Cover Bands...yay or nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
What's your feeling on cover bands?
I mean, really, a friend told me recently that if I start a band or start singing like I hope to do soon, I should do all covers at first to hook people and then gradually put in my own songs.

Maybe its fine for some people but I will NEVER be a cover artist.
I think its a good way to pay tribute to a band you love for a night maybe. Or by adding a couple songs into your setlist. Or by organizing a tribute cd. But bands who are just cover bands are missing the point of playing music.

Your selling yourself WAY short by only being known for playing other peoples songs; Even the band "Elevation", though they may be exiting to watch, are, in essense leeching off of another bands songs.

Personally, and this is just me, I would never be content or satisfied in a cover band. Contentment would come when I wrote and sang my own songs, songs that come from "within" me.
I can't imagine the good feeling knowing that other people could be affected by my music.

Anyway, I'll shut-up now.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

I want to be in a No Doubt cover band (no joke) but I can't sing anything like Gwen.
Some cover bands are a good idea. The Neil Diamond cover band in "Saving Silverman" is classic, just thinking about it makes me laugh.

Well I'd have to say Yay on that one.

I used to know a U2 cover band - and they were quite good musicians in their own rite.

I think that the reason bands become a "cover" band is because the music influences them greatly in their approach and their desire to become musicians.

I think it's a great compliment and a token of respect to a band for people to want to play like their "inspiration"

I don't see anythign wrong with that. I certainly don't think it diminishes their abilities as artists just because they want to follow in someones footsteps so to speak.

Riding on someone's coattails - well I don't see that at all. Although you are playing someone else's music or style of music, you still require a degree of talent to pull it off, otherwise noone would listen. What draws someone to listen and what keeps them listening are two different things entirely.

Hahaha - sometimes I do stray in my point don't I. Oh well, I think you get what I'm trying to say.

And to ELEVATION - the TO kind, I haven't seen them as yet, but will be on Friday and I hear they are great as a cover band.
smile.gif

I will NEVER EVER go and see a U2 cover band EVER.

It would be like kissing your sister, and I think anyone who likes to see U2 cover bands doesn't really appreciate U2 music properly.

Don't even dare try to tell me a fake "Bono" singing "Wide awaaaaaake" ... gives you the same emotion as Bono signing it.

I like to hear other people's versions of U2's music.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:
...I think anyone who likes to see U2 cover bands doesn't really appreciate U2 music properly.

Well that's quite a harsh accusation. I for one, have only seen one cover band - "Rattle&Hum" and I can tell you it was a hell of a lot of fun. They were really great, but DUH not U2. Just a good time and really quite talented.

As for your question Basstrap... I would imagine a lot of the musicians who end up in cover bands are talented in their own right, but perhaps don't have the ability to write their own music. A lot of performers aren't songwriters so it could be a great way for them to be able to do what they love--> play music and why not at the same time, paying tribute to a great band?

First I would like to say that The Unforgettable Fire is a good cover band, and the singer becomes Bono. Exit is good but I don't really care for the female voice doing U2 songs. Generally I do not like any cover band because each song is distictive to each artist who wrote it and it doesn't sound right by someone else. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom