Count the leechers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Utoo said:

The smallest way would be to at least say "thanks."

That's the most amazing and irritating part. Look through the WITS share threads. Count the members from Nov 2006 with 2 posts or members from 2001 with 40 posts----how many of them said "thanks?" It's just plain piss-poor, IMO. Selfish to want people to say 'thank you?' Maybe. But piss-poor nonetheless.

They could've thanked the sender via e-mail. That's what I normally do.

I sent it to god-knows-how-many, and I got 7 replies....and half of those were people I knew anyway.

I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon, but..... Eh, I guess I am curmudgeonly. :wink:

redhotswami said:

I have never ever ever seen that word used before!

My dad uses it all the time. :crack:

Oh, btw, does anyone here have Window In The Skies?

JUST GIVE IT TO ME NOW OR FACE SEVERE CONSEQUENCES. :| NO THANK YOU'S. EVER.

Last edited:
Utoo said:

I'm kind of on the fence about lurking. I have a few friends who lurk on various forums & post more on others. Part of me can totally see how one might want to use the site mainly for news and rumors. That's all good. And I can totally see how one would want to get in on the action when a new track or leaked track is being circulated.

The part that gets annoying is that this----the forum section, at least---is kind of a community. The news section on the main page--no. The forum section, yeah. As a member of a community, you would kind of hope that people who benefit from you---be it your research on rumors or your posting/sharing of files---would at least contribute in some small way. The smallest way would be to at least say "thanks."

That's the most amazing and irritating part. Look through the WITS share threads. Count the members from Nov 2006 with 2 posts or members from 2001 with 40 posts----how many of them said "thanks?" It's just plain piss-poor, IMO. Selfish to want people to say 'thank you?' Maybe. But piss-poor nonetheless.

On a side-note, I'm surprised how many lurkers found this thread. Lemonade Stand is perhaps the one sub-forum where the most "community" occurs. Do you lurk in here? That makes no sense to me. There's no news, there's no sharing. There's just people chatting with each other, making games with each other, etc. Lurking in here is almost like watching the members of Interference on TV. "Haha...Canadiens just posted another funny thread!" To just watch the personal side of the community in action and not contribute...that's a little weird to me. :shrug:

Yes, it is a community. But I think some people join out of initial interest, and then either lose interest or simply don't have time to spend on the forums. Then one day they end up here - checking news, just surfing, whatever - and see a thread relating to a subject they find interesting, post a bit, and then go back to other things. In the few weeks that I've been posting regularly now I've been amazed at how much time can be spent here - it is a community, and a commitment. Start a thread asking for opinions, and then you have to check it regularly, because people have taken the time to answer your question, and you want to take the time to listen to them. The blue crack is some powerful shit.
To answer your last point, I think many lurkers may have found this thread because of a "related threads" link at the bottom of another discussion.

bgmckinney said:

In the few weeks that I've been posting regularly now I've been amazed at how much time can be spent here - it is a community, and a commitment. Start a thread asking for opinions, and then you have to check it regularly, because people have taken the time to answer your question, and you want to take the time to listen to them. The blue crack is some powerful shit.

Welcome to the jungle, my friend! :wink:

redhotswami said:

I have never ever ever seen that word used before!

Blame my 10th grade teacher and my friends who thought it was funny to emulate her all the time. Left me with a pretty funky vocabulary!

Lila64 said:
I know YOU said thanks :sexywink:

Anything for you, Lila! :wink:

Maybe some people just don't feel like they'll ever be part of a "community" here for a variety of reasons, I don't think they should be called "leechers" for that because they ask for a song. I'd be just as willing to send it to them as I would someone with 20,000 or more posts- that is meaningless to me.

And for the record I was asked by many people to send them the Tony Bennett/Bono song when I chose to offer- the ones who sent me a thank you were the ones I rarely if ever see here, the ones who didn't were regular posters. So there you go :shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Maybe some people just don't feel like they'll ever be part of a "community" here for a variety of reasons, I don't think they should be called "leechers" for that because they ask for a song. I'd be just as willing to send it to them as I would someone with 20,000 or more posts- that is meaningless to me.

And for the record I was asked by many people to send them the Tony Bennett/Bono song when I chose to offer- the ones who sent me a thank you were the ones I rarely if ever see here, the ones who didn't were regular posters. So there you go :shrug:

well put.

Back
Top Bottom