Courtney Loves Mental Health

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
What I want to know is why doesnt someone HELP her. Family, friends, counsellors involved in her many criminal charges, someone, anyone. Im not a fan of hers at all but I think this is so sad. Violence, boob licking, break and entering, loosing custody of one child, miscarrying another, drugs, etc. :sad:

If I fell that far out of the tree I would really hope someone would catch me.

Where are her friends?

I think Courtney Love is so talented and it is really heartbreaking everything she has gone through and is going through. From what I've read and seen about her, I don't think she has anyone to depend on -- her family has been crappy (her father wrote a book saying she murdered Kurt Cobain) and so many of the people who should have had her best interests at heart like managers, band mates and associates have used her and turned against her for their own gain. I wish the best for Courtney and her daughter but don't know how possible that is with all that's going on.

Maybe they're trying to help her, but she's refusing to go along, doesn't feel it's as bad as people are saying or something like that.

Whether that's true or not, I hope people do manage to finally get her taken care of, because that girl really does need some help.

Angela

You can't force an adult to get help unless they hurt themselves or someone else. Until she herself admits to a problem and gets help on her own, there isn't much anyone can do.

She can be forced into drug treatment because of her current charges but unless she actually thinks she has a problem, she'll just go through the motions and tell everyone what they want to hear.

Its very sad but I don't see her being around very much longer :|

I think that Jim Barber, her ex-boyfriend, was a very bad guy who was only interested in her because of the unreleased Kurt Cobain material. He left his wife for her, then left her for her assistant? What a louse...and a lot of her legal problems now are connected to him one way or another.

Hearing about Courtney now is like watching a train wreck. Poor Frances Bean...

You'd think if she really loved Kurt and watched his downward spiral she would be determined not to let herself meet a similar end. You'd think she say "look at my poor kid, she's been through so much" and change her ways. I hope she does someday.

beli said:
What I want to know is why doesnt someone HELP her. Family, friends, counsellors involved in her many criminal charges, someone, anyone. Im not a fan of hers at all but I think this is so sad. Violence, boob licking, break and entering, loosing custody of one child, miscarrying another, drugs, etc. :sad:

If I fell that far out of the tree I would really hope someone would catch me.

Where are her friends?

Though I have not done any of the things Courtney has, I feel I can answer that question from personal experience.

What happens is, when you are in a position for people to look down on and disapprove of, they don't want to 'help' you. They want to ridicule you, talk behind your back about what a disgrace you are, even laugh at you. I'm talking family here, and the people closest in your life. They may want things to be better for you, but only on their terms. The also are very good at cleansing themselves from any guilt by saying 'it's her own fault' or 'she shoulda done this' or 'she shouldn'ta done that and this never woulda happened.' Which may be true, but that's not doing anything to help things NOW, is it? Even if she dies, I'm sure they'll all go, well, she did it to herself, it's not my fault!

WHY do people who allegedly 'love' you act this way when you need them most? My theories are that they really can't be bothered in their own little world, so they do anything they can to condemn the person in their minds so that they are able to get rid of any pangs of guilt they may feel for not helping. It's easier that way. People will go so far as to say the person does not 'deserve' help and even that they aren't 'worth' it! (I've had those things said to my face) Also, I honestly believe that some people even subconciously use the failures, problems and downfalls of someone close to them to bolster their own self esteem, feeling superior because it's not them, and no matter how bad they feel about themselves, at least they're not Courtney (or Michelle, or Joe, or whoever it is) The final theory is, maybe they really just don't care!

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:
i'm curious as to how many people here have read anything about courtney's life/kurdt's death, etc...

I have read a book about Kurt's death and a Kurt biography.

Imo the woman is self destructive. I don't feel sorry for her, from what I have read/ seen on tv she is a monster. We never know what happens behind closed doors though and who knows exactly what she has gone through but I'm sure many people have tried to help her. I think she has to want to help herself before she can change.

Lara Mullen said:

I have read a book about Kurt's death and a Kurt biography.

Imo the woman is self destructive. I don't feel sorry for her, from what I have read/ seen on tv she is a monster. We never know what happens behind closed doors though and who knows exactly what she has gone through but I'm sure many people have tried to help her. I think she has to want to help herself before she can change.

I feel the same way. I don't feel sorry for her at this point...sad yes, because I hate to see anyone self destruct but I don't feel pity or think this is totally out of her control. She knows first hand what drugs and depression do to a person and if her daughter isn't enough incentive to stay clean or get help when she backslides, I can't feel sorry for her. She was clean (by all apearances anyway) for a while but I think people like her can't live without drama and chaos...its too boring.

There comes a point when you are a friend or loved one of someone like Courtney when you have to step back and start focusing on your own life...they will suck you right down into their black hole if you let them....and you can't "fix" someone who continually tells you to fuck off and mind your own business or that they don't have a problem, which I'm pretty sure the people around her have been dealing with for years.

The only one I feel sorry for is the poor little girl who didn't ask to be born into this shit.

She's an addict. Relapse is part of that by definition. The recovery rate for addicts is very, very low in this country--something like around 5-10%--and that's just for people who enter treatment programs; most never do that.

So on the one hand I feel bad for Courtney the way I feel bad for any addict. You can say "she brought it on herself," but when you're dealing with an addict you aren't really dealing with the real person, you're dealing with who they are as an addict so in that sense, she didn't exactly bring it on herself--she was more than likely born with the genetic predisposition to addictions, just like some people are born with a genetic predisposition to cancer.

So the best one can hope for with someone like Courtney is that in a moment of sobriety she will have the strength, discipline, wisdom, support and the appropriate level of fear (for example, her daughter's well-being) to enter treatment and stay there for the rest of her life. It's a tall order.

And on the other hand, I have never liked her music or her personality or anything about her so it's hard to feel sorry for her when I find her so unlikable. Yet it's impossible to know who she would/could be if she were committed to sobriety.

I'm currently dealing with a similar situation with a friend. :|

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:
The only one I feel sorry for is the poor little girl who didn't ask to be born into this shit.

:up:. Hopefully she'll learn from this and not follow their path. That'd be good.

Also, I do agree that a person has to admit to wanting help before anyone else can help them. I just hope that happens with her soon, so that anybody out there who does care about her will then get her the help she wants and needs.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I'm currently dealing with a similar situation with a friend. :|

:( :hug:. Hope all turns out well with your friend.

Angela

I hope it helps her..

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Embattled diva Courtney Love is a "troubled rock star" who now has a legal guardian and has been admitted to an "institution" in the eastern United States, her civil lawyer has said.

The revelations came during a civil court case in Los Angeles on Tuesday, held four days after the widow of grunge rocker Kurt Cobain was rushed to a New York hospital just hours after a warrant was issued for her arrest because she failed to turn up in court to face unrelated criminal charges.

Civil attorney Robert Ring made the comments as he represented the 40-year-old singer and actress in a lawsuit in Los Angeles in which she is accused of failing to settle her legal bills.

He did not elaborate on why 40-year-old Love now had a legal guardian or what kind of institution she had been admitted to.

What she needs is a residential rehab program of at least six months- or better, a year. Whether she decides to do it is another story. She's in a bad place that will get worse before it gets better. She has little or no control over her impulses at this point. I feel for her, it's a terrible way to live.

Najeena is exactly right.

Its tragic that it's come to the point where she needs a legal guardian but for her daughter's sake, I hope she gets better.

I've read a bit about her life and what an incredible shit her father is, for one thing.

It's become the "hip thing" to bash Courtney in some circles, spreading conspiracy theories about Kurt's death, slagging her for every note she's ever played or sang, and frankly it makes me sick.

I liked Hole's sound and energy a lot better than I ever liked Nirvana.

I hope this is a program that helps her clean up for good. Her daughter needs her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom