Compare and Contrast Oasis' Be Here Now and Coldplay's X & Y - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 AM
I thought 'X&Y' was a disappointment because I thought they wrote some fantastic songs on the first two albums (and some choice B-sides) but the material that came out was extremely uninspired.

Coldplay-lite, almost.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Be Here Now is great. Overwrought and self-indulgent, yes, but still fun. Noel doesn't like it (even though their next two albums were worse), but I think Liam defends it from time to time. Not that he's the smart one, exactly.

X&Y was good too. It was disappointing because of the hype? What I don't get is: if people here hate Coldplay so much, why do they read their hype? I didn't read any hype about X&Y except the "OMG Chris Martin called Coldplay the best band in the world, BUT THAT'S U2, LYNCH HIM!" threads around here. Sometimes I think people here go looking for reasons to hate Coldplay, and in that case, it's no wonder that you find them.

The only hype I read is U2's, and even then, I realize it's mostly bullshit and wait for the album so I can decide for myself. It just comes down to the tunes, and both Be Here Now and X&Y had 'em. Neither was really life-changing stuff, but they're pretty much exactly what I expected from each band, so I wasn't disappointed with either.
What that guy said

Be Here Now self-indulgent? Yes, but that's how Oasis are at their very best and very worst. I you don't like self-indulgent bands, don't listen to Oasis in the first place. Saying you don't like a new Oasis album because it is self-indulgent is like saying you don't like the new U2 album because Bono sings on it.

And regarding Coldplay - when I stopped listening to the hype and the "Chris Martin is an idiot"- and listened to the music instead, I started liking them. I bought their three albums within the last year, and I actually regard X&Y as my favourite by now. Come on, you guys can do this too!

Old 01-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I think Stand By Me is better than anything on X&Y.
I think Don't Go Away is better than anything on X&Y
Old 01-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 12:03 AM
I think they're both 2 great albums. After Be Here Now , the turning point, came 2 middle-class albums. Be Here Now I think isn't as good as the first 2 from Oasis but it's different: many guitars, the weird sounds, the 7-minute songs. So I don't compare this album to an other album from Oasis. And, the expectations were very high after the succes of WTSMG. Once you made the best album you can't make a better one.

X&Y is I think also a great album. The whole album I think is better than AROBTTH but that has better songs on it: Politik, A rush of blood, the scientist and Amsterdam. Of course after such a huge succes the expectations are high and there is a hype. I think X&Y don't live up to that hype that they are the biggest band in the world etc A couple of weeks ago I read that Coldplay will be changing their sound so this is the turning point for Coldplay.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by POP-ROMANCER
Once you made the best album you can't make a better one.
Erm, not to completely hijack this thread, but: The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby?
(or Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde and Blood On The Tracks, to steer away from any U2 content. )
Old 01-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by POP-ROMANCER

X&Y is I think also a great album. The whole album I think is better than AROBTTH but that has better songs on it
I agree totally. IMHO both the bands had second albums that had both killer and filler tracks whilst both their third albums contained hardly any filler tracks but fewer songs that were as good as the amazing killer tracks on their second. That said both X&Y and BHN do have some fantastic songs on them, just not quite reaching the perfection of, for me say, Don't Look Back in Anger or The Scientist.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Erm, not to completely hijack this thread, but: The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby?
(or Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde and Blood On The Tracks, to steer away from any U2 content. )
very true

and in my opinion Kid A is better than OK Computer....and Darkness on the Edge of Town is better than Born to Run
Old 01-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:03 AM
I reckon Be Here Now is more fulfilling due to the exhillarating nature of some of the tracks. The only real blemish on the album is it's length. It appears to achieve all Oasis' goals, even if it was lazily put to together.

Exclude Girl in the Dirty Shirt and Fade In/Out from the album, and you've got a pretty coherent record. There are also some fabulous B sides.

Problem with X & Y for me is that for a band that claimed that they were gonna do something really progressive, the album features a LOT of ye olde Coldplay (hardest part, what if, a message). They are good songs, yet they just sound out of place on an album that features talk, white shadows and square one.

Maybe if World Turned Upside Down, and Things I Don't Understand were on the album, it would work in it's favour.

What Coldplay must do however, is to be careful that they don't become a laughing stock like Oasis pretty much became undeservedly after their 3rd album...

Tags
coldplay, oasis