino animals.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #273
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Apparently they had finished a concert (you may be able to tell me the exact one), were a bit tipsy and thought it would be a good idea to shoot the clip while they were having some antics. If I were in a band I would make sure most of our clips were done in a similar matter.
But of course I can tell you the gig: 12 April 1987.

And if I had a band, I'd have most of our music videos filmed on trains or trams or other forms of transport. I wish I were in Russian Circles, since I have a fucking cool idea for a music video on a Z3 tram for their song Station. But then, I'm me and what do you expect, really?

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, I was caught up with looking at pictures of, er - I wouldn't call them your relations, but they share something with you - albino animals.

Awesome.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #274
Vocal parasite

Sometimes I forget just how much fun it is to cruise through U2gigs and note how setlists evolved over the course of a tour ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But of course I can tell you the gig: 12 April 1987.
Oh, that rings a bell, thanks

The show before it ended with TTYW, wow!

Quote:
And if I had a band, I'd have most of our music videos filmed on trains or trams or other forms of transport. I wish I were in Russian Circles, since I have a fucking cool idea for a music video on a Z3 tram for their song Station. But then, I'm me and what do you expect, really?
Yeah this whole paragraph really isn't surprising at all. No, I'm sure you could direct a great train related music video. I mean, at least a music video based around trains wouldn't be as lame as one based around ancient Greek soldiers!

Quote:
Awesome.
Tell me about it!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #276
Vocal parasite

Hah, so blueeyedgirl posted earlier about a footy player being hit by a tram and knocked into a coma - turns out it was a RICHMOND player! My supposed team! Some chap named Graham Polak.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #277
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Oh, that rings a bell, thanks

The show before it ended with TTYW, wow!
Yeah, some really bizarre stuff happened at the early JT Tour gigs. Go three days earlier still, to 7 April in Houston, and you'll find one of only two shows where 40 was played in full but did not close.

What I love is that they actually closed with, of all songs, a cover of SOUTHERN MAN.

Quote:
Yeah this whole paragraph really isn't surprising at all. No, I'm sure you could direct a great train related music video. I mean, at least a music video based around trains wouldn't be as lame as one based around ancient Greek soldiers!
No, I'm sure one about ancient Greek soldiers would be more interesting than a band rocking out in the confines of public transport. I bet to everybody but railfans, it'd all start to look the same after 2 or 3 videos. Meanwhile, though, us railfans would be eagerly awaiting each video ... "wow, did you see in the tenth music video, they were playing on one of the trams recently refurbished and given yellow handrails?!"

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Hah, so blueeyedgirl posted earlier about a footy player being hit by a tram and knocked into a coma - turns out it was a RICHMOND player! My supposed team! Some chap named Graham Polak.
Oh, I only heard briefly about that on the radio while going to the airport. Really devastating. Glad he's in a stable condition, I can't imagine anyone surviving a hit from a tram.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #279
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Oh, I only heard briefly about that on the radio while going to the airport. Really devastating. Glad he's in a stable condition, I can't imagine anyone surviving a hit from a tram.
One good thing about trams is that they can stop extremely quickly - I've been on a tram that has had to apply its emergency brakes, and fuck, those things are effective. By the sounds of it, he mustn't have taken a hit at too high a speed, since the comments I just saw on Railpage indicate that his condition has quite substantially improved over the course of the day.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:58 PM
*bounces in*
Hey guys
Old 06-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, it's such a dead horse but probably the worst thing about the Coldplay/U2 discussions, to me, is when people - often fans of both bands - say that the bands are so similar, they're almost the same and worst of all they ask how a U2 fan could possibly not like Coldplay.

I really don't want anything close to an argument here (that's why I don't post in those threads. Plus I have some sort of a life going on) but that is just unreal.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #282
Vocal parasite

Hm, so I just fell asleep there. Can't be a good sign, can it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
*bounces in*
Hey guys
Hey! I don't think I've seen you around for a while. How are you?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #283
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Wow, it's such a dead horse but probably the worst thing about the Coldplay/U2 discussions, to me, is when people - often fans of both bands - say that the bands are so similar, they're almost the same and worst of all they ask how a U2 fan could possibly not like Coldplay.

I really don't want anything close to an argument here (that's why I don't post in those threads. Plus I have some sort of a life going on) but that is just unreal.
Ugh, that really irritates me. I've gotten the same with "you love U2/Crowded House, how can you NOT love the Beatles?!" Well, there are different reasons, but both the Beatles and Coldplay examples share one big commonality that I just can't stand the respective vocalists. They do not come across as pleasing to my ears.

I think I might actually just maybe enjoy some Coldplay compositions if only Chris Martin weren't there to ruin them.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Hi Pearl, welcome to the Superthread!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #285
The Male

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Quote:

But Chris Martin sounds like Bono on every song all of the time! And the guitarist puts reverb on his guitar, so he's basically Edge. You're fucked up if you can't hear that; four media outlets can!

Now.

Tags
superthread