CR SURVIVOR: On a Highway to the QF's! (E8-1)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Led Zeppelin. If they don't win it would be an unjustice. All personal taste aside, the legend of Led Zeppelin, their career, the artistry of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, the lengthy career and diversified catalog simply are no match for The Clash. This is a classic rock contest, so it should be about who's gained the most greatness and who is more truly classic.

Listen to any Classic rock station and you will hear anywhere from a dozen to two dozen well known classic songs by Zeppelin. The Clash have 2, perhaps 3, songs that are even recognizeable to the general public. So you may say, but they're PUNKS they don't need that hippy stuff! Well then, vote them high in a punk poll, and not a classic rock one. I cannot believe this is even a contest or an argument.

beli said:
The Clash

PS If you do make lots of basketball references can you please explain them so that females on the other side of the world can understand. Thanks.

I dont even understand Oz basketball let alone US basketball. :huh:

When I did the U2 Video Survivor playoffs of the four winners, I called it the FINAL FOUR after the NCAA basketball championship too. I always liked NCAA and NFL. But not baseball because it's boring, and not hockey because I never got into it living in a place where the lakes do not freeze.

The only Aussie sport I know is the old Australian Rules Football they used to put on ESPN in the 80's.

Congratulations on the baby, Beli! :cute: :wave:

Lilac said:
Led Zeppelin. If they don't win it would be an unjustice. All personal taste aside, the legend of Led Zeppelin, their career, the artistry of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, the lengthy career and diversified catalog simply are no match for The Clash. This is a classic rock contest, so it should be about who's gained the most greatness and who is more truly classic.

Listen to any Classic rock station and you will hear anywhere from a dozen to two dozen well known classic songs by Zeppelin. The Clash have 2, perhaps 3, songs that are even recognizeable to the general public. So you may say, but they're PUNKS they don't need that hippy stuff! Well then, vote them high in a punk poll, and not a classic rock one. I cannot believe this is even a contest or an argument.

This is not a vote for who you think is the most popular are recognizable band, but for who you think is the BEST band.

If the members of U2 were voting, they would be voting for The Clash.

STING2 said:
This is not a vote for who you think is the most popular are recognizable band, but for who you think is the BEST band.

All through this, I thought it was about who deserved it more and not just who we liked. If the BEST band is based on quality of musical talent and songwriting of a band who can write and play songs of almost any genre, from blues to ballads to metal to experimental stuff, that is Led Zeppelin.

If the members of U2 were voting, they would be voting for The Clash.

Is that an attempt to influence those who like the Clash because U2 likes them? (surely there is that faction, not accusing anyone in particular)

I don't know that they would vote Clash. I also heard Bono say once, "we loved Led Zeppelin when we were coming along in the 70's" As an artist, surely he can respect what Zeppelin has achieved. U2 are a band who are always changing their sound, Led Zeppelin always played different kinds of music and like U2 have a lot of diversity in their music. I don't hear that in The Clash at all.

Some very diverse Zeppelin stuff- they're more than just Stairway.

Tangerine, Thank You- beautiful slow ballads

Whole Lotta Love, Rock and Roll- Hard Rock

Dazed and Confused, Since I've Been Loving You- their unique way of blending blues with metal.

Carouselambra, Achille's Last Stand- Experimentational sounds

Night Flight- almost power pop

IMO, the Houses of the Holy and Physical Grafitti albums alone blow away everything the Clash ever did, and this doesn't even count Led Zeppelin 2 and 4 which most people consider to be their best.

Zeppelin's lyrics are in most cases BRILLIANT. They are poets, artists, and showmen. They are rock Gods with no equal. Even if you don't like their songs as much, how can you deny this is the BEST band??? :confused: :crazy:

Last edited:
Is that an attempt to influence those who like the Clash because U2 likes them? (surely there is that faction, not accusing anyone in particular)

no, not directly, but it implies there are folks here who would vote clash based on what u2 would be speculated to vote. which is almost the same thing.

the part i find hilarious about this is that the folks who ARE voting for the clash tend to display a slightly more eclectic taste in music, varying from just bands that a) u2 have endorsed or b) critics and/or fans of u2 have reccomended.

how can you deny this is the BEST band???

best band is still opinion. there's really no need to argue this any further.

Lilac said:

All through this, I thought it was about who deserved it more and not just who we liked. If the BEST band is based on quality of musical talent and songwriting of a band who can write and play songs of almost any genre, from blues to ballads to metal to experimental stuff, that is Led Zeppelin.

I don't know that they would vote Clash. I also heard Bono say once, "we loved Led Zeppelin when we were coming along in the 70's" As an artist, surely he can respect what Zeppelin has achieved. U2 are a band who are always changing their sound, Led Zeppelin always played different kinds of music and like U2 have a lot of diversity in their music. I don't hear that in The Clash at all.

Some very diverse Zeppelin stuff- they're more than just Stairway.

Tangerine, Thank You- beautiful slow ballads

Whole Lotta Love, Rock and Roll- Hard Rock

Dazed and Confused, Since I've Been Loving You- their unique way of blending blues with metal.

Carouselambra, Achille's Last Stand- Experimentational sounds

Night Flight- almost power pop

IMO, the Houses of the Holy and Physical Grafitti albums alone blow away everything the Clash ever did, and this doesn't even count Led Zeppelin 2 and 4 which most people consider to be their best.

Zeppelin's lyrics are in most cases BRILLIANT. They are poets, artists, and showmen. They are rock Gods with no equal. Even if you don't like their songs as much, how can you deny this is the BEST band??? :confused: :crazy:

Have you ever listened to Sandinista album by the Clash? That album has more styles of music than any single ZEP album.

If you voted for Zep because you think they are the best band, then good. In this match up, I think the Clash are better which is why I voted for them.

As far as who U2 would vote for, consider the fact that the Edge said the Clash were the greatest band of all time at the Hall Of Fame awards.

Last edited:
IWasBored[/i] [B] no said:

Have you ever listened to Sandinista album by the Clash? That album has more styles of music than any single ZEP album.

Yes I have. I realize they have dabbled in reggae, jazz and ska, but to me it all still sounds the same. Maybe it's because of Joe's 'unique' voice and guitar style, it all sounds like punk junk to me.:shrug:

If you voted for Zep because you think they are the best band, then good. In this match up, I think the Clash are better which is why I voted for them.

Okay, but have you ever heard Houses of the Holy, Physical Grafitti, or Presence? Or are you one who judges them only by Rock and Roll and Stairway?

As far as who U2 would vote for, consider the fact that the Edge said the Clash were the greatest band of all time at the Hall Of Fame awards.

I don't know if Edge really believes that or was just caught up in the heat of the moment. But regardless, it does not improve my opinion of The Clash if he likes them (if anything it makes me lose respect for his taste)

But you, STING2, why do you even care what U2 would vote for? I'm sure they would also vote for Kerry for President, but based on your FYM posts I'd say you would not. So what does it matter what U2 would do?

That is also an unfair stereotype. I like a lot of off the wall, unpopular stuff. Not the same kind of stuff I've seen you list, but different just the same. Other than U2, and perhaps RHCP, I don't think anything I have liked in the last 10 years has even gone top 40. And I NEVER repeat NEVER read what critics say, and I do not care. I also think Zeppelin sounds more 'eclectic' and artistic than The Clash.

i'd like to hear what some of those bands are. just curious if i've heard of 'em. the thing is, most folks here claim the same things, and they're nowhere near as eclctic as they say they are. i'm not exempt from this, i'm as narrowminded as the next person. i'm sick of hearing about it.

Yes I have. I realize they have dabbled in reggae, jazz and ska, but to me it all still sounds the same. Maybe it's because of Joe's 'unique' voice and guitar style, it all sounds like punk junk to me.

while i'm not going to defend sting2's WWU2D stuff (i don't exacty understand that myself either), i'm going to tell you that it's wonderful you think all clash sounds like the same "punk junk", but maybe some other people feel the same exact way about the zeppeling albums you listed. it all sounds like the same blues-based rock n roll to me.

THIS IS A TWO WAY STREET. why are we still arguing about it?

Sorry Brau, just one more comment.

Originally posted by IWasBored
other people feel the same exact way about the zeppeling albums you listed. it all sounds like the same blues-based rock n roll to me.

That proves you haven't heard those albums, or paid any attention to the lists I made. :sigh: There is NO WAY anyone could listen to Tangerine and hear any blues or hardly any rock. I could go on making examples, but it's useless. It seems you are somebody who thinks you are so 'punk' that you hate the 'hippies' or something. You're right, there is no need for us to argue anymore.

No, I will not make a list for you to pick apart as to whether or not you think I'm 'eclectic' enough for you by your standards.

Somebody come put this thread out of its misery.

Last edited:
Lilac said:
Sorry Brau, just one more comment.

That proves you haven't heard those albums, or paid any attention to the lists I made. :sigh: There is NO WAY anyone could listen to Tangerine and hear any blues or hardly any rock. I could go on making examples, but it's useless. It seems you are somebody who thinks you are so 'punk' that you hate the 'hippies' or something. You're right, there is no need for us to argue anymore.

No, I will not make a list for you to pick apart as to whether or not you think I'm 'eclectic' enough for you by your standards.

Somebody come put this thread out of its misery.

didn't you hear me? it's not a one-way arguement. i can say the same exact thing...let's see...oh! i can't believe you listened to "broadway" and it sounded like "complete control" to you! there, now how does that sound? and weren't you also the person who said that the clash never did anything past rock the casbah and should i stay or should i go? or was that someone else? i can't remember, and only the mods know where the thread went...

i've got nothing against zeppelin. i don't like the vocals 99% of the time, but i do recognize them as being the legends that they are.

and yes. i fucking hate hippies. but that's a whole different story.

:banghead:
Again, it only proves you haven't heard the songs, or it would be impossible to think that, whether or not you like it. So your point is invalid. I think you hate them because they are hippies and have only heard maybe 4 songs by them, so you really shouldn't comment on something you are not informed about. BTW, I am a hippie, a flower child, and proud of it. And I don't dig punks. :p

That's what it was all along, I bet, the 'punks vs. hippies' thing :tsk: Oh never mind.

Last edited:
goddamit. you're not even reading my posts, are you. your point is not valid.

i hate hippies because i live in fucking amherst, MA. have you ever been out here? if you have been, you'd probably hate hippies too. i don't consider zeppelin hippies. i consider dreadlocked, unwashed, pothead greatful dead fans to be hippies. this has nothing to do with anything in this thread.
i don't know where you get off saying that i'm just a punk and that's my problem. perhaps it's something my posts unconsciously project. i don't know. but what's with you hating punks? huh? it's just because you're a dirty hippie, isn't it.

TWO WAYS, LADY.
hippies do need to stop existing.

too true.

Last edited:
Lilac,

"Yes I have. I realize they have dabbled in reggae, jazz and ska, but to me it all still sounds the same. Maybe it's because of Joe's 'unique' voice and guitar style, it all sounds like punk junk to me"

Well, I think you should realize that U2 identify's with a lot of the Punk/New Wave movement although they are different. They certainly don't regard the Clash as Punk Junk. If you have listened to the Clash all you want to, ok. But the Clash are not very well known like Led Zep is and I think most of the general public is not familar with a lot of their material.

"Okay, but have you ever heard Houses of the Holy, Physical Grafitti, or Presence? Or are you one who judges them only by Rock and Roll and Stairway?"

I've listened to Led Zep's entire catalog.

"I don't know if Edge really believes that or was just caught up in the heat of the moment. But regardless, it does not improve my opinion of The Clash if he likes them (if anything it makes me lose respect for his taste)"

The Edge said this in a carefully prepared speech inducting THE CLASH into the Hall Of Fame.

"But you, STING2, why do you even care what U2 would vote for? I'm sure they would also vote for Kerry for President, but based on your FYM posts I'd say you would not. So what does it matter what U2 would do?"

Its very simple. U2 are expert Musicians NOT Politicians or Diplomats. I definitely consider their instincts and idea's on music because they are great musicians. I also do consider their idea's in politics but that is not what they know best.

But in any event, regardless of where U2 stands politically and musically, I listed their strong support for the Clash because its become obvious that many do not know about that and the Clash are not as well known by the general public as Led Zep is.

The Clash have sold a total of 4.5 million albums in the USA compared to over 100 million in the USA by Led Zep. Everyone knows about Led Zep, which puts the Clash at a disadvantage in any poll.

STING2 said:

The Clash have sold a total of 4.5 million albums in the USA compared to over 100 million in the USA by Led Zep. Everyone knows about Led Zep, which puts the Clash at a disadvantage in any poll.

Which means they have a longer, more successful and more legendary career, and are better known to more people, even casual and non fans, which means they deserve the classic rock title more, and that is all I was trying to say in the first place.

If it were a PUNK poll, I'd vote for The Clash!

BTW, I'm not much for John Kerry myself ;)

The vote as I understand is about who is the best band regardless of style of music or popularity. The "Classic Rock" term is a general term that can be applied to a broad number of groups or bands.

hell, "classic rock" stations play pearl jam...we could just as well have them in the poll.

STING2 said:
The vote as I understand is about who is the best band regardless of style of music or popularity. The "Classic Rock" term is a general term that can be applied to a broad number of groups or bands.

If it were about best band in your opinion regardless of style or popularity, it would have been called Your Favorite Band. It's called Classic rock, and that means it should reach a certain lofty level of popularity, and hold to a certain style (rock) otherwise you could just throw in anything, country, accordian music, or whatever somebody claims they like and is 'best' to them.

DaveC, didn't you mean for classic rock to mean the songs that are generally accepted as classic rock, and the ones played most on classic rock stations?

Yes, The Clash are on there. A lot of bands are. But this is a contest, a narrow them down to the very finest thing, not a stick in who you want because you feel sorry for them and want to help them out game. There are so many good bands, some of my favorites didn't even make it. But even if they did I would not vote for them over a band that deserves the title more.

I guess this is like, one for the ages, a part of history, and you have to be honestly fair about it regardless of your personal feelings. For example, if you were voting for 'best' and most legendary football team of the '80's, you'd have to pick the 49ers since they won 4 Super Bowls, even if you are a huge Chicago Bears fan and think their defense was tough. Sure the '85 Bears were great! But you can't argue with the fact that the 49ers were greater because they had more Super Bowls. Would it be right to vote for the Bears just to 'help them out' when they weren't the true honest winners? You can't really give it to someone when there's someone else who deserves it more based on what YOU want. Yes to me this is more of a historical and legend thing than a just personal choice thing.

Originally posted by IWasBored
"Maybe if we ignore it, it will go away. Maybe if we beat it with sticks, it'll go away for a lot longer."

I can only hope so, but I'd never be so lucky!:eyebrow:

It doesn't work, sweetie :) Things like this only piss them off and make them want to stay longer.

But of course, I'm a hippie. Peace and love! :wave:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom