Console Emulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Has anyone here ever used console emulators? For those who don't know, console emulators are small pieces of software that emulate the hardware of video game consoles. Most of the emulators out there are for older consoles - NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Turbo-Grafx-16, etc. These software applications load games for those consoles, in the form of ROM files(games are ripped to ROMS as CDs are ripped to MP3s). People who use emulators are probably between the ages of 20 and 35(somewhere in there I think), people who were kids when these consoles were actually around and want to be able to play these games for nostalgia and for fun. For these older consoles, they're not even sold anymore unless you buy them used, and games for them are even harder to come by. This is why emulation is pretty popular amongst the aforementioned age group.

So, has anyone here ever used an emulator(s)?

My friends have them on their computers, I've spent many an hour watching them play things like Excitebike or Altered Beast. Always enjoyable.

Turbo-Grafx-16? Wow, it has been a long time.

I have a Commodore 64 emulator on my PC. I grew up in the 80s with a C-64. I love playing these old games again.

I have a NeoGeo (SNK) emulator, just for SNK games, obviously

in my other computer I have a SNES and N64 emulators

I don't use them, I prefer play with my PS2, he

If I could figure it out, I most certainly would. Thing is I don't even bother trying because the game caches available for download that I have seen can wind up being several gigs.

inmyplace13 said:
If I could figure it out, I most certainly would. Thing is I don't even bother trying because the game caches available for download that I have seen can wind up being several gigs.

GIGS?! What are you trying to download, PS2 games?! The whole catalog of NES games won't be more than a few hundred megabytes, same for SNES and Genesis and TB16.

A few weeks ago, I imported this and this. They're regular old USB devices, and they're perfect for console emulation. I also have some arcade emulators (particularly for those old school Capcom fighters); the 10-year-old in me gets giddy over the infinite credits.

Last edited:
ewen said:
I have a Commodore 64 emulator on my PC. I grew up in the 80s with a C-64. I love playing these old games again.

I have one too.

Nothing beats playing the good old Bruce Lee game with the green guy and a Ninja following you.

Woo..i use SNES emulators mostly Zsnes i reckon is the best after that i would use Snes9x..though i also use an N64 emulator as since my brother sold ours a few years ago grrrr:madspit: :mad:

I enjoy all the games on the SNES i never got to play when i had it when i was younger....games like Chrono Trigger i adore...or Tales of Phantasia which never got a release in Europe...and of course Zelda: A Link to the Past:drool: though the Ocarina of Time for the N64 wopped its ass:drool: :drool: :wink:

Well I got a good NES emulator with about 80 games. That was kind of cool. I'm downloading an SNES one with a few hundred games and I'll just delete the ones I don't want.

I download an N64 emulator and then downloaded Goldeneye and Mario 64 :drool: Didn't work too well though. Think I'll keep trying to find a better emulator.

With the N64 emulators its important to get the right plugins...your emulator might be fine just you may ahve to get better plugins (graphic/sound) to make games work properly even then you have to tweak the plugin settings to get some games to run correctly...but it is all worth it for Goldeneye:drool:

inmyplace13 said:
Well I got a good NES emulator with about 80 games. That was kind of cool. I'm downloading an SNES one with a few hundred games and I'll just delete the ones I don't want.

I download an N64 emulator and then downloaded Goldeneye and Mario 64 :drool: Didn't work too well though. Think I'll keep trying to find a better emulator.

Where are you downloading N64 Roms from?

inmyplace13 said:
Limewire, so far all NES roms work great

You mean old 8-bit NES games? Yeah, they all work great.

Trying to emulate N64, however, is mostly a waste of time. The graphics are a bit glitchy, the games skip sometimes, and even with a Microsoft Sidewinder controller it's near impossible to make a configuration that matches the N64 controller. Also, trying to find N64 roms is much more difficult than finding roms for the older consoles/emulators.

Well I downloaded 750 SNES roms and those are flawless too. I just won't bother with N64 though, no big deal.

Now all I need is the SNES USB controller and I'm set.

namkcuR said:

You mean old 8-bit NES games? Yeah, they all work great.

Trying to emulate N64, however, is mostly a waste of time. The graphics are a bit glitchy, the games skip sometimes, and even with a Microsoft Sidewinder controller it's near impossible to make a configuration that matches the N64 controller. Also, trying to find N64 roms is much more difficult than finding roms for the older consoles/emulators.

hmm i had a bit of trouble with N64 emulators at the start but as long as you get the right plugins, they tend to work fine..i had Goldeneye working brilliantly before my comp crashed a few months back:mad:

LJT said:

hmm i had a bit of trouble with N64 emulators at the start but as long as you get the right plugins, they tend to work fine..i had Goldeneye working brilliantly before my comp crashed a few months back:mad:

What kind of controller were you using? No PC controller I've seen has an under-side z trigger button like the N64 controller.

namkcuR said:

What kind of controller were you using? No PC controller I've seen has an under-side z trigger button like the N64 controller.

My controller was pretty crap a Saitek one....but it serviced for a bit...hmm the only way to make the gaming experience complete is that i know you can get like a USB connecting device that allows you to hook up an N64 controller to the PC...i have seen them about somewhere hmm....

IMG_3025.JPG

How's that?

inmyplace13 said:
IMG_3025.JPG

How's that?

I've seen those things. In fact, I ordered the one that lets you hook an SNES pad via USB a few days ago, I expect it in the next few days. But the $12 for the N64 one won't be worth it because the graphics skip.

The SNES one will be worth it though because I'll be able to use with SNES, NES, Genesis, and TB16 emulators :wink:

Where'd you order the SNES one from? I've been looking to get one of those myself.

Back
Top Bottom