Commonwealth Games

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me, but only because I think it's inferior to 'Waltzing Matilda'...

no offence to people who like 'Advance Australia Fair', of course. no disrespect meant to Aussies either...

I don't like Land of Hope and Glory as England's National Anthem. I'd rather it was Jerusalem.

The Scots are doing really, really well in the swimming pool :applaud: And talking of swimming, how about the Australian girl who completely smashed the world record? It was an amazing performance!

yertle-the-turtle said:
Me, but only because I think it's inferior to 'Waltzing Matilda'...

no offence to people who like 'Advance Australia Fair', of course. no disrespect meant to Aussies either...

do you know what waltzing matilda is about? :lol: given it's mistaken for our anthem is probably not a bad thing, considering our nation's roots...:hmm:

The only thing I like about 9's coverage has been the snippets of U2 that they play.

Talk about stuffing up. The hockey coverage has been disgusting. How many games have we seen full coverage of (in my case) none. Australia has the reigning Olympic mens team and the women have won three Olympic gold medals,both teams have been thrashing everyone (nice game today for the Kookaburras against New Zealand Axver :wink: ) and what do we get to see? A few minutes here, some shortened coverage there? :mad:

Better show the finals, that's all I can say.

Did the Australian trials replace the Commonwealth Games or something? I don't know when I last saw someone from another country do anything. :down:

timothius said:
The Netball should be good. :drool:

You and I both know that Channel 9 will show three seconds of Australians scoring goals and we'll have to get the final score off Stuff.co.nz.

Rumour has it that there will be some nod to Crowded House in the closing ceremony too on Sunday night. It will be 1 year to the day, if not the hour of Paul Hester's death too. :sad:

But I doubt it will involve any of the band members as they turned down the Olympics Closing in 2000. :up: :up:

Channel 9 have done the worst job ever. I used to think 7 fucked up sport with whoring Bruce Spackervaney and Johanna Griggs at every given opportunity, but noooo. 9 are setting new benchmarks. :up:

I ask, how many disabled events have we seen? I can count um...zero, but I can tell you all about some fat guy who immigrated to Canada in weight lifting! How much hockey do we get? hmm, I cant remember anything but highlights, but I do know that there was that ugly Australian chick doing comedic synchronised swimming, as we suffered through that for the full routine! etc, etc.

:|

timothius said:
Rumour has it that there will be some nod to Crowded House in the closing ceremony too on Sunday night. It will be 1 year to the day, if not the hour of Paul Hester's death too. :sad:

But I doubt it will involve any of the band members as they turned down the Olympics Closing in 2000. :up: :up:

:sad:

I honestly hope they don't do anything. My fear is that it wouldn't be tasteful.

Angela Harlem said:
I ask, how many disabled events have we seen?

I ask, how many events, able-bodied or otherwised, have been shown in full without any ad breaks or cuts to other events? I just about collapsed with shock when Channel 9 successfully showed the entire 400m men's swimming medley. I was thinking "at any moment, they're going to say 'and now it is time to cross to So-and-so on the parallel bars'!"

PS The only thing that could possibly be funny about a synchronised swimming routine is that synchronised swimming's inclusion in the Games is a joke in the first place.

Angela Harlem said:
Channel 9 have done the worst job ever. I used to think 7 fucked up sport with whoring Bruce Spackervaney and Johanna Griggs at every given opportunity, but noooo. 9 are setting new benchmarks. :up:

I ask, how many disabled events have we seen? I can count um...zero, but I can tell you all about some fat guy who immigrated to Canada in weight lifting! How much hockey do we get? hmm, I cant remember anything but highlights, but I do know that there was that ugly Australian chick doing comedic synchronised swimming, as we suffered through that for the full routine! etc, etc.

:|

I've actually seen two, a swimming event and a running event but that's it.

I think a small $5.00 wager on the outcome of the womens hockey is in order, oh Timothious :lol: Or a beer in Sydney in November.

If NZ beats India, ofcourse.

I guess you ain't going for NZ in the men's :lol:

Trans-Tasman clash in the men's basketball gold medal match tonight. Should be good.

GO KIWI!

Tania said:
Thank god Jana won. :D

Yeah...she' copped some slack lately,hey!! Good for her, i know she came across as a bit of a whinger, but no-body deserves that sort of backlash, apparently The Cage on Triple M said they hope she does'nt win...that's insane...wishing a fellow Aussie to suck it at the Comm.games. She trains very hard and she must have done something right to take out the Gold!

:applaud: JANA!!!!

Channel 9 should be shot for their coverage. The basketball has started, oh, let's cut to the long jump, wait, let's show two laps of the men's 1500m heats, oh, but back to the long jump now, let's cut to ads, what basketball?

I gave up on watching any of the basketball about an hour ago. It should be over now. I hope New Zealand won, though we were five points behind last I saw.

Nope, sorry you guys lost. I got pissed off and didn't bother watching. I believe it was pretty close and the Aussies got up by 6 points or sumfink.

Lets move on to the netball and see what a stuff up Channel 9 can do of that. (Not that I like the netball but hey, sport is sport is sport :drool: )

Axver said:
Channel 9 should be shot for their coverage. The basketball has started, oh, let's cut to the long jump, wait, let's show two laps of the men's 1500m heats, oh, but back to the long jump now, let's cut to ads, what basketball?

I gave up on watching any of the basketball about an hour ago. It should be over now. I hope New Zealand won, though we were five points behind last I saw.

Channel 9 sucks the big one!!!! It was such a close game axver(81-76)but it could have been anyones game at even 3 minutes to the end,but Jason smith pocketed a couple of 3 pointers!!!
,but as usual 9 kept f****up the broadcasting:mad: I missed 5 f*****minutes of the 4th quarter, Channel 7 shits all over these guys when it comes to sports coverage of main events!!!
:down: it's almost like to the day when Packer went tits up,the network did too!!!!

Last edited:
Tania said:
Nope, sorry you guys lost. I got pissed off and didn't bother watching. I believe it was pretty close and the Aussies got up by 6 points or sumfink.

Lets move on to the netball and see what a stuff up Channel 9 can do of that. (Not that I like the netball but hey, sport is sport is sport :drool: )

Netball is cool, i play GD or GK!!! Great fun!!!!

I reckon it going to be another trans-tasman clash again on March 26th!!!!:hyper:

Damn shame about the basketball, but at least we picked up the silver. The netball's going to be good, especially considering how Jamaica (who pulled off a 54-all draw against Australia) were conclusively beaten by New Zealand, 61-41. Go the Silver Ferns!

This is disappointing, though:

But the Ferns' play was not appreciated by the Australian-dominated crowd at the multi-purpose venue in Melbourne.

The crowd cheered any error from the Ferns and booed the umpires for calls against the Jamaicans.

They almost lifted the roof on the stadium when Davu chatted back to the umpire and was given a warning.

Source: http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3616667a1823,00.html

:down: :tsk:

Oh, and I'm delighted to see a Kiwi took gold in the 1500m walk. About time we got another gold! This has been a dreadful Commonwealth Games for New Zealand, but maybe today we can make our medal tally look a bit more respectable. Go Sarah Ulmer in the cycling! :up:

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe New Zealand didn't get a single medal out of the women's road race. I thought we were a sure thing, especially considering how Sarah Ulmer basically dominates world cycling.

Australia's medal haul is absurd. There should be a limit on how many athletes you can enter. Whatever happened to the Australia that got only half the golds New Zealand did at the 1984 Olympics?

Axver said:
Damn shame about the basketball, but at least we picked up the silver. The netball's going to be good, especially considering how Jamaica (who pulled off a 54-all draw against Australia) were conclusively beaten by New Zealand, 61-41. Go the Silver Ferns!

This is disappointing, though:

:down: :tsk:

Oh, and I'm delighted to see a Kiwi took gold in the 1500m walk. About time we got another gold! This has been a dreadful Commonwealth Games for New Zealand, but maybe today we can make our medal tally look a bit more respectable. Go Sarah Ulmer in the cycling! :up:

Axver i hate to admit this,but seriously,Netball attracts bitches, i know.... i played with them,against them!!! The fans can be bitchy too!!!

The The Silver ferns took out GOLD for Netball beat us 60-55. The last GOLD MEDAL of the games to be won too!!!

Back
Top Bottom