Corny Point, South Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Andy purchased the site, he extended everyone's premium membership, so really, very few new premiums have come in since then. He told me the other day that the ads made like $3.00 in one day. That is shit. It would actually help if everyone say clicked on 1 ad a day, but I guess he doesnt want to have to ask people to do that. I am not sure I can share any more details, but as I said above, trust me.. this site is NOT making tons of money by far.

Hey Sicy, that sucks. I hope my money helped, especially since the Aussie dollar has taken a real downturn lately.

I don't mean to butt in, but if only Andy would let the public know about the business aspect of this site I think more people would understand and be less inclined to be so pissed off. Because no, it is not making any money and he put a very large amount of money into it when he purchased the site so I can understand his frustration and being worried about it.

Certainly I understand he doesn't want to pour money down the drain. But as somebody actively involved in running a very resource-hungry U2 site as well, it's just hard for me to comprehend how this site can be evidently so expensive to maintain while my own site isn't. Surely a few hundred users online loading threads 10-30 posts at a time can't be that much more demanding than a few hundred users loading stats pages that can sometimes need data from >700 individual listings? I have, however, no experience running a forum, so I am quite open to correction on just how resource-hungry it can be.

He is also trying to make an effort to please people (he's working on the premium thing and the ability for them to turn the ads off) but at the same time, with any business investment, you want the investment to make money, or at least break even. So please try not to be so hard on him. That's all.

Fantastic to hear that. :up:

And I don't mean to seem as if I'm being hard - just confused (and sometimes trying to make humour out of it).

Hey Sicy, that sucks. I hope my money helped, especially since the Aussie dollar has taken a real downturn lately.

Thanks for that. :up: I've already emailed him about your upgrade and waiting to hear back on when he can get it set up so that the gold premiums can turn the ads off.

Thanks for that. :up: I've already emailed him about your upgrade and waiting to hear back on when he can get it set up so that the gold premiums can turn the ads off.

Ah, cool. To be honest, I forgot it was meant to do that.

Also, how is it going with figuring out the image troubles? Avatars seem okay, but sigs, such as mine, won't work. Is this likely to be resolved soon?

Certainly I understand he doesn't want to pour money down the drain. But as somebody actively involved in running a very resource-hungry U2 site as well, it's just hard for me to comprehend how this site can be evidently so expensive to maintain while my own site isn't.

I honestly don't know a lot of the technical stuff, but keep in mind he paid a large sum of money to purchase this site, where you probably didnt.

Ah, cool. To be honest, I forgot it was meant to do that.

Also, how is it going with figuring out the image troubles? Avatars seem okay, but sigs, such as mine, won't work. Is this likely to be resolved soon?

Let me see if I can get it working. Maybe because its a png file?

Night Liam :wave:

If I was to make one nit-pick with the ads it would be that they just seem really out of place and pointless most of the time

I honestly don't know a lot of the technical stuff, but keep in mind he paid a large sum of money to purchase this site, where you probably didnt.

More than "probably didn't". I became a site maintainer because I kept bombarding Matthias with setlist additions and it was just easier for him to recruit me and let me edit things myself! :lol:

So I couldn't tell you about any of the expenses associated with the site prior to when I joined. Since then, beyond our standard expenses, we've just shifted domain names from U2VT to U2gigs.

Is there any way to advertise certain things, stuff that the average regular member here might be interested in? I can't think of any Interlanders in a rush to get new giant emoticons or vote on a 50 Cent poll, but say some kind of a store selling, uh, charity merchandise. That would get a few hits from here. I mean, I figure that the only person clicking on any Hannah Montana ads is GAF.

Is there any way to advertise certain things, stuff that the average regular member here might be interested in? I can't think of any Interlanders in a rush to get new giant emoticons or vote on a 50 Cent poll, but say some kind of a store selling, uh, charity merchandise. That would get a few hits from here. I mean, I figure that the only person clicking on any Hannah Montana ads is GAF.

This is a good point; I agree entirely. I remember when Andy first changed the ads, for at least a good couple of weeks, the ad was exclusively for some Edge/Music Rising thing. I thought that was really good. I've noticed recently that one of the ads I've gotten a few times is to do with some interactive Red Rocks celebration - again, seems quite fitting.

But some of the other ads seem to only be good for our amusement/horror. Need I dig up gayCHUBBYdating again?

Damn.. not sure why I'm sorry. I'll have to wait to hear back from Andy.

Ah hell, I just noticed the time. It's about 1.5 hours later than I thought! Woops. Goodnight, Superthread. :wave:

It's fine, I'll just put in a Søren Kierkegaard quote in the meantime. :)

:lol:

The nerd in me would really appreciate a Hegel quote.

The nerd in me would really appreciate if somebody else knew why. Prizes* for correct guesses!

*The prize is that there is no prize.

Axver, what's the word when you have a few different schools of thought all on one subject, but none of them can be used together because they negate each other. It's one word and I can't think of it, and need to put it in this paper I'm writing.

Axver, what's the word when you have a few different schools of thought all on one subject, but none of them can be used together because they negate each other. It's one word and I can't think of it, and need to put it in this paper I'm writing.

Contradictory? Mutually exclusive?

Why is the hardest thing when writing anything that I always write way too much? :(

Heh, I seem to have finally worked that to my advantage. I was struggling on my "world is doomed" essay, feared I'd barely scrape within the 10% leeway below the word limit ... then I managed to blather enough and I'm probably going to end up almost over the limit. Win. (It's always best to be nearly breaking the 10% leeway above the word limit. Assuming you don't go off on tangents and stay focused the entire time, it looks very good to a marker, like you know your shit and have said all you could possibly say within the given space. I keep that in mind with every essay I write.)

Anyway, I was leaving. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom