Comments, thoughts on this years Academy Awards telecast - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2002, 01:24 AM   #1
Banned

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Comments, thoughts on this years Academy Awards telecast

I have to say i enjoyed this years show more than some of the others of late. I've been watching since '88, though my mom says i enjoyed watching the oscars even when i was little.

I loved the emotion of the winners(and even the losers), and the comments on Sept 11, the tribute to New York,etc.
Most of the people who won this year seemed genuinely happy and surprised that they won.
There was a lot of Star Quality too, not just the crappy "hot" cheap trash that grace the stages of other awards shows. This show always has at least some class.
I loved seeing Sidney Poitier and Robert Redford, and the montage to those we lost last year, which always makes me cry.

I'm gonna go try and get a look at the venue tomorrow morning, before the take everything down.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 03-24-2002).]

Old 03-25-2002, 01:44 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 05:17 PM
VERY good show this year. Lots of memorable moments. I thought Sidney Poitier's speech was wonderful, very eloquent, emotional, and just so classy. I loved how he honored all those directors and filmmakers whose bravery and dedication allowed him to break out.

Cirque du Soleil was great too, and Halle Berry just had a total meltdown! But it was great that she won.

Old 03-25-2002, 10:24 PM   #3
The Fly

Halle Barry really needs to get a grip. The breakdown on stage routine is getting a little old. Holy shit take some valium or something.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:20 PM   #4
The Fly

It was soooooooo boring that we had it on mute until Halle Barry. That is truly one of the most boring shows the Oscars ever put on. Sharon Stone looked so fabulous. Gwyneth looked like she was going to a Holloween party, and you can sure tell who doesn't have breast implants. Who on earth told Jennifer Connolly that she looked good in that dress? It made her look so flat chested, and like her boobs started at her waist, not to mention was so unflattering. J Lo's hair was silly looking, as was Cameron Diaz.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:48 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I agree the show was a little boring, but at the same time I was elated to see Denzel and Halle win. All you have to do is look at the audience attending this particular award show every year, the producers, directors and actors in that crowd, and you'll know why it's significant when people of color win.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:23 AM   #6
Acrobat

It was awesome having Sidney Poitier up there, he's been one of my heroes since I was a kid.

------------------

Same Old Story
Old 03-26-2002, 06:56 AM   #7
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 03:17 AM
Halle's speech made me vomit. It is the exact reason I dont like award shows.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."
Old 03-26-2002, 07:11 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 06:17 PM
alright, re-editing to start again!

I tink we being big muther bitches for attackin the celebs and tearing their clothes off....for a start, there was nothing wrong with how Jennifer Connelly looked.........I tink u'd re-acted more if she wore a 'L'ille Pink' outfit, ya know, the famous 'just coverin my nippies only'..............no no now that would be worse!!!!!!!

the only prob I had with the Oscars was Jennifers hair....yes she looks too young for a fecking 60 year-old dolled up big-hair look - thats twice shes done that look, all wrong, all wrong.....and Halles speech..................if she was genuingly shocked, I understand, however I guess I didnt see the eyes very red with the tears, so they may have been 'temporary' emotional tears............too me long speeches spell trouble, like Gwennies.................they go on toooo long and make the person look liek they are 'acting' there and then...being so dramatic......

apart from that, Oscars are still good, they are important to the film society, so be it.........................

they dont rock my world, only if my fav pple or films get somewhere in it...........

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 03-26-2002).]
Old 03-26-2002, 10:56 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

The tribute to Sidney Poitier was out standing, and he was well deserved of it. My only complaint was that it was too long.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:58 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

When I say it was too long, I meanth the entire show.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:24 PM   #11
War Child

Yay! I love the Oscars. Cirque De Soliel was interesting, but WTF did it have to do with anything- it just added to a really long show. Sandy bullock and reese witherspoon were the beauties of the evening- along with halle of course. Gweneth looked like a trailor-trash-crack-whore-on a bender. Cameron Diaz looked like she just rolled out of bed. Hoooooooray for Opie! Well deserved oscar.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:46 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Peaseblossom:
Cirque De Soliel was interesting, but WTF did it have to do with anything- it just added to a really long show.
It was showing us what tricks stunt people use when filming movies. If you were watching closely then on the screen behind the stage they showed a clip from a movie that displayed the same trick that was happening on stage.

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"
Old 03-27-2002, 12:33 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 12:17 PM
LOL same here.

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man:
Halle's speech made me vomit. It is the exact reason I dont like award shows.

Old 03-27-2002, 12:50 AM   #14
Acrobat

I think Gweneth Paltrow is a lovely woman, but that hideous frock she was wearing made her look like a bloody sausage, without her bra n'all.

Sorry I just had to get that out. It's been bugging me since Sunday.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:07 AM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 03:17 AM
We aussies got shafted at the oscars. I was hoping Russel Crowe would have won instead of Denzel.

I believe the Academy had already planned to honor the African Americans before the show that evening.

Good on them.