Coolest sporting event you've witnessed in the flesh? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2002, 04:27 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Coolest sporting event you've witnessed in the flesh?

Anyone care to share?

My favorite would have to be when my dad, husband, and I drove to Detroit for a wedding, and when we walked in the door, my aunt gave us tickets to see the Red Wings at the Joe. Since I'm a huge fan, to luck into tickets was awesome. It was also when they were defending Stanley Cup champs, so tickets were hard to come by.

Most infamous: I was at the Oklahoma/Colorado football game when the Boomer Schooner fell over.

Surely someone else has got better ones. Let's hear 'em!

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Old 05-17-2002, 07:30 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:29 PM
saw every home game of the maple leafs 94 cup run, right up to wayne gretzky high sticking douggie gilmour, and not getting a penalty before scoring the game winner.

saw the jays in the world series for a game but i don't like baseball so that was kind of a wasted ticket.

Old 05-17-2002, 08:04 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 05:29 PM
February 20 1991, Everton 4 Liverpool 4
Old 05-18-2002, 01:05 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:29 PM
In '92, I went to Disneyland, and got the LAST TWO tickets for the Kings vs. the Habs at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood Cal. Gretzky was still in his prime (yes, he had the magic then), and I got to see him score 4 points against Patrick Roy (a goal and three assists). He could have had 5 points, but he tripped over his own feet while on a clear cut breakaway. It was as though he tripped over the red line. All the fans were on their feet, all anticipating a big goal, but were suddenly left in total disbelief as he fell. Gretzky just doesn't trip over the red line, you know? Especially not on break-aways.

To Kobayashi:

I remember that alleged high stick against Gilmour, but as I remember it was really only Don Cherry who agreed it was a legitimate high stick (as he's practically in love with Gilmour). Gretzky simply took a slap shot, and on the back-swing clipped Gilmour -- who was crouching down very low towards the ice at the time, I might add. It wasn't at all intentional, and nor was it high. Gilmour shouldn't have had his face down by the ice, especially behind a back-swing.

By the way, do remember game 7 of that series? Gretzky getting 3 goals, and 1 assist in Maple Leaf Gardens, scoring the winner off a bank shot that no else could have ever imagined in that situation. That may have been his greatest NHL game, ever.

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 05-17-2002).]
Old 05-18-2002, 02:29 AM   #5
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
Anyone care to share?
1. Cal Ripken's last game.

2. I saw Bobby Knight's last great Hoosier team make their first trip to Penn State in 1993 and get handled by a pretty pathetic Nittany Lion bunch. State had them beat, but with less than 30 seconds to play in regulation, the zebras obliged the number one team in the country at the time with two inexcusable calls. Indy won in double OT.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:19 AM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
February 20 1991, Everton 4 Liverpool 4
Did u see either of the Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 games in 96-97?

Old 05-18-2002, 07:00 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Yes I was there for both of the Newcastle games. Although memorably I walked out of the last one with one minute to go in disgust, thus missing the final goal.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:24 AM   #8
New Yorker

haha! yes I can imagine football can have the journos hastily rewriting their leads

I left the cricket with a couple overs to go one year, Nasser Hussain and Mark Ramprakash had put together a longish partnership to keep out the aussie bowlers...halfway to the parked car we heard a roar, then another, then another. On the car radio we discovered England had lost both batsmen and the nightwatchman in the last couple overs hehe

Most memorable sporting events, hmmm

1. Adelaide Crows v West Coast AFL game 1995- they were defending premiers and undedeated thru the 1st three games of the new season, whereas we'd lost our 1st two. We scored 4 goals in the final quarter (wed only managed 3 to 3 quarter time) and came from behind to win by a few points

2......the rest are all cricket so i wont bother hehe
Old 05-18-2002, 10:38 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Saw game 5 of the '86 World Series, when Bruce Hurst pitched the Red Sox to a 3-2 series lead, don't remember what happened the rest of the series.
Possibly the most amazing individual performane was game 5 of first round of NBA playoffs(1990 or 1991), Celtics vs. Pacers.
Larry Bird was late in his career, playing with a bad back. Took a cheap shot forearm to the back from Chuck Person, and had to leave for the locker room. Returned to a thunderous ovation, took the game over in the 4th quarter and led the Celts to victory.

Other amazing feats:
Freddie Patek (all 5'4" of him) hitting 3 homers and doubling high off the green monster at Fenway.( He probably had like 8 career homers)
Minnesota Twins turning2 triple plays in one game at Fenway.
Missed Yaz' 3000th hit by one night.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:45 AM   #10
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by brettig:
Did u see either of the Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 games in 96-97?

Which website do you use to find these stats?

Um, I guess mine, apart from a whole bunch of great AFL games, would be the 2000 Olympic and Para Olympic games. Up til that point I'd always been proud of my country and loved the live atmosphere of any game but not in a Rah Rah kind of way. That changed everything though, when we scored the 1st goal of the game (it was a soccer match) I could finally understand what made a spectator cry with joy. Half the stadium cried, and I got all emotional and funny over it too. Weird. With the para games, it was different. We saw many events as they sold day passes and you could just wander around and see whatever was on. Those athletes are phenomenal. Nobody gave a hoot really what country they were representing. They all shone. Quite an unbelievabe experience. Actually one event, was the track, about a 50 metre sprint. One competitor was itellectually disabled. He was dancing around the start and not looking very serious, His coach jogged up to him clamed him down and the race started. he took off like z shit and kept running and running and running until the same coach had to go chasing after him to tell him it was over and he won. When it came time for the medal presentation, the whole stadium errupted. He didnt seem too interested in his medal, just the fact that everybody was cheering his name. So he turns the the camera and does a big thumbs up and another little dance. I have never seen a medal presentation go for so long. It was so funny and so...great. Just fantastic stuff.

Old 05-19-2002, 01:31 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
To kobayashi:

I remember that alleged high stick against Gilmour, but as I remember it was really only Don Cherry who agreed it was a legitimate high stick (as he's practically in love with Gilmour). Gretzky simply took a slap shot, and on the back-swing clipped Gilmour -- who was crouching down very low towards the ice at the time, I might add. It wasn't at all intentional, and nor was it high. Gilmour shouldn't have had his face down by the ice, especially behind a back-swing.

By the way, do remember game 7 of that series? Gretzky getting 3 goals, and 1 assist in Maple Leaf Gardens, scoring the winner off a bank shot that no else could have ever imagined in that situation. That may have been his greatest NHL game, ever.

ahhh, don't come into toronto saying that truly a moment that will never be forgotten but may be partially healed soon if the leafs can pass the canes to be honest i don't clearly remember the play and haven't seen it for ages but your version of events sounds plausible(cherry + toronto being in arms over nothing )

i do remember that night. i was only 13, convinced the maple leafs were gonna win that night and a few days later i would be at the cup final games. i was so disappointed goind home. only later did i realize what an incredible performance it was by gretz.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 08:29 AM
infamous: When Cleveland Browns' player Orlando Brown was hit in the eye by a ref's flagrant flag. The result was he pushed the ref over, and was ejected.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:18 AM   #13
War Child

Liverpool V Barcelona, Uefa Cup Semi 2nd Leg 2001

Been to Anfield a few times, but this was the best! The game itself wasn't exactly a cracker, Liverpool won 1-0 with a Gary Mac penalty, but it was edge of the seat stuff! The atmosphere was what did it though, unbelievable! Singing and screaming the team on all through the 90 minutes, apparently it wasn't as atmospheric since the St Etienne game. Blew me away anyway!

Not in the "flesh" as much, but watchin Ireland beat Holland 1-0 at Slane2 on the big screen last year, with 85000 others. That was fantastic! The place went feckin ballistic when McAteer scored, and when the whistle went... Bodies everywhere going mental with bliss! Wonderful day, really set the gig up superbly too, I'd say it was better than been at Lansdowne in fact!
Old 05-20-2002, 12:18 PM   #14
Acrobat

1995 World Series, Game 6

Tom Glavine throws 8 innings, gives up just one hit. David Justice cracks a solo homer for the only run of the game. Braves win 1-0 and capture the 1st major championship for Atlanta.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:29 PM   #15
The Fly

I was at every Glasgow Celtic Home game this season yet another title winning season for us Celts