Copy-protected CDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Anyone else NOT having trouble putting these on iTunes? My old computer would barely read Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, but now I can upload the whole thing in seconds and it plays fine. Same thing with the new Foo Fighters and Velvet Revolver. I'm actually quite happy about it, even though it's a bit unusual.

yeah, i know. thing is, i've had the same computer since i got those cds but for whatever reason they rip fine on here now.

wonder what happened?

I've never had any trouble at all with those CD's. Maybe there's something in a past iTunes update that wiped out the "protection" and allows you to import it without any problems. I'm not complaining though, since I listen to all my music on my iPod anyway, it would be ridiculous to not be allowed to upload and import a CD onto that.

speaking of which, i have a question: is there a difference between copy-protected cds from country to country? like, if you have no problem ripping one from the u.s., should one from europe be okay too? i've been told the ones from europe are brutal (i've heard it from the ones released on the virgin label but i don't know if they're all bad) but i reeeeeeeeally wanna pick up some cds that are import-only. but if they're uncrackable, i won't bother. :down:

UnforgettableLemon said:
My old computer would barely read Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, but now I can upload the whole thing in seconds and it plays fine.

I have experienced the same thing with that album. Itunes still won't let me upload 2+2=5 or the opening tracks for quite a few protected records.

Re: Re: Copy-protected CDs

cujo said:
I have experienced the same thing with that album. Itunes still won't let me upload 2+2=5 or the opening tracks for quite a few protected records.
i have the same problem. :angry:

2+2=5 is actually on my top 25 most played, because i keep clicking on it like an idiot hoping that one of these days it will play.

I refuse to buy this Copy Control Crap. And now I'm saddened to hear that they're also being introduced in the USA. :tsk:

I mistakenly bought three of these CCC CDs in the past. One was fine (Speakerboxxx/The Love Below by Outkast), one I couldn't rip properly to my computer (Feast Of Wire by Calexico) and one even refused to play in my car CD player (Is 10 by Supergrass). So that's it, no Copy Control Crap for me. :mad:

How do you know if a CD is copy-protected or not? I wasn't aware that Hail to the Thief was because it's always ripped OK.

Back
Top Bottom