Converting Video to DVD format questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGi

New Yorker
I am looking for some help converting some files to a DVD format.

I have some MPEG2 files that I would like to edit and then burn to DVD and some VHS files I would like to convert to be on DVD media. I have A/V inputs, but have never done this and am not sure where to start or what software to use.

Can anyone here recommend either a good tutorial or some ideas of where to begin?

thanks

I only know the professional software programs, so if there is anything more "home friendly," it is probably so simplistic that I don't know how to use it...lol.

For video capture: Avid XPress DV. The good news for you is that Avid has a free version these days:

http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp

(NOTE: The URL will probably be broken, because for whatever reason, this site keeps on converting the "." after "www" into a "_", even when I edit and fix it. I don't even want to know why it is doing this. :rolleyes: )

The bad news is that Avid Free doesn't export to MPEG2; just MOV. The good news is that Avid's MPEG2 exporter sucks ass.

Or you can use Adobe Premiere. Not as good of a video editing program as Avid, but I like its MPEG2 exporter, and it will let you use A/V inputs. Lots of options and the quality is good.

For DVD burning: Adobe Encore. Great flexibility and options for a program that doesn't cost $20,000.

The short: Unless you're a student, be prepared to spend about $1000. The Adobe Video Collection (Standard) runs at $999.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dvcoll/main.html

They have Mac versions of this program, although you might as well use Final Cut Pro for video capture and editing and DVD Studio Pro for DVD authoring on that platform.

Voila. ;)

Melon

Last edited:
Along the same line, last week we bought one of those TV to DVD recorders in anticipation of SNL and everything else ... tried it on 4 different TV's..couldn't get the damn thing to accept our cable-system/configuration...what a waste of time; we got our money back!

:(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom