Congrats to the Aussies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
**cass graciously accepts the accolade on behalf of all Asutralians**
What did we do?
**cass imagines one of the down hill skiers hurtling down the run, breaking the leg of another competitor**
Am I close?

your guy got really lucky in short track speed skating and our 4-medal hopeful got fouled and injured
frown.gif
(nothing to do with the Aussies tho). Huge pile-up metres before the finish line and since the Aussie was way in the back and nowhere near the leaders, he was the only one left on his feet...therefore the first one to cross the line and win the gold.
smile.gif
So yeah...a bit bittersweet on our end, but congrats to you guys.

-sula

ridiculous...

nothing against the Aussie, but the only reason he was in the finals was because of a crash on the trials, and the only reason he wins the Gold is because the other 4 skaters crash, nice job by the a-hole Korean skater to knock over the American and Canadian skaters just a couple of strides from the finish line...

sorry to sound unsympathetic...but i think that was a bit of a get square for Jacqui Cooper, she wasnt a shoe in for the gold but pretty close to it when her knee buckled in training.

Its all about keeping your feet...

I'm sure future generations will take that strategy into consideration, brettig

anyway, I dont remember any other skiers skiing into Cooper when she was knocked out

blah blah blah (who cares as long as hockey team beats Russia)

The beauty of competitive sport. Shame about the other 3 guys.

Anyone (Aussies especially) remember that blondie fruitloop in the cycling? She was meant to be all set to take gold in...I believe a street race, and her foot slipped and she fouled up her start? She proceeded to blame the bike manufacturer, her coach, the pedal itself, her shoe, the Olympic committee, the biking body, the government and I think even Avon got a mention?

She eventually pissed off to America (sorry guys!) as she felt Aus was too unsupportive of the whole thing.

Anyway, my point is, nothing can hurt an athlete more than such a grave error. Unfortunately it happens, but I do wonder if the person who ends up taking gold really feels they deserve it.

Reminds me of that other time, some marathon or long distance track race, one fella was in the lead with some other bloke behind him, the 2nd one tripped or got an injury, the leader actually stopped to help him to his feet. Hows that eh?

hmmm just saw the incident on the evening news, not sure what to make of the ethics of that.Certainly perhaps a hollow victory for the Aussie. I saw his business partner (they make handmade speed skates in Oz) on the evening news. He sure was delighted about it. he said his mate ended up with over 100 stictches in his thigh from a crash in another competition. Ouch!!

lol@MSU2mike's way of looking at it.

I thought it was hilarious, esp. the Cand. and American falling all over themselves to finish the race. And the look of shock on Owen Bradbury's face when he won.
Congrats!

This is hilarious! This is the headline in the Ottawa Citizen today:

(CP PHOTO/Adrian Wyld)
Canuck slides to speed-skate bronze

The people of Australia will be dancing in the streets this morning in celebration of Steven Bradbury's victory in Olympic short-track speed skating. As soon as they figure out what short-track speed skating is.

yeah I know, thanks jezebel.
I actually meant what is going on in the Australian Winter Team as this is so absolutely bizarre. We've never won gold medals, we don't have snow here, its just too strange.
hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom