Counting Crows: Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
In typing this I feel like a battered woman returning to her abusive husband. They said they would never do it again after recovering the satelites. that it was all a big mistake and that they were drunk and high. I believed them, but then they punched me right in the ear with dessert life and yet I came crawling back for this new one.

I am filled with 'meh'.

I am done.

571780265lds4.jpg

That's reason enough to be done, Dalty.

August and Everything After was a great debut album. Since then, they've done maybe--maybe--a single album's worth of decent songs. It took them far too long to follow up Hard Candy, and I really think they're far past the point of being relevant (if they ever were). The few songs I've heard off this new disc are awful. I didn't make it through a single one of them. I'm done, too.

Counting Crows could be a much better band than they are. Adam Duritz can be a great songwriter, but he's lazy about 3/4 of the time. I'm all about controlling metaphors and such, but he writes about the same damn things over and over (we get it, dude, you can't sleep :crack: ). It doesn't help that the band has gone through so many line-up changes. I saw a recent publicity shot of them, and I have no idea who half the guys are.

Agreed as well. The debut is the only one I can listen to all the way through, but I have their next two albums after that, and there's at least one really great song on each.

His voice really grates on me, though. I can only take them in small doses.

I love this Amazon.com description of 'August and Everythin After'----

It's amazing the difference a year makes. Upon its release, August and Everything After sounded remarkably fresh, a welcome change from the crunch and screech of grunge. Blending the vocal athleticism of Van Morrison with the moody rock of The Band, the Counting Crows turned on a whole legion of fans turned off by modern rock. But what sounded fresh soon became stale as dozens of bands flocked to the radio with euthanized versions of the Counting Crows' sound. But you shouldn't hold that against the Crow boys. August and Everything After is a fantastic rock album. Though "Mr. Jones" was the moneymaker, the disc features such standout cuts as the dark lilt of "Anna Begins," the morose "Rain King," and the outstanding U2-meets-Grant Lee Buffalo anthem "Murder of One." Maybe time, and another listen, will heal the damage wrought. --Tod Nelson

It kind of sums up the Counting Crows experience, huh? I like them a lot---there's not a day that Mr. Jones won't get me belting and feeling awesome. But yeah, they've felt pretty flat lately.

I probably won't pick up the new album, though I may actually go and pick up "August..," as I've never actually owned it but would like to...:hmm:

Here's a band that really had some potential...

The lead singer takes some time off from touring and becomes a bartender to become more grounded and disassociate himself from the sudden fame he's thrown into and what does he come up with??? Some of the worse contrived bullshit we've seen. Live may be playing carnivals now, but at least they didn't write 'Accidentally in Love'...

That song has special meaning for me :wink: It's actualy one of the only Live songs I can still tolerate, besides that one that always feels like a Faulkner novel to me.

Fake dreadlocks.

Raping Big Yellow Taxi.

Either one of those alone is all I need to never listen to these guys again.

And this is coming from someone who saw them on tour for August.

lazarus said:
Raping Big Yellow Taxi.

My English teacher made us listen to this in connection with our current unit. I wanted to choke myself.

Another unit involved a Creed song, and I was one of the only kids in class who hated it, but loved the contrasting Kate Bush song - making me the crazy one.

Back
Top Bottom