Courtney Love on 'Bono Talk'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leanne

The Fly
I found this at a Radiohead site:

You met The Strokes recently. What advice did you give them?

"Lots of top secret advice. You'll have to ask them."

Which one's your favourite?

"I liked them all. I liked the Hammond kid. He's smart, a hustler in a good way, and Julian reminds me of me in this weird way. Maybe me when I was 20 crossed with Joey Ramone. Like sort of a shitkicker fucker but totally nice. But people don't know if he's nice and he's schlumpy in a cute way. I brought Winona and, you know, in the great Americana tradition (with her not having heard a word of hype and without context) I watched as her hair stood on end her eyes glazed over and she uttered, barely audibly, 'Jesus... not... since... The... Replacements... '. If Winona loves you, it's a moment. She's sort of one of the bridges you have to cross to greatness. But then I had a sort of quibble with Julian about the 'Bono Talk' when it comes and how when it was my turn and Kurt's turn for the 'Bono Talk' we were idiots and turned him away and were too embarrassed. I sort of begged Kurt to take the 'Bono Talk' because, fuck it, if I had listened to it I'd have avoided a buttload of trouble for myself. And Julian sort of made a face about the 'Bono Talk' and Winona got up and said, 'That's fucking it. I'm out of here. Bono's family to me. Fuck this, fuck you,' and I had to calm her down with one hand and say, 'Look, Winona, when you come from punk the "Bono Talk" freaks you out. Ease him in. Don't get all huffy - he's a punker kid.' So, I was holding her hand and holding his hand and I said 'You know, I'm a little bit older than you.' Julian points to Winona and me and says, 'I'm just fucking overwhelmed.' And I was like, 'Dude, there are supermodels back here who probably breast-fed you and you're overwhelmed?! Get over it.' And that's sort of it. I wonder if his tale is different than mine. There's more to it, but that's as much as I'm going to put into an overlong article."

I am still confused at what Bono talk is but if you want to read more of the interview go to

[This message has been edited by leanne (edited 12-04-2001).]

The "Bono talk" is when Bono will sit down with musicians riding the fame wave or at the cusp of a breakthrough - he will tell them of pitfalls to avoid and ways to stay grounded. He has had this talk with many - Oasis, Eddie Vedder, Axl Rose, Trent Reznor - you name it, he's talked to them - not always resulting in his intention, but that's what the "Bono talk" is.

we may one day fully understand 'bono talk' but first we have to understand 'courtney talk' to figure out what the hell she is talking about.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

I actually have grown to understand her.
She talks without breaths, and writes as fast as she thinks.

Yeah, and then I'm all "Hey Billy, are you sure you should park that there". And he was just riding his bike all over the place like it was nothing. So then we're trying to just push the thing through, but when you're pickin' apples it's always hard to find a good contract and you can't rely on your instincts in that type of situation. Of couse if Derek hadn't turned it off before it over-heated, I'd probably still be in Memphis! That's what I like about science fiction, you know? It's like, you've never really lived until you've swam with tuna. And I'm not talking about a slight dip, I'm talking about major corporate take-overs and being true to yourself no matter how many people you piss off and sh*t like that. That's why I never take the bus. It's just too much of a hassle. So I said, "Dude, I'll give you one more chance to get it right and then it's time for me to sweep the hacienda. You know what I'm sayin'?" And that just about did her in. I've never laughed so hard in my life!

Spiral_Staircase, that was so freakin' funny. Thank you!

Anyway, i thought Bono did give Kurt a little Bono talk back in '93 in Italy. I think Nirvana opened for U2 for a couple shows there, and I remember Bono saying something about having a little talk with Kurt on how to keep his perspective. Obviously, it didn't help much. But, as Courtney says, maybe they didn't pay enough attention. See? You end up dead, people, if you don't listen to Bono!

LOL @ Spiral!

Originally posted by Judah:
See? You end up dead, people, if you don't listen to Bono!
Yeah, if you don't do yourself in, he might even take care of it for you. Didn't he recently talk about paying people to beat up his enemies?

Back
Top Bottom