Cool - going to see Neil Finn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guaca

Refugee
and I'm kind of happy about that. And Sula - I'm going to see Peter Yorn in June YAY!

Me thinks it will be quite enjoyable...
smile.gif

I love Neil Finn. I hope I will be seeing him in July. Have either of you seen him before?

Gotta love the Down Under guys--I just saw Midnight Oil, they were so amazing!

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

Well I've seen Crowded House before - I just love their music - I find it very moving and very much a story...I'm looking forward to going. Ed Harcourt - I have no idea who that is - I myself am going to see Neil - I've heard some stuff off the new album - don't have it yet but what I've heard I like a lot.

[This message has been edited by WhackaMole (edited 05-21-2002).]

I am quite jealous of anyone who saw Crowded House, though I know he does their songs in concert! I think he's gorgeous too! What is it about guys with big noses?
biggrin.gif

------------------

Neil Finn is undoubtably God-like in a musical sense from his days in Split Enz to the Crowdies stuff and on to his solo career he has never faultered in the depth and quality of his work and I would go so far as to say that he is in the top five songwriters of contemporary times- I believe that you will really like his new stuff, it is all beautiful- I wish I was seeing him live
smile.gif

and Cass- I can kinda see the similarities between the Prunes and Enz and gee I wish I could of seen the Enz live, but I was only very, very young when they were about, but I do remember the height of the Crowdies as my Mum was a huge fan of theirs and on a side note did you ever watch the show that Paul Hester had on the ABC a few years back called 'Hessie's Shed'????- I remember one night on that he had this great jam with Neil Finn, himself and Paul Kelly and a few other musos with Raymond J Barthlomew lerking in the background- it was truly great and spontaneous, wish that show was still on
smile.gif

Originally posted by OzAurora:
Neil Finn is undoubtably God-like in a musical sense from his days in Split Enz to the Crowdies stuff and on to his solo career he has never faultered in the depth and quality of his work and I would go so far as to say that he is in the top five songwriters of contemporary times- I believe that you will really like his new stuff, it is all beautiful- I wish I was seeing him live
smile.gif

I agree, he might be the best songwriter in the world or close. Genius. I already have One Nil, which was his latest album release down under and probably elsewhere, and today it's out as One All (apparently North Americans don't get the joke) in North America, with some of the tracks remixed and two new ones. I'm getting that one too!

I just bought a Split Enz album, but haven't yet listened to it properly.

------------------

Just a tad enjoyable, just a tad.

A side note whacka....I saw Split Enz in a small venue, years and years ago now ,late 70's ? They were like nothing I had ever seen or heard before. Neil was very much the little brother then,he looked like a boy( admittedely a boy with lotsa make-up) They were extraordinary.
A side note to my side note
biggrin.gif
I have often thought Tim Finn(Neil's older, also talented bro)reminds me of Gavin Friday. My jaw dropped during an episode of the doco "from A scream to a whisper- irish rock music" I had never seen footage of the Virgin Prunes before, and there they were on the other side of the world looking and behaving like Split Enz. There was a glimpse of an old U2 film clip I had not seen before and they were wearing almost identical geometric multi-coloured suits(those were the fashion days....not)

Anyway, Neil is a beautiful man and a gifted songwriter and musician. Enjoy the show.

I myself and waiting to see U2
biggrin.gif
)

OK now that you've hyped him up to god-like status, that's quite a weight to live up to.

I was a listener of Split Enz but never saw them live. Seeing Crowded House was great - saw them in small venue and also saw them at MuchMusic here in Canada for an Intimate and Interactive - and I'm really looking forward to seeing this show. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks
smile.gif

Neil Finn is pretty extraordinary, although I hate to admit I still don't think he has bettered the last Crowded House album (Together Alone, from 1993).

Still has the boyish charm - it's scary to think the man is well into his forties.

------------------
This one's for you Tony... you and your cronies

wow that's awesome WackaMole.

I totally love Neil! And I wish so much I could see him live in concert too, especially cause I've never seen him live before. But even just seeing his concerts on dvd/video is great. Don't dream it's over is my favourite song (does my signature give away anything?
biggrin.gif
) and the live version on 7 Worlds Collide is absolutely amazing.

And um.. I also have to agree with everyone who said Neil's gorgeous. He IS!!! 44 soon and still damn hot..
wink.gif

Well, enjoy the concert WackaMole
smile.gif

Love
Mara
~riverdraic?n~

------------------
Hey now, hey now, don't dream it's over

Originally posted by WhackaMole:
Ed Harcourt - I have no idea who that is

Okay, here I go....
smile.gif
Ed Harcourt is a 24 year old British singer-songwriter type person. He used to be in an emo-ish band called Snug (bass, keyboards, and some vocals), but they split about a year ago. He started his solo career with his album Maplewood where he played all the instruments (except for trumpet). His full-length album, Here Be Monsters, came out in the US in March. He used to be a chef. He likes animals. He's gorgeous, extremely funny, talented, and super nice. And all of these are magnified when he's drunk.
smile.gif
He has some of his songs and (hilarious) videos on his website, http://www.edharcourt.com . My favourites are "I've Become Misguided" and "Apple of My Eye," but they're all good. His music is very eclectic--everything from pop songs to ballads to folky sounding songs. It's all beautiful, but with an element of weirdness that keeps it from become too serious and depressing.

Oh, and the point here is that he's opening for Neil Finn at at least some of the shows on his North America tour.
biggrin.gif

------------------
A song is a beautiful lie

Yes he is opening up for him here in Toronto so I guess I hear him as well...all in all there seems to be alot to look forward to I think
smile.gif

I'll *Finally* get to see Neil Finn in concert when he comes to Chicago on 7/14. He's playing at the Park West, too, right down the street!!

I love all things Finn and if you don't already own his latest CD/DVD 7 Worlds Collide its well worth picking up. Hopefully violinist/keyboardist Lisa Germano will be in his touring band as she was last year. She's great (a top sessionist in her own right) and really steals the show on 7 Worlds.

I don't think his solo stuff has topped Together Alone, either...but then Together Alone is my alltime favorite album not named Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, or Tunnel of Love (Bruce).

Back
Top Bottom