Computer Help - Lost Files

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
A friend of mine performed a system recovery on his laptop. When he backed stuff up though, he neglected to back up a folder containing important documents. Needless to say, he is pretty depressed. Does anybody know if those files could still be on his laptop somewhere? If so, how would one go about retrieving them? Any help would be appreciated.

OMG that's awful. NEVER do a systems recovery with a systems disc, which is what most small time technicians at Best Buy and such places will tell you. This literally restores the computer to its brand new state, meaning, no memory like a newborn baby. My friend lost all her files rerunning a Windows disc by reformatting the hard drive and not knowing how to save old files. Everything was gone :( but at times certain old things would appear on lists out of nowhere, making her think the old stuff *was* in there, somewhere and could be found. If there's a way I want to know too.

I'm sure you can get software to dig it all up again. I'm a computer tech and I'm pretty sure a guy I work with has done it. We've never done it at work (we own all the computers so if a prof or staff looses stuff, it's their fault for not saving it to the appropriate network drive) so I wouldn't know how.

It is technically possible, sure, but it really depends on how much money he is willing to spend to recover these documents. Data recovery is NOT cheap.

Also, he should stop using the computer if possible until he decides what he wants to do. The more he uses it, the more chance there is that something will overwrite the data and make it unrecoverable.

Back
Top Bottom