Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moonlit_Angel said:
Hehe. He does indeed dress quite sharp on that show...

True story. My comment earlier doesn't say all too much considering I've wanted what he's worn pretty much every episode*. Dude can dress.

*Well, except the Rainbow Brite costume.

True story. My comment earlier doesn't say all too much considering I've wanted what he's worn pretty much every episode*. Dude can dress.

*Well, except the Rainbow Brite costume.

:lol: What, you don't think that's the height of fashion :p?

Anywho, fully agreed. That's fine-you can take his wardrobe and I'll just take him and...

...uh, sorry, what were we talking about again :wink:?

Angela

pierce, pierce, pierce, pierce you're a b...

*Trying to think of a way to answer that question that won't get her in trouble on here*

Let's face it, those shorts WERE God-awful, after all :p.

(That episode is freakin' hilarious from start to finish, by the way)

Angela

i'm a dude, but i'll admit, when i saw his bod, i was a bit :eek:

i wish i had a bod like that!

what season are you up to? 2? i might have to catch up online.

imps, i saw an ep the other day when Britta said to Annie, "give me my bra back", or something like that.

was that one of your best TV moments?

amazing moment.

The paintball episode oh my god :lmao:

It's hard for me to put that episode in context. It wasn't really laugh-out-loud funny for me, but the structure and ambition of it is certainly impressive. Modern Warfare's existence is more like the icing on the Community cake.

This one doesn't usually hit the "best of" recommendations, but I think the Jack Black episode is one of the best, both in terms of humor and how the episode's structure plays with the fact that it's "the Jack Black episode".

I found Modern Warfare laugh-out-loud, particularly in its references, just in the first minute that Jeff gets out of his car we have ridiculous dialog/stylistic references to 28 Days Later, The Terminator & The Matrix. The characters' banter and back-stabbing is hilarious, but the best moment comes with styling Señor Chang's entrance after a Hong Kong gangster film. My favorite moment though was Shirley's "I'm going home Britta" :Lol:.

The one thing that sorta bugged me was that prior to this episode the references were all in dialog or plot, though cool, doing it through the filmmaking style makes it stand out like a sore thumb and make it come off as more in line with Spaced than Community.

Just watched the finale. It was great, but I felt the whole Jeff-Britta-Slater-Annie thing was a little contrived. No way Britta "loves" Jeff. Feelings for him, sure. Kissing Annie as well seemed a bit cliched. Overall it was great though and I think I'll catch up online.

"Mine and Abed's friendship is like this big cookie! Pierce! I'll move in with you!"
"That's great! Why don't you come round and I'll have one of my butlers fit you for a uniform?"

The big cookie thing is so true, living with your best friend can fuck things up, it takes a strong friendship to survive nagging roommate problems.

Just watched the finale. It was great, but I felt the whole Jeff-Britta-Slater-Annie thing was a little contrived. No way Britta "loves" Jeff. Feelings for him, sure. Kissing Annie as well seemed a bit cliched. Overall it was great though and I think I'll catch up online.

"Mine and Abed's friendship is like this big cookie! Pierce! I'll move in with you!"
"That's great! Why don't you come round and I'll have one of my butlers fit you for a uniform?"
Don't fret, they basically fix all the problems with the first season finale in the second season premiere.

That's very true. It put a bow on all that pretty nicely and set things up going forward.

I finished the first disc's worth of commentaries, which really shed some light on their problems in the beginning. Hearing all this stuff straight from Dan Harmon pretty much explains why the problems folks like Iron Yuppie had with the early eps existed and how the entire staff managed to come into their own as they figured out what the show was. Really good stuff. Required viewing for all the regulars in this thread.

I just got the DVD set this week, after I go through them all again just for laughs I will listen to the commentaries.

I just got into this recently, a friend recommended it and I blitzed my way through season one in a couple of weeks :up: What a fantastic show, kind of unexpected and brilliant. The last episode was a bit naff, but from what I've seen of season two it's back on track :wink:

I would watch Troy and Abed in the morning every morning :love:

I still have yet to check out the commentaries. I'll be doing that with any coming free time I have.

I liked the whole "Team" thing in the finale, everyone was picking a side :D. And John Oliver being all drunk and obnoxious was great, too. I love that he pops up on the show every now and again.

And the "Modern Warfare" episode is awesome and probably will be a classic for the series.

i'm a dude, but i'll admit, when i saw his bod, i was a bit :eek:

i wish i had a bod like that!

:lol: He does seem to inspire that reaction. I bet you've got nothing to worry about, though :sexywink:.

(Now if only that damn pool table hadn't been in the way...)

what season are you up to? 2? i might have to catch up online.

Do it :yes:. I hope you like this season as much as you did the first one. And I'm glad you're liking the show, too, Total U2 nut.

So much better than Hoda and Kathie Lee.

Oh, lord, yes.

Apparently when Joel was on there once they asked him why he always made fun of their show on "The Soup", and he responded with, "Have you seen your show?" :D. Troy and Abed are fantastic as well, I love them, too. Abed's such a sweetie, and Troy is about the most, um...normal and mature and "together", I guess I'd say, of everyone, LOL.

Angela

holycrapholycrapholycrap new previews are up from episode 212. Be warned that it looks like the first YouTube's start might spoil a good joke.

Chang:
YouTube - Get What I'm Promised - Community 2.12 sneak peek

Rich:
YouTube - Talking about Rich - Community 2.12 sneak peek

A) I was annoyed with the S1 finale, then impressed when Dan Harmon found the exact right path to spin it for the S2 premiere

B) anyone checking upthread can see that some of Chang's use this last half-season drove me fucking bonkers, but having Jeff call out of his pun-related obnoxiousness means I've just been successfully trolled by Harmon again.

It's entirely possible I'm the only one who finds this sort of detail interesting, but the second vid doesn't have ambient cafeteria noise dubbed in. This happened with the Halloween vids, too, I wonder if it was because they weren't sure they could get the rights to the ABBA catalog before broadcast. In this case, are the released previews from a pre-final-cut source?

Anywho, for those who just started watching: youtube.com/communitytvlj is a great source for upcoming previews, aired segment clips, and behind-the-scenes EPK stuff.

Quotes from the Community panel at the TCA shindig that stuck out for me:
So do you have any others lined up at this point?

DAN HARMON: We are doing some genre experiments that I don't want to spoil, coming up down the road. One thing that I'm excited of that I think qualifies in that drawer is the episode where the group plays Dungeons & Dragons for an episode, and it's not-- there's no elements of, like, you see them in the woods, running around and swinging swords. It's-- they are sitting at a table, playing Dungeons & Dragons.
DONALD GLOVER: It's really funny.
DAN HARMON: But it's stylized to make that interesting, and therefore, it's pretty cool, and people are going to like it a lot, I think. There's-- I mean, there's-- like, I consider it special when the camera is not on Greendale's campus for an entire episode. There's an episode where Pierce is in the hospital, coming up, and the entire episode is in the hospital. And it's shot in a different way. It makes it a completely different experience from a normal episode of the show. And that stuff is coming up. I can say that.
GILLIAN JACOBS: Can I interject something?
DAN HARMON: Yeah.
GILLIAN JACOBS: I'd just like to say in terms of, like, fan response and, you know, interest in non-conceptual episodes, that I think for all of us the bottle episode was very well received, I would say, from the-- from the fan point of view. And that was something that took entirely place in the study room. And I thought that was just a really exciting episode for us as a cast to shoot. I think that, like, Yvette said, it gave everybody sort of a showcase to have both moments of drama and high comedy and absurdity. And, you know, Dan and the writers managed to pull that off without ever leaving the study room. So I think--
DAN HARMON: And don't you qualify that as a conceptual episode?
ALISON BRIE: It's true, yeah.
KEN JEONG: That in and of itself is a concept.
DAN HARMON: It's hard to know, then, to answer the question, oh, we've got to do two normals, and then we hit them--
KEN JEONG: Yeah.
DAN HARMON: -- with the space balls. You-- it's because there's-- the lines are very blurred, as they should be. It should be a different show. When they all go out, drinking with Troy on his birthday, that's a-- to me, that's a-- that's a weird episode.
JOEL McHALE: That's St. Elmo's Fire. What the--
ALISON BRIE: Really?
DAN HARMON: It sort of-- in my-- spiritually, it's my homage to Taxi, like growing up on a steady diet of Taxi. There's a darkness to that episode that--
DONALD GLOVER: Yeah.
JOEL McHALE: If you look at-- people call them "parodies," and I don't see them as parodies because that becomes a sketch, is that a lot of character stuff happens in all of those types of episodes such as Britta and Jeff sleeping together in “Modern Warfare,” in the paintball, or in chicken fingers with the thing where it's-- clearly with the freeze of Abed saying "I always wanted to be in a mafia movie," is that a lot of character stuff happens through all of those things. So it doesn't just become a parody of the genre we are doing.
DAN HARMON: Yeah.

GILLIAN JACOBS: I was just going to say also, midway through season two, we all have such a greater degree of comfort with our characters and understanding of our dynamic as a group that it doesn't feel so difficult to swing between the two, whereas, you know, when-- I've said, like, when we did the pilot, there was a moment where everyone was just supposed to start fighting and yelling at each other, and, you know, Jeff walks out, and I follow him. We didn't really know what to yell at each other. We didn't know what we would be--
DONALD GLOVER: Fighting about.
GILLIAN JACOBS: -- fighting about. It's a lot of, like, ADR of, like, "I"-- But I think, like, at this point, we could do an entire episode of improv'ed, loud argument at each other. And so when you are that much more comfortable with your dynamic as a group and your character as an individual, it's not so hard to have a really human moment in the midst of a conceptual episode.

I have no clue about the details of such things with the crowd noise, so who knows? Could be right.

"Brown Jamie Lee Curtis" :giggle:.

*Sing-songy tone* And ooooooh, Jeff seems jealous!

Ah, I cannot wait for Thursday.

ETA: Whoa, when was this panel thingamabob? I wanna see/read about it! Great quotes from the cast, I love their discussion about character-driven moments and getting comfortable with each other.

The bottle episode really is awesome. Yes. Nice to see the fans seem to be in agreement on that one.

Angela

screw it I'm going wild:

from 212
24wdg94.jpg

and 213 press release:
"COMMUNITY"

"EARLY 21ST CENTURY ROMANTICISM"

02/03/2011 (08:00PM - 08:30PM) (Thursday) : IT’S VALENTINE’S DAY AND LOVE IS IN THE AIR AT GREENDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE – ANDY DICK GUEST STARS, JOHN OLIVER (“The Daily Show”) RETURNS AS PROFESSOR DUNCAN – Troy (Donald Glover) and Abed (Danny Pudi) compete for the attentions of the college librarian, while Britta (Gillian Jacobs) strives to be progressive and befriends a fellow female student whom she believes is gay. Meanwhile, Jeff (Joel McHale) finds himself reluctantly hosting an impromptu party at his apartment when Professor Duncan (John Oliver) invites himself over to watch a soccer match. Alison Brie, Yvette Nicole Brown, Ken Jeong and Chevy Chase also star.

Copied From: Community - Episode 2.14 - Early 21st Century Romanticism - Press Release | Spoiler TV
Thanks for linking back. It really helps our site. Please leave the above link in.

well Angela, soon you'll be able to envision yourself in Jeff's apartment. :wink:

edit- oh dear I'm doing a bad job of distributing credit. A lot of stuff harvested from links from the Community 101 LJ community, the link to the TCA transcript is here.

Um...okay, that first thing shared there-what the hell...? :lol:

Awwwww, that episode sounds like it'll be fun :D! Looking forward to that!

well Angela, soon you'll be able to envision yourself in Jeff's apartment. :wink:

:hmm: :drool:

And with both him and John Oliver there, too, no less? The story writers of "Community" are so good to me :D.

Thank you for sharing more of this stuff, I shall read and enjoy and watch as need be. Hooray!

Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom