Corporate takeover of venues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Just staring at my Elevation t shirt, and I was amazed at the number of corporations that the venues are owned by and named after. Here are some Highlights.

National Car Rental Center (Now the Office Depot center)- Miami
Phillips Arena- Atlanta
Compaq Center- Houston
Pepsi Center- Denver
Pepsi Arena- Albany
Continental Airlines Arena- New York
MCI Center- Washington DC
First Union Center- Phili
America West Arena- Phoenix
Target Center- Minneapolis
St. Pete Times Forum- Tampa
Staples Center- LA
General Motors Palace- Vancouver
Delta Center- Salt Lake
United Center- Chicago
Air Canada Center- Toronto
MY VERY OWN Nationwide Arena- Columbus
HSBC Arena- Buffalo

But, the crowning award for the worst named venue goes to....

THE DUNKIN' DONUTS CENTER, IN PROVIDENCE, RI!

Also, U2 didn't play at these venues, but they deserve a mention nevertheless.......
XCel Energy Center @ Rivercenter- St. Paul
ctnow.com Meadows Music Center- Hartford
Hi-Fi Buys Amphitheater- Atlanta
Smirnof Amphitheater- Dallas
Post-Gazette Pavilion- Pittsburgh
Autowest Amphitheater- Sacramento
Cricket Pavilion- Phoenix
US Bank Arena- Cincinnati
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater- Indy, San Antonio, Kansas City, Virginia beach, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Houston, Manchester NH
*off a DMB site

The worst name for a venue that I saw was one I found on the Rolling Stones website while browsing their tour schedule:

GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT CENTER in Nashville.

Imagine it! "Hey man, did you catch that Stones show at the Gay Center?" People don't think. Oh well. Just thought I'd write this, cause I think these venue names are dumb.

The_acrobat said:
Just thought I'd write this, cause I think these venue names are dumb.
Yeah, I noticed this when I started getting some Elevation boots and it bothered me too. Remember when buildings were named after people?

Heck there's loads of funny European soccer stadium names. My fav? Arnold Schrwazennerger Stadium, home of Sturm Graz in Austria. There's also the Reebok Stadium (Bolton Wanderers, England). And of course, Gay Meadow of Shrewsbury Town, but that's less famous. Hehe.

I guess the corporations keep the venues in tip-top shape. Dunkin Donuts sounds a bit silly though.

yes, I think someone actually did a study and found the percentage of corporations that paid millions to put their name on a stadium.

a huge percentage had very sever financial woes...

Corporate whoredom.

Some schools are starting to be named after corporations. I wonder if you're allowed to criticize business and their practices in these schools?

Melon

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Yeah!! Why can't we get back to the good ol' days when Stadiums and Arenas had names like Wrigley Field!!!

Wait a minute... :scratch:

p.s. Continental Airlines Arena is in East Rutheford, New Jersey... not New York.

Isn't East Rutherford and NYC suburb that just carries over into another state? I just thought that, could be wrong.

Ice Palace ---> St. Pete Times Forum
Reunion Arena ---> American Airlines Arena
The Summit ---> Compaq Center
San Jose Arena ---> HP Pavilion
St. Paul Civic Center ---> Xcel Energy Center
Providence Civic Center ---> Dunkin' Donuts Center
Brendan Byrne Arena ---> Continental Airlines Arena
The Spectrum ---> First Union Center
Deer Creek Music Center ---> Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Sandstone Amphitheater ---> Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Virginia Beach Amphitheater ---> Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Irvine Meadows Amphitheater ---> Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Aerial Theater ---> Verizon Wireless Theater
Foxboro Stadium ---> Gillette Stadium
Three Rivers Stadium ---> PNC Park

These all suck. Give me the Summit over the Compaq Center anyday. Sounds cooler.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Yeah!! Why can't we get back to the good ol' days when Stadiums and Arenas had names like Wrigley Field!!!

well team/building owners need the money and evidently there are enough silly corporations still eager to participate.

a few thoughts:

the RBC Center in north carolina is curious. RBC is canada's largest bank...i think they took over a southern bank are looking to expand there so maybe its not all that curious after all.

ottawa's arena, which is presently mired in bankruptcy negotiations, was renamed the corel center after just months of being the palladium at its opening.

is MSG the only unnamed stadium left? i can also think of giants stadium, ralph wilson...all in/around NY state...and the packers place...

The_acrobat said:

Reunion Arena ---> American Airlines Arena

those are two different places, mate :sexywink:
but that doesn't matter, because "American Airlines" still sucks:der:

Last edited:
I thought this thread was going to be about Clearchannel,

they are slowly sucking the soul out of popula music.

I am afraid the only way some parasites die is when they kill their hosts.

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Now wait just a minute, you have raised a point of contention that irks 100% of the people from the great state of New Jersey.

Continental Airlines Arena, formerly Brendan Byrne Arena (aka Meadowlands Arena) is in East Rutherford NEW JERSEY. The problem is it is relatively close to the Lincoln Tunnel and New York City.

What sucks is when a band comes to the arena (usually when not playing MSG in New York) and says "hello New York!!!!" trying to get a rise out of the crowd.

The crowd always cheers, however deep down they are pissed because they are in New Jersey...

Back
Top Bottom