Corny but true, growing up in Aus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
I'm talking about hide and seek in the park. The corner milk bar, hopscotch, billy carts, cricket in front of the garbage bin,skipping,handstands,footy on the best lawn in the street. British bulldog 1-2-3, go home stay home, slip'n'slide, the trampoline with water on it, hula hoops, pogo sticks,stepping in enormous puddles,mud pies and building dams in the gutter. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.

'Big bubbles no troubles' with Hubba Bubba bubble gum. A choc-top Mr Whippy cone on a warm summer night after you've chased him round the block. When 20 cents worth of mixed lollies was a meal and smoking fags was really cool.

Wait....... Watching Saturday morning cartoons...short commercials,The Thunderbirds (if you got up reeeeeally early), the Smurfs,AstroBoy, He-Man, Captain Caveman, Archie, Jem (truly outrageous!!)and heeeey heeeeey heeeeeeey it's faaaaaaat albert. Or staying uplate and sneaking a look at the "AO" on the second telly.

When around the corner seemed far away, and going into town seemed like going somewhere. A million mozzie bites, wasp and bee stings. Sticky fingers. Cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, riding bikes and catching tadpoles. Marco polo in the neighbours' pool ("fish outta water?!""NOOOO"), drawing all over the road with chalk. Climbing trees and building cubbies out of every sheet your mum had in the cupboard.

Walking to school, no matter what the weather. Running till you were out of breath. Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for the giggles.

Being tired from playing... Remember that?????? The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons werethe ultimate weapon. Cricket cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle... eating raw jelly, making homemade lemonade and sucking on a Funny Face red Freeza.

Remember when... There were only two types of sneakers - girls and boys. Dunlop volleys with the green 'n' gold or blue and the onlytime you wore them at school was for "sports day." You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents! It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas eve. When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When 50c was decent pocket money. When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for 10c. When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there from school. It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb. When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at the local Chinese
restaurant with your parents.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed her or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it. When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! Some of us are still afraid of them!!!Didn't that feel good?

Just to go back and say, yeah, I remember that!

Remember when... Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo" or scissors, paper, rock. "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly". The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was boy/girl germs, and the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one. Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a slingshot.

Nobody was prettier than your Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better. Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable vitamin C's. Ice cream was considered a basic food group. Going to the beach and catching a wave was a dream come true. Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dare". Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most of these, then you have LIVED!!!

Did you write that?
Angie thats awesome!!!
I did it all.
I loved making sheet cubbies with all the dining room chairs.
Making ice blocks in those plastic tupperware iceblock holder things.
Astro Boy and Roger Ramjet, He Man every morning, and Friday nights eating Leggo's spaghetti while watching Inspector Gadget on channel 2.
I had Dunlop Volleys until I got my oh so cool Pink Apple Pies. Remember Apple Pies, Ange?
My uncle STILL removes his thumb, and wiggles around his false tooth, plus squeezes your knee if its within arm's reach.

Wet N Wild slides in the backyard, those clam sandpits that could be a kiddie pool and running around the sprinkler.
Yeah, all true true true. :)

ha ha ha = all of this was so cool to read, yes I remember Apple Pies and Dunlop volleys and slip and slides in the back yard in summer time.......I also remember The afternoon show on the ABC, Its a knockout and Pugwall, those commemorative medallions that were in a gate fold that every school kid got in teh Bicentenary in 88 and at school you got all of your friends to sign it......this list could go on and on but my fondest memories always involve Christmas Day- being hot, having eaten too much and playing cricket, with most of the oldies trying to stand up-right after drinking too much, in the backyard:)

Angela Harlem said:
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was boy/girl germs, and the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.

Whad?? I had goosebumps (=good) every day that I sat next to The Crush of my pre-pubescent life.

foray

OMG PUGWALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oz, you just sent me crashing back to the 80s when my best friend and i used to sit and laugh hysterically for half an hour at that stupid show
NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO
NO NOT ME

How the hell did I just remember the flippin theme song?!!!! :scream: :scream: :scream:

The Afternoon Show was hosted by Michael Tunn who then went to JJJ and became cool lol
and that James Valentine guy who now hosts the Movie show on Showtime!

Last edited:
Yep, Cartoon Connection in the morning (pre Agro it rocked - Alex Whileman and that guy), The Afternoon Show in the umm, afternoon.

I owned Castle Greyskull therefore I owned the playground.

Who remembers 'Cities of Gold'?

Who went to Expo '88?

Your cousin owned this 'Joshua Tree' shite but you always threw on 'Whispering Jack'.

All this shows is that we are getting old.

haha tyles
michael someone his name was. i was going to say stipe but obviously no..
i loved it with alex and michael, she has hardly aged either.
i was allowed 2 weeks off school in the middle of year 8 to go to expo 88. i still have the mug with the platypus on it. those lines for canada were huge.

its a knockout
good god
nothing speaks QLD like its a knockout, sorry bman and oz but its the truth :laugh:

TylerDurden said:

Your cousin owned this 'Joshua Tree' shite but you always threw on 'Whispering Jack'.

Hey you guys can't be that old - i remember this stuff!!!

Cities Of Gold, Monkey Magic, Chronicles of Narnia (complete with those beavers hahaha)

Actually a friend of a friend at uni just got the DVD boxset of Cities of Gold apparently...

Thanks for the thread. I do remember and it was nice to think on the simpler times of childhood. :)

i remember liking ABBA and watching Neighbours :shifty: And getting boxes and playing inside them or inside the washing basket

I also remember when we had to move house and I remember being outside a place where a bomb went off and killed ppl :|

I remember once we found a dog and we tried to keep him and made him a kennel which was jsut a box but he was nasty and tried to bite my brother

I remember the paddling pool we had in summer and that game where you put this thing round your ankle and skipped over a little ball, and LOLO balls and skipping!!!!

and playing house/ school and hospital

___
:wave: my mums childhood story is scary

TylerDurden said:

Who went to Expo '88?

All this shows is that we are getting old.

Ahh the Cities of Gold- this was my most favourite show when I was younger, I loved watching those guys on their quest for El Dorado and if there is a DVD out, well you can be sure that I will be looking earnestly for a copy of that and Expo 88 was quite cool, because I live just north of Brisbane I got to go there quite a bit, although becasue of those massive queues I didnt get to see many of the major exhibits, we mainly went into the smaller pavillions- heaps of Pacific Island nations- whatever had small lines and my fave pavillion was the Russian one- very nice and full of lovely antiquities:) and yeah Jack was everywhere back in 86, everyone I knew had a copy of that:)

Aye I forgot about this thread! Unfortunately manda babe, I cannot take credit for writing it, but anyone who has read it has said they could have. Isn't it funny how similar everyone's childhoods really are?
So many little things. I loved 'Big bubbles no troubles' with Hubba Bubba bubble gum but mum would never let me have the bubble gum off them til I was about 6 as she would scare me by saying I would choke on it and it could wrap around my lungs. This was the same woman who told me not wearing a jumper would get me triple pneumonia and Mr Whippy played the music to say he had run out of icecream.
Remember when it cost 20 cents to get into the swimming pool mand? Toobs were like 40 cents a packet and soft drink was the same. A bag of 20 cent mixed lollies always had the fake teeth and you always had to chew them over your real ones and pretend you had dentures.
Family holidays were always to The Entrance or Bundeena where my aunty lived and had access to 5! beaches. 5! I was so impressed.
Its a Knockout with the MacDonald sister. I can never remember which one it was. Jackie? how much did we all want to run along those big floatie things on a 50 metre pool! We could have done it too, of course :)
Even though we all lived on standard one acre blocks with massive yards, we would play cricket on the street, using the bins as wickets until someone for christmas would get those cool 'real' ones on the stand. The game was interupted every 5 minutes as someone would yell "car!" and we moved it all to the footpath.
Thunderbirds are go!
Geez. I feel old.

Sorry about the bomb Lara babe :(

OzAurora said:

Ahh the Cities of Gold- this was my most favourite show when I was younger, I loved watching those guys on their quest for El Dorado and if there is a DVD out, well you can be sure that I will be looking earnestly for a copy

I LOVE Mysterious Cities of Gold!! There are usually VCDs for sale on Ebay. My boyfriend bought the whole series that way and sent them to me so I've been watching them lately. :) There are also some other great 80's cartoons available.

Back
Top Bottom