Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy Chang :shrug:

Joshua being racist definitely completed the episode. :lol: I liked that they had a more "normal" episode this week. Like someone mentioned earlier, I'm sure their budget is pretty drained after the last few!

Another great part of the episode was when Abed would screen all of the girls. If you looked very quickly and closely, you could read what he was "decoding" about each girl and it was hysterical :laugh:

I thought Chang was gonna be stupid but him flipping the table over cracked me the fuck up.

Yeah that was a good moment. :lol:

Another great part of the episode was when Abed would screen all of the girls. If you looked very quickly and closely, you could read what he was "decoding" about each girl and it was hysterical

Apparently on those RoboCop screens he also lists each girl's "cycle" date....meaning Abed knows when they're on their period? :crack:

Question for fans of the show:

What's the one episode I need to watch (besides the sci-fi tribute episode) to get me to get into this show? I love Parks and Rec, but from what I've seen of Community the writing and comedy beats are nowhere near up to the wonderful sync they reach in P&R.

Question for fans of the show:

What's the one episode I need to watch (besides the sci-fi tribute episode) to get me to get into this show? I love Parks and Rec, but from what I've seen of Community the writing and comedy beats are nowhere near up to the wonderful sync they reach in P&R.
Contemporary American Poultry or Modern Warfare. They were easily their two best in the first season, and it was a great season.

I'll second PhilsFan on that :yes: :up:. "Modern Warfare" in particular was just all sorts of awesome.

Yeah that was a good moment. :lol:

It was :D.

I really got a kick out of when Abed just started railing on every girl in the cafeteria, calling them all bitches and insulting everything imaginable about them. It was fun watching Abed and Jeff's personality switches, I liked seeing an entirely different side of both of them (and I noticed one of Abed's outfits in the cafeteria-think it was when the girls came over and insulted him and he just sat there and took it-looked awfully feminine. I'm wondering if that was on purpose, 'cause he's skinny, yeah, but normally his clothes tend to be a little more stereotypically "guy"-ish, from my recollection).

The racist thing was a great twist, too-a slight, underlying "cult" theme of sorts going on. And it's nice to know drugs don't change Pierce's personality whatsoever :p ("My balls *Points to eyes* on your butts" Huh?).

And Annie wanting to do a "boob bump"...:lol:.

Angela

Contemporary American Poultry or Modern Warfare. They were easily their two best in the first season, and it was a great season.

Those are both great, worthy choices, but are a little different stylistically from the rest of the series. For someone trying to get into the series I'd narrow it down to one of those two "special" episodes, and pair it with one of the best normal episodes like Romantic Expressionism (from earlier in the season); which fits into the general vibe, has a great snapshot of the ensemble cast, and builds to one of my all-time favorite study table scenes. Beginner Pottery's also a good choice.

Abed does like the deep-neck V shirts, and I think it was Spanish 101 Jeff ended up wearing some ridiculous blue/black striped shirt as part of the trade to get Britta's companion card. That always suggested a little more American Apparel-fan to me.

One of these guys gets paid a lot less than the others:

5168920104_3676efdf41.jpg

Oh. My. God.

That was insane. And sweet. (And hot.) And hilarious.

I loved the scene where everyone was accusing each other. "Bend and spread? Are the Thought Police gonna make love to us?" :lol:.

And the discussion surrounding the puppies (awwwwwwww! The ending-SO cute :cute:!):

"Ohhhhh...I wanna lick it"

"I wanna see if those wiener dogs are born that way, or if they start off normal, and then become wiener."

Strange ending, too. I wasn't expecting that to be the answer. Excellent episode, I really enjoyed that one.

One question, though-what's this "Bottle" show they keep referencing?

Angela

One question, though-what's this "Bottle" show they keep referencing?

Angela

It's a TV production term stemming from how money is budgeted over the course of a season. The consequence of spending a bunch of moola on a flashy episode (say, a recognizable guest star for a season premiere, or building new sets/lighting for themed episodes) is that other episodes (typically starting in the middle of a season) will be dirt-cheap in order to compensate. A common trope is to find some reason for the basic cast to spend an entire episode on one set and clearly, if there's no way to leave, then most of the drama in that episode has to be character-driven.

Hence: this. And why Abed wanted to throw up when he started picking up on it. Or near the end of Battlestar Galactica Season 4, for example, in order to spend the bare minimum to save up for the big CGI scenes in the series finale, the show basically became a series of hallway conversations.

It's a TV production term stemming from how money is budgeted over the course of a season. The consequence of spending a bunch of moola on a flashy episode (say, a recognizable guest star for a season premiere, or building new sets/lighting for themed episodes) is that other episodes (typically starting in the middle of a season) will be dirt-cheap in order to compensate. A common trope is to find some reason for the basic cast to spend an entire episode on one set and clearly, if there's no way to leave, then most of the drama in that episode has to be character-driven.

Hence: this. And why Abed wanted to throw up when he started picking up on it. Or near the end of Battlestar Galactica Season 4, for example, in order to spend the bare minimum to save up for the big CGI scenes in the series finale, the show basically became a series of hallway conversations.
It's the most self aware show on television, and it's proudly open about it.

I was such a sucker for the Annie/Jeff/Britta stuff in this episode it's embarrassing. Even when Annie confessed her love, it was pretty clearly part of the act yet also touched on some of what she probably went through last summer. And I like that they've already played through teh sex/kiss last year so that part's not really an issue, either.

Solid episode. Not capital letter Great like last week's, but it carried the torch.

I was really impressed with how they tied the blanket fort idea in with the A plot.

LOVED Britta's weird drugged out side-tent.

Haha, that's perfect!

I was really impressed with how they tied the blanket fort idea in with the A plot.

:yes: And I love the way they dismantled it at the end, the domino effect. The little details were great, too-I liked the "No U-Turns" sign.

LOVED Britta's weird drugged out side-tent.

Yeah, what the hell was that all about :p?

Ooh. Yeah. Count me in on the Annie/Jeff love. They really do have an excellent chemistry, it showed quite nicely in this episode (and Britta's suspicious glance at them at the end, too-hmmm). And the "Annie's got a gun" line :lol:. Cute. What a strange, bizarre storyline, was fun trying to keep up with it all. Absurd humor is fun.

Interesting theme this season as well with the faculty wanting to hang with/be more like the students. First Chang, now Pelton, who's next?

Angela

God damn. That episode was nuts. So good.

I've never seen a comedy show work the way this show does, it's really one of a kind. And the fact that they consistently pull off these ambitious plots, yet can still bring it back to the base of the show: the relationship between these seven lovable goofy characters.

That trippy moment with Britta in the blanket fort was just spectacular.

The show is operating on a completely different level than any other sitcom I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of sitcoms.

Excellent post, GAF, I totally agree :up:. Chemistry is everything in making a TV show work (hell, it's important in making anything in life work, period), and this show seems to have hit on that very concept quite nicely. I've said it before, the shows that work the best, the shows I tend to like the most, are the kind where it doesn't sound at all like it's scripted, where it seems like somebody just set up a camera in front of a group of people and observed their daily lives going along completely naturally. There's so many moments on here you just know were likely improvised, and I like that.

I also notice I seem to like shows where the cast is made up of people who hang out together because they're the only ones that can really understand/put up with each other :hmm:.

Angela

Link to an image of the Night School Faculty

S. Lawrence Woolley
Courses:
Introduction to Basics
Active Passivity

totally bummed we can't see the name of the Learning! teacher

edit: Britta in her tent. What do you think the casting call was for that? PS these links were pillaged from the SomethingAwful forums. I merely aggregate others' hard work :(

Super dark secret Christmas episode spoiler vid!

YouTube - *SPOILERS* Behind the Scenes - Animated New Community (Part 1)

YouTube - *SPOILERS* Behind the Scenes - Animated New Community (Part 2)

If, god forbid, this show gets canceled it's going to be darkly hilarious in light of how much ridiculous money and effort Community is putting into staging this Christmas ep. That NBC brought up the idea even given the expense suggests to me the show is on relatively solid footing, ratings-wise.

this show has really hit its strides, i like the way its going becoming so muc more surreal and not your typical sitcomish type funny. However I don't think its going to last long because unfortuantely the american public doesn't like some different for too long...

Yup.
I'm amazed that it isn't watched more. Our local paper and Entertainment Weekly put the occasional blurb in advocating for the show.
I fear it is headed down the early-death-Comedy path of Arrested Development, Better Off Ted, Andy Richter Controls The Universe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom