Concert Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
A lot of my friends don't listen to the same music I do....I mean, we have a few Coldplay fans, a few U2 fans...some mainstream, etc. So come concert time, I always have a really hard time finding people to go with...I didn't end up going to the Idlewild concert here partly because of it (it was also pretty far away from me and I couldn't travel there alone).

I've always been a bit wary of going by myself. In the end, I'm sure I would be find, but it's always nicer to have someone to talk to...someone to talk about the show after with.

How about you guys? Do you frequent concerts all by your lonesome?

I haven't only because the venues here are in sketchy areas and I don't have a car. Otherwise, I'd probably spend all of my money and time on concerts.

This all might change when I'm in Nottingham. :shrug:

meegannie said:
I haven't only because the venues here are in sketchy areas and I don't have a car. Otherwise, I'd probably spend all of my money and time on concerts.

I couldn't have said it any better. Same for me.

I go alone all the time. I prefer it, actually, most of the time, because I don't like my friends' concert behavior. They either drink too much, talk too much, don't abide by the unwritten rules of serious concert-goers, or just aren't as into it as me and I get annoyed.

Although I have to say it's a little weirder out here in New Mexico (and Colorado and Arizona, the places where I travel for music) than it was when I lived in NYC because people here don't tend to do things alone as much as they do in NYC. I always felt right at home in a club in NYC alone because half the people seemed to be solo; here I feel like people are looking at me and wondering what's wrong with me.:uhoh:

I go to concerts alone all the time, too, and I love it! No one else around who doesn't like the music as much as you do, who drinks/gets high, who wants to leave early, who laughs at the way you dance.

If the show is in a dicey area, just make sure to walk from the parking area to the venue with a crowd of people. Don't advertise that you're alone. Look around so you know where you are and can find your way back.

It's fun to go to shows alone!!

I have - and it sucks sometimes.

And that may be because of the locals here - and their lack of openess (Minnesota nice is BS!). So, I stand in the corner, dancing with myself (Thanks Billy Idol).

If there was ever a concert I wanted to go to, and I didn't have anybody to go with...I can always count on Dad. When I got Jesse Malin tickets, I didn't know if I was going to find somebody to go with or not. Dad's not crazy about Jesse, but he said he would go with me if all else failed.

:heart: Dad :heart:

martha said:
I go to concerts alone all the time, too, and I love it! No one else around who doesn't like the music as much as you do, who drinks/gets high, who wants to leave early, who laughs at the way you dance.

If the show is in a dicey area, just make sure to walk from the parking area to the venue with a crowd of people. Don't advertise that you're alone. Look around so you know where you are and can find your way back.

It's fun to go to shows alone!!

Exactly! I used to hate the idea. But eventually there were concerts that I refused to miss, even if it meant I had to go alone. And I ended up having a great time. Now I actually look forward to going by myself sometimes. :)

I have done so a few times. It can actually be a benefit in terms of getting a good seat, cause you can find a single up front many times. I never used to do it, and sometimes would find myself dragging someone to a show they weren't interested in, with varying results, so if there is someone I wanna see and the wife or one of my friends shows no interest, I have no problem going solo.

Back
Top Bottom