Conception Junction, Missouri, Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes sense. People would just vote for the list with the songs or groups they like, without giving the music a chance. It does defeat the purpose of seeing how good a flow can be achieved. Sort of like a radio station, I see it as.

But I also think it is more interesting when there is a lot of voting going on, because I notice there aren't many votes, but lots of views. Maybe the shorter duration is one of the answers to more participation.

Funny, huh. :)

Actually, I'm not a huge U2 fan. Got sucked in a year ago or so to do a DI list offshoot, and liked the group. So I stuck around. Took down NotAxver with some old school prog before getting struck down roughly. Old prog rock sung in Italian not good for votes :laugh:

Maybe not a HUGE fan, but you did see them back on the WAR Tour, Zoo TV at Dodger Stadium, and both Elevation & Vertigo tours. :hmm:

Oh, and hai! :wave:

Bah, you people who saw U2 in the early eighties ...! :jealous:

That makes sense. People would just vote for the list with the songs or groups they like, without giving the music a chance. It does defeat the purpose of seeing how good a flow can be achieved. Sort of like a radio station, I see it as.

But I also think it is more interesting when there is a lot of voting going on, because I notice there aren't many votes, but lots of views. Maybe the shorter duration is one of the answers to more participation.

Yeah, I feel the first edition in particular was marred by people seeing, say, U2, Radiohead, and REM in a tracklist and just blindly voting for that without even considering how well the person had made the tracklist or how good any of the other music is. Chances are they probably missed out on discovering some cool stuff!

Certainly more voters helps, though. I think DI II was probably the best tournament in terms of balancing voters with intelligent voting. DI IV went better than expected; after DI III, I was reluctant to return to the game. We'll have to see how those who've already made DI V lists would feel about shortening the time limit, but my gut instinct is that we stick with it for DI V and change after. I could cut my list down to 120 minutes without too much agony but I'm not sure about the others, and plenty of work's been done already by multiple people.

Mmmm dinner was so good. Roast Pork. Crackling (I fucking ROCK at making crackling!), Roast Potatoes. Roast Kumara. Roast Pumpkin. Gravy. Full tummy. Happy place. :cute:

Bah, you people who saw U2 in the early eighties ...! :jealous:

itsokay.gif

We were both at the show in L.A. for the WAR tour, we were just dating other people (we worked at the same place)

Hi gluey :flirt:

Yeah, I feel the first edition in particular was marred by people seeing, say, U2, Radiohead, and REM in a tracklist and just blindly voting for that without even considering how well the person had made the tracklist or how good any of the other music is. Chances are they probably missed out on discovering some cool stuff!

Certainly more voters helps, though. I think DI II was probably the best tournament in terms of balancing voters with intelligent voting. DI IV went better than expected; after DI III, I was reluctant to return to the game. We'll have to see how those who've already made DI V lists would feel about shortening the time limit, but my gut instinct is that we stick with it for DI V and change after. I could cut my list down to 120 minutes without too much agony but I'm not sure about the others, and plenty of work's been done already by multiple people.

Yeah, I wouldn't change anything now. but it's something to consider down the road. I think more participation, in a voting and listening sense, makes these more fun. Otherwise, after the first rounds, the interest begins to wane.

Yeah, I wouldn't change anything now. but it's something to consider down the road. I think more participation, in a voting and listening sense, makes these more fun. Otherwise, after the first rounds, the interest begins to wane.

Absolutely. The later heats before the quarter finals can get a bit tedious if there's not much voting happening. A flat 2 hours seems far more logical, really. I'm surprised we've stuck with 160 minutes for so many tournaments, given it's a relic of a format we've abandoned.

Absolutely. The later heats before the quarter finals can get a bit tedious if there's not much voting happening. A flat 2 hours seems far more logical, really. I'm surprised we've stuck with 160 minutes for so many tournaments, given it's a relic of a format we've abandoned.

I prefer the shorter lists, like the retro list as far as time limit. I can usually listen to a whole list in one sitting. It's difficult, at least for me timewise, to hear a full 2 hour list at one time and absorb it, but that's just me. If I don't hear the whole list or at least both people's list in the round, I tend not to vote. I can't usually hear a song once and have an opinion on it. Heck, I can't even listen to a U2 album (really any band's release) and have an opinion until after numerous plays :shrug:

I prefer the shorter lists, like the retro list as far as time limit. I can usually listen to a whole list in one sitting. It's difficult, at least for me timewise, to hear a full 2 hour list at one time and absorb it, but that's just me. If I don't hear the whole list or at least both people's list in the round, I tend not to vote. I can't usually hear a song once and have an opinion on it. Heck, I can't even listen to a U2 album (really any band's release) and have an opinion until after numerous plays :shrug:

I'm the same way, with not being able to form an opinion after one listen (usually). There are always exceptions, of course :wink:

Also, Hi Lila! :wave:

Oh, I definitely know what you mean there. When I get a new album, I usually have to listen to it about four times before I feel I can solidly say what I think are the highlights and the best tracks. For playlists though, I find it's a bit different, I guess because I often already know a good number of the songs, so I form my opinion much quicker.

But yeah, I wouldn't be disappointed if the shorter form became the main form and we ran the long form only occasionally.

Haha, when he took the test he was trying to dodge saying yes to that question. :lol:

:hmm: The question never stated if the taker of the quiz was actually the jailbait :shifty: :whistle:

I'm the same way, with not being able to form an opinion after one listen (usually). There are always exceptions, of course :wink:

Also, Hi Lila! :wave:

Hi Ali :wave:

Did I mention that I retook the test when I had more time, and I actually had a slightly lower score?

Last edited:
Haha, when he took the test he was trying to dodge saying yes to that question. :lol:

:lol:

Actually, I was trying to dodge posting the score for a while. Because it was like another lifetime for me. If I took the test now, just going by the last 25 years or so, it would be quite different :angel: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom