computer problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you start AOL, it allows you to pick an option for how you want to connect. If yours is telling you it is broadband, that is the first problem. You need to specify dial-up connection. Then you need to verify that the correct modem is selected.

Grrr now since she's reinstalled windows the new modem cannot be recognized :scream: even with the installation disk. It tells her something about going online to fix it but she can't get online. I'm starting to fear something terrible must be wrong.

Is this an external or internal modem? Make sure of the obvious - that it is plugged into the computer, that it has power, and that it is powered on. To check what is installed on the computer, go to Start/Control Panel/System Icon/Hardware tab/Device Manager button. Verify that there is nothing that has a red exclamation point or yellow question mark next to it. If so, make a note of it and let us know..

Okay I'll tell her, thanks! I'll tell her to re-install the new modem again and make sure everything is okay, and then check the start panel. I really appreciate this!

U2Kitten said:
Grrr now since she's reinstalled windows the new modem cannot be recognized :scream: even with the installation disk. It tells her something about going online to fix it but she can't get online. I'm starting to fear something terrible must be wrong.

She's probably just needed a driver for the new modem all along. Usually XP installs one automatically, but if it doesn't have one, she'll have to do it herself. The new modem probably came with a floppy or CD with the driver. The computer is wanting to go online to download the driver, but obviously it can't since the modem isn't completely installed. This is nothing terrible, happens all the time. Basically, when you physically install new hardware, you also have to make sure the OS recognizes it and it has the right driver before it's usable. The Device Manager will always tell you if this is the case. If the driver is missing or is incorrect, like we said before, you'll see the red X or yellow ! next to that piece of hardware. If you DO see the red X o yellow !, right click on the modem, Uninstall it. Reboot the computer. Wait a few minutes (you should see a notification in the system tray that new hardware was found and is being automatically installed). After about 5 minutes, go back to the Device Manager and see if the modem is installed properly. Like I said before, XP SHOULD do this on it's own, but sometimes there are drivers it doesn't have.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

She's probably just needed a driver for the new modem all along. Usually XP installs one automatically, but if it doesn't have one, she'll have to do it herself. The new modem probably came with a floppy or CD with the driver. The computer is wanting to go online to download the driver, but obviously it can't since the modem isn't completely installed. This is nothing terrible, happens all the time. Basically, when you physically install new hardware, you also have to make sure the OS recognizes it and it has the right driver before it's usable. The Device Manager will always tell you if this is the case. If the driver is missing or is incorrect, like we said before, you'll see the red X or yellow ! next to that piece of hardware. If you DO see the red X o yellow !, right click on the modem, Uninstall it. Reboot the computer. Wait a few minutes (you should see a notification in the system tray that new hardware was found and is being automatically installed). After about 5 minutes, go back to the Device Manager and see if the modem is installed properly. Like I said before, XP SHOULD do this on it's own, but sometimes there are drivers it doesn't have.

Oh that sounds like it! I have to get ahold of her and tell her! Thanks!

I still haven't gotten a hold of her.

I want to apologize for using my friend's name by mistake, it was saved on my computer from when she gave me her info once. I did not mean to do that and I hope she will not be mad at me. :eek: sorry :reject:

Okay, it had a yellow question mark, and she uninstalled and rebooted. Then it said:

It is recommended that you connect to the internet so that the wizard can search online for the appropriate software :banghead:

It has a black ! inside a yellow circle yellow question mark :grumpy:

Last edited:
Yep, there's nothing broken or infected. All she needs is a driver for the modem. You can find them online easily. Just google the model of the modem and the word driver. You can also check www.driverguide.com (username driver, password all). Once you find drivers for the right modem, you just pick which operating system it's for and download the file. Then go back to Device Manager, open up the modem, go to the Driver tab and upgrade/install the driver you downloaded. For example, my modem is Generic Softk56 so in Google I'd look for "Generic SoftK56 modem driver" and download one for Windows XP.

Yep. I guess it's weird that a new internal modem didn't come with a disk. Usually they do even though they are rarely needed.

You are better off going to the modem manufacturer's website and downloading the driver from there.

This is really depressing since she had the same problem with her sound driver and nobody was ever able to get her one that worked. I hate to say it doesn't look good and she's doomed. I know she doesnt' have the money for a new one, and since it was home-made it doesn't have an owner's manual or anything. The guy who built it for her has not been good with her, he hasn't given her as much time as you guys here have, second hand through total strangers. Y'all are great :hug:

It's not doomed, all she needs is a driver. If you tell me the model of the modem I can find one for you. I wish I could just be there to fix it b/c it would seriously only take a few minutes (for the sound card as well).

It's just the generic one in the blue box from Circuit City- I'll have to wait until she gets home this afternoon to ask her the brand name. I wish you could fix it too!

Back
Top Bottom