Computer won't install Java, why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
My computer, which is only a few months old, must not have java script. There are a lot of sites I go to that say you need it and an install on demand thing pops up, but when I click on it and install it, I get an error message telling me it failed and to try again. Every attempt has failed! What is wrong? Some sites will not open at all because of this. Is there something wrong with the computer, the settings, or what? Please help!

IE...figures :rolleyes: :tsk: IE is a piece of shite, you should just install Mozilla anyway. You still have to install the java app, but it worked fine for me and this computer's older than the operating system I have on it.

Oh, I have XP! Okay I'll try Mozilla, how do I get that, just google?

www.mozilla.org

Theres two different sorts. The one that has web and email together (I have that one) and the one that is in two pieces ie Firefox (PopMartijn has that one).

I like the one I have. I use it for web and emails.

I dont know if maybe the new windows service patch thingie would fix the java problem in IE. Might be a theory. I have never tried. Either that or were both doing something wrong. lol

If I had to guess, you're using Internet Explorer, and so you get the pop-up telling you to install Microsoft Java Virtual Machine. Then you click on "Install" and it fails, yes? That's because Microsoft had created and distributed a bastardized version of Java, without the consent of the inventor of Java, Sun Microsystems. Sun sued and won, thus ending Microsoft's own version of Java, but while Microsoft no longer distributes that Java, it doesn't really make it user friendly to switch to Sun's Java.

In short, go here:

http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp

And click on the big yellow button in the upper right corner that says "Looking for Java Virtual Machine?" (among other things). Download and install it. Then you will have Java for Internet Explorer.

Melon

Thanks for the help! :happy: :bow:

It worked! :up: After I uploaded the mozilla, I was able to install the java and now it works on the ie too!

Back
Top Bottom