Computer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I need to sell my computer before I move, but I don't know what kind of information to put in the ad/flyer for it and I'm not sure how to find out all the info (RAM, etc.). Right now I have a TON of stuff on my computer, but I'm going to reformat the hard drive and clean everything out before I sell it, so I need to figure out the capacity, not the actual space now. If that makes sense.

I also have NO idea how much to sell it for!!!

Open up My Computer. Go to the Control Panel, and go to System. Under the General tab, it will show you the processor and how much memory you have. The Device Manager tab will also give you info on the devices your computer has. To view the capacity of your hard drive, just right-click on the drive and select Properties.

:up: What bonochick said!

As for your computer's value... once you have the above information... maybe post it here... and perhaps someone like melon could help you price it... or call a second hand computer store... and see what they say. They'll probably under price it slightly so you can add on a bit.

I really don't think computers have much of a resale value... you don't want to just ship it? $100 to ship or so sure beats replacement value of around $1000. Just a thought.

meegannie said:
I'd have to buy a new monitor because of the different plugs. :slant:
Crap. I forgot about that. Well... :hmm: see what you can get for your computer.... it might be worth your while to sell it, it might be more worth your while to keep it and buy the adaptors... if you can. As for the monitor, definately sell that. You can find used monitors for cheap and they are a bugger to ship size wize.

lol @ Sweetest_Thing... I am not so wise... however, BC maybe.

:hmm:

I wonder if the cables are the same on the end that plugs into the computer? :shrug: If so, I can buy all new plugs (adapters are bad because they never work). It looks like it'll be around $150-$200 to ship guaranteed mail (I'm scared to just ship something like that regular mail).

:hyper: I'd just ship it then! Look into actual shipping companies... UPS, Greyhound... the mail seems too I dunno, archaic? and perhaps expensive. But hey! $200 sure beats the cost of a new computer.

... oh and is that cost including your monitor? if so... good deal really.

No, that's not including the monitor. And I just estimated the weight and box size.

The only problem is that I wouldn't have a DVD player and my computer is almost out of memory as it is. :sigh:

Well... see what you can get for it moneywise... and then decide. Sounds like you might wnat a new computer. :) Otherwise... I'd just keep it and save the $$ until you can afford a new one.

What is your Ram and GB?

Angel said:
:hyper: I'd just ship it then! Look into actual shipping companies... UPS, Greyhound... the mail seems too I dunno, archaic? and perhaps expensive. But hey! $200 sure beats the cost of a new computer.

Not trying to scare anyone, but this reminded me of something I read on slashdot a couple years ago - check out what happened to this guy's computer when it was shipped via UPS:

http://homepage.mac.com/simonster/PhotoAlbum3.html

If you format your hard drive, make sure to do a low-level format, which is different from a standard OS-based format. The reason is that people can readily buy recovery software and start harvesting data on the hard drive that you thought was long erased. Trust me. A lot of people will buy used hard drives, because, 9 times out of 10, there is something on them.

But I would ship it, if possible. Try FedEx, making sure to pack it well, and, most definitely, make sure it is insured. There is special packaging, like styrofoam and other packing material.

But if you want to try and sell it, give me your hardware list and capacities.

Melon

meegannie said:
Here's what I have:

Dell Dimension DIM4400 Intel
Pentium 4 CPU 1.70GHz
1.69 GHz
256 MB of RAM
37.2 GB Capacity

Well, let's put it this way. On eBay, one of these CPU towers of similar specifications (another Dell 4400 P4 1.7 GHz w/ 40 GB hard drive) is selling for $250.00. Add the monitor and speakers and the best I think you can do is $350.00.

My guess, though.

Melon

That's about what I though. :slant:

I guess I'll just sell my monitor and speakers and ship the CPU to England.

How much can I sell those for? :confused:

You know what I would suggest? Sell the whole thing. Between the money you will get for it and the savings on the shipping costs (it will be very expensive and potentially damaging trying to send that stuff overseas), I don't think it is worth the hassle.

http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/enu/dhs/products/series_dimen_desktops.htm

Here's what they have right now in Dell UK. You'll get faster and better stuff for around USD $600. The Dimension 2350, the cheapest there, has a bunch of free upgrades if you buy before July.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom