Coward, South Carolina Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bengal somewhere, I think.

How about Dipesh Chakrabarty? This prick was once at Melbourne University.

“History” as a knowledge system is firmly embedded in institutional practices that invoke the nation state at every step—witness the organization and politics of teaching, recruitment, promotions, and publication in history departments, politics that survive the occasional brave and heroic attempts by individual historians to liberate “history” from the meta-narrative of the nation state. One only has to ask, for instance: Why is history a compulsory part of education of the modern person in all countries today including those that did quite comfortably without it until as late as the eighteenth century? Why should children all over the world today have to come to terms with a subject called “history” when we know that this compulsion is neither natural nor ancient?

History isn't ancient? Shit, some Greek and Roman guys are going to be terribly disappointed to find out they weren't historians.

What about all those myths too that are meant to be historic? Did we make those up in the last two centuries? What about JEBSUS!:sad:

Ax, I've gotta say you're handling that Edge Buys a Yacht - Stop Dissing Bono ;'(!!! thread better than I could and have.

Really, it's silly.

Wow, I take that as a high compliment. Also, Gabe's rant amused me.

What about all those myths too that are meant to be historic? Did we make those up in the last two centuries? What about JEBSUS!:sad:

Oh, this is the hilarious part. Ashis Nandy tries to force a binary distinction between history and ahistory, and argues that mythology is an alternative way of understanding the past. I'm actually partly writing my essay on this and coming back with the point that History is the interpretation of the past, and mythology relies on particular interpretations of the past, thus it contains history and uses it for its own moralising purposes.

I wish Paul McGuinne$$' bank would close down and he lost all his money; then the album would be out tomorrow!:wink:

You know who would manage Paul McGuinne$$'s savings well?

Lehman Brothers.

Guys my marketing book says people don't buy TVs until they have kids! and single people don't buy Fridges! I think this book is just talking bullshit now

Guys my marketing book says people don't buy TVs until they have kids! and single people don't buy Fridges! I think this book is just talking bullshit now

What the hell.

Though ... my TV is actually the TV Mum bought when we moved to Australia over a decade ago, and I bought my fridge when I was technically still with Kate.

Then again his savings could probably save any bank...

Hm, true. Maybe we should split up his savings, put them in multiple banks on the verge of collapse, and watch his wealth erode.

:laugh:

You aren't feeling too white right about now, are you Bonnie?

I think I should change my location to: A Melbourne tram with Bono™, bound for Deflects R Us™.

You know, if it had blown up into a big argument or something, I'd totally use Deflects R Us™.

Also, Bonnie, re: DI review, I can always count on you to provide a good opinion in a hilarious manner. :lol:

GG2! I was thinking earlier today that I hadn't seen you around these parts for a few days too many. :wave:

yea, it's always mo-wed that I"m busy with school, the rest of the week I'm off :wink: so I'll be on tomorrow morning/your evening...

:hug: how've you been?

You know, if it had blown up into a big argument or something, I'd totally use Deflects R Us™.

Also, Bonnie, re: DI review, I can always count on you to provide a good opinion in a hilarious manner. :lol:

Well, just you wait!

I was waiting for you to reply in the thread. :(

yea, it's always mo-wed that I"m busy with school, the rest of the week I'm off :wink: so I'll be on tomorrow morning/your evening...

:hug: how've you been?

Awesome. :drool:

I've been working on the essay from Hell and procrastinating in a big way. Doing some proofreading of it now before adding some final touches.

How about yourself?

:shh: Guys, it's not going to blow up into a huge argument or anything. I wasn't trying to rant on y'all, you should know when I'm truly ranting :lol:

Have no fear, Gabe - I went into the thread with no hostility! No, I knew where you were coming from. I've seen you when you're ranting. :wink:

:tsk: procrastrination... bad thing

:uhoh: how the eff do you spell that word???

:hyper: I just picked up my license this morning! gonna drive toniiiight!

:shh: Guys, it's not going to blow up into a huge argument or anything. I wasn't trying to rant on y'all, you should know when I'm truly ranting :lol:

Damnit man, and here I was on the verge of a new inside joke and location! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom