Congrats, Costello! (for animal lovers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Congratulations to Costello, Alaskan Malamute and winner of the 2006 AKC/Eukanuba National Championships! What makes Costello even more special is that he is one of the rare breeder-owner-handler dogs, meaning his handler bred and owns him (usually, dogs are bred, then bought, then the owners pay handlers).

I was a little disappointed that Mira, the amazing Belgian Malinois was again completely overlooked in the herding group (or I'm just bias b/c they are my favorite breed and NEVER get picked), but malamutes are truly stunning!

lg_IMG_8303.jpg

lg_IMG_8318.jpg
lg_IMG_8176.jpg

Last edited:
Carek1230 said:
BEAUTIFUL dog! I am going to share this with my sister, she used to have a Malamute.

One of my professors has two purebreds. She always introduces her family has her "husband, two kids, and over 200 pounds of dog."

Awww.... he is a beautiful dog. :)

I had a Malemute -- Rolf Haagendog. He was a wonderful and very smart dog. I really loved Rolfie. :yes:

What a gorgeous dog

Was that on yesterday? I missed it. I did see the Purina Dog Challenge which was taped some time in the summer in St Louis. I can't believe how some of those dogs go through obstacle courses, catch frisbees, and do long jumps into a pool. It always looks like they are going to hurt themselves.

The Westminster Dog Show is Feb 13th and 14th

He is beautiful! I'm so glad to see a pretty dog with a gorgeous tail win. It used to be only Boxers and ugly dogs with no tail would win. I was always for the hounds, and the huskie types. I once had a dog that was a little of both.

Malamute.. so gorgeous! my favourite dog! :yes: Unfortunately I would never have the time-or surroundings- (I live pretty much in the center) to take care of one. :sad: maybe some day...:hmm:

MrsSpringsteen said:
What a gorgeous dog

Was that on yesterday? I missed it. I did see the Purina Dog Challenge which was taped some time in the summer in St Louis. I can't believe how some of those dogs go through obstacle courses, catch frisbees, and do long jumps into a pool. It always looks like they are going to hurt themselves.

The Westminster Dog Show is Feb 13th and 14th

The Toy, Hound, Sporting and Non-sporting were shown Sat. and then the Working, Terrier, Herding, Breeder-Owner-Handler Best in Show, and Best in Show were last night.

I'm looking forward to Westminster! It took me a while to get over the level of formality of AKC conformation, but Westminster is even more so. It's kind of funny to watch.

Speaking of dogs running courses....have you ever seen them play flyball? It's amazing! And many of them learn in a matter of weeks.

My uncle's young retriever is so high strung we all thought she was hopeless (She runs 5 miles every morning and is still hyper all day) until we got her jumping off the dock after her duck. For as naughty as she is, she's excellent with retreiving the ducks (the only problem is she runs away with the duck if you can't take it fast enough) and she's an amazing swimmer.

An example of her hyperactive disobedience and knack for jumping off the dock:

http://s63. ysi .com/d.aspx?id=3MEGB2FPWMLCA3G7EXQ6VKCNU7

I've actually taken a few dog handling classes with the intentions of showing my own dog, and showed once for a breeder's dog - got best OS and BOB for her. Turns out my own girl had a underbite - named Grace afer U2's ATYCLB - note the heart shaped tag, and that ended her show career. Those shows are fun. That malumute is beautiful.

gracie10.jpg

Last edited:
sonicsmurf said:
I've actually taken a few dog handling classes with the intentions of showing my own dog, and showed once for a breeder's dog - got best OS and BOB for her. Turns out my own girl had a underbite - named Grace afer U2's ATYCLB - note the heart shaped tag, and that ended her show career. Those shows are fun. That malumute is beautiful.

gracie10.jpg

Lovely dog!:love: What kind is it? (Spitz? Shiba Inu?...I'm still memorizing the breeds)

sonicsmurf said:
Shiba Inu

Thought so! I love how those look! (and akitas) So fluffy and compact with that adorable face and the curled tail. I've never seen one in real life though. Are purebreds rare?

They're still rare in the US, though they are growing in popularity. Brought to the US from Japan only after WWII, and became a recognized breed in the AKC not so long ago - even though they're thought to be one of the oldest dog breeds. Can't say Shiba's are for everyone because they are not like normal dogs, you've got to be really patient with them as they're independent, bold spirited, though loyal. Can't be trusted off leash. Little more info then asked... Heh. They're great dogs. And, my sister's Shiba I named, Kite.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom