counting crows...but with john mayer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
(as with the nine inch nails thread, my deepest appologies if this has already been posted)

i love the counting crows. i'm willing to look past "big yellow taxi" with whatever her name is singing on it...

but touring with john mayer? i know there are a lot of people here who hate john mayer and a few who like him, i don't mean to start an anti-john mayer thread.

i guess the thing that gets me is that it's listed as jahn mayer with counting crows, not the other way around...like a support act. kind of like the idea of bad religion opeining for blink 182, it just seems wrong. it seems wrong that john mayer is the bigger more popular artist/band. but that's all just a matter of opinion

anyone else ever decided not to go see a band they really like based on who they were touring with?

I'm actually going to see this show in August, and I've seen it promoted as a "double bill"--not like one is opening for the other. I'm looking forward to seeing both John Mayer and Counting Crows.

And I know there are John Mayer haters here, but you can't say the guy isn't talented--he writes good songs and plays a mean guitar. Just because someone is young and attractive and doesn't sound like Radiohead doesn't automatically mean that they're a prepackaged, talentless hack.

On an almost opposite note, I think I was almost as excited to see Ben Harper open for Dave Matthews Band as I was to see Dave Matthews Band themselves.

having never seen opening bands before, i need to ask,

who actually picks these guys? the band? the record label? the concert promoter? i remember reading once oasis toured with screaming trees, despite the fact that the two bands disliked each other. why is that so?

If you can see The Counting Crows,you should , they are really good live.......as for John Mayer I could'nt say...

John Mayer is a douche.

I like that one song about 10 years high school reunions, but his ego is just too out of control. Your body is a wonderland, sheesh what kind of pappy crap is that?! Ass.

Ive been a Crows fan forever, although recently Ive stopped listening to them as much as some tastes change....

As far as seeing them live, I have twice, once after the Recovering the Satellites album, with The Wallflowers, and the other time after this desert life, with Live.

At both shows the other band was better than the Crows, may just be my bad luck, but Adam seemed pissed off, hot, and upset in general. (granted it was a steamy hot August day in the midwest)......however, the latter show was a duel billing with Live and I wasnt expecting that. (although they were good)
I say, if you dislike Mayer then dont go.......

Honestly I dont go and see opening bands bc I typically am always running a little late.

with the exception of Rage Against The Machine and No Doubt(both opening for U2) I wanted to see those bands.

I've seen the Crows 2wice. Once for the Desert Life tour, and the other about 5 months ago for Hard Candy. Both amazing, amazing shows. Adam's voice was kinda hurting him for the Hard Candy show, so they did a ton of stuff acoustically. They are such a tight band.

I guess my vote would be to go see the Crows/Mayer show but go get unbelievably pissed during Mr. No Talent Ass Clown's opening set.

Well if Counting Crows play first and John Mayer sucks as much as advertised, it'll get you a head start on traffic.

I saw the Crows in 2000 with Live, very good show. Highlight was Adam coming out to duet with Ed on "Dolphin's Cry" (Even got a high-five from Adam)

i dont like either band or artist, but i somewhat respect the crows compared to mayer. mayer is a flashinthepan TWO hit wonder who will (hopefully) be forgetten in one or two years time.

I can't stand John Mayer.. but I :heart: Counting Crows. I would NEVER let the dislike of an opener suade me from not seeing a show. I'm only hurting myself from being too stubborn to sit thru 40 mins of someone else's music.. when the band I really want to see will be on for 2 hrs.

I'm seeing the Crows tour in September. Hopefully Mayer will have left the tour by then. 4th row, baybeee. :hyper:

Why does everyone hate John Mayer? Seriously, have any of you actually heard any of his songs besides "No Such Thing" and "Your Body Is a Wonderland"? I mean, I think I have pretty decent taste in music and I thought Room for Squares was great. What's this all about?

HelloAngel said:
I can't stand John Mayer.. but I :heart: Counting Crows. I would NEVER let the dislike of an opener suade me from not seeing a show. I'm only hurting myself from being too stubborn to sit thru 40 mins of someone else's music.. when the band I really want to see will be on for 2 hrs.

I agree on all counts. Just because John Mayer sucks is no reason not to check out Counting Crows. I'd go!

paxetaurora said:
Why does everyone hate John Mayer? Seriously, have any of you actually heard any of his songs besides "No Such Thing" and "Your Body Is a Wonderland"? I mean, I think I have pretty decent taste in music and I thought Room for Squares was great. What's this all about?

Pax,

I can't speak for everyone, but I would never blindly say I didn't like a musician after only hearing their hits. I've heard his albums, and it's just not my thing. I find him bland and boring, and he sings like he has something stuck in his throat..

That you like him has no reflection on your music taste, chica. He's popular for a reason, and it's because alot of people really like his vibe. There's no problem there.

He's just such a....

douche.

One Dave Matthews/Sting wannabe is already one too many. I've heard his album, it stinks. It stinks real bad.

there are other factors involved, money, no car, and a two hour drive are keeping me from going other than the fact that i can't stand john mayer. but i really would consider not spending the money based on the fact that i may or may not be subjected to a shorter set and/or listening to john mayer (it all depends on who's on stage first). i've seen the counting crows twice, the first time was before i even liked them (on the tour with live), and seeing them live made me a fan. aside from duritz joining live on "the dolphin's cry" it was also really cool when live and galactic (the opening band) came out and did "hanginaround".

my mistake about the double billing vs. opening band thing...the way they've been advertising it here makes it sound like they're not touring as equals.

Pax....I am not afraid to say I rather see John Mayer than Counting Crows. I do not like the Counting Crows, and doubt I ever will. They are boring. Although I haven't heard Mayer album....I do like his singles. Does it mean I buy the album or pay to see him in concert...no. But he has nice poppy songs on the radio.

Pap is good stuff

I think "Your Body is a Wonderland" is great stuff,... brilliant. A song you can bonk too. Mayer is a good guitar player even though I don't think his songs show it.

Counting Crows had a lot of poppy stuff on the radio but never stopped me from appreciating. I head they are really good live.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom