Comments, thoughts on this years Academy Awards telecast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmacphisto

Refugee
I have to say i enjoyed this years show more than some of the others of late. I've been watching since '88, though my mom says i enjoyed watching the oscars even when i was little.
wink.gif

I loved the emotion of the winners(and even the losers), and the comments on Sept 11, the tribute to New York,etc.
Most of the people who won this year seemed genuinely happy and surprised that they won.
smile.gif

There was a lot of Star Quality too, not just the crappy "hot" cheap trash that grace the stages of other awards shows. This show always has at least some class.
I loved seeing Sidney Poitier and Robert Redford, and the montage to those we lost last year, which always makes me cry.

I'm gonna go try and get a look at the venue tomorrow morning, before the take everything down.
cool.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 03-24-2002).]

VERY good show this year. Lots of memorable moments. I thought Sidney Poitier's speech was wonderful, very eloquent, emotional, and just so classy. I loved how he honored all those directors and filmmakers whose bravery and dedication allowed him to break out.

Cirque du Soleil was great too, and Halle Berry just had a total meltdown! But it was great that she won.

Halle Barry really needs to get a grip. The breakdown on stage routine is getting a little old. Holy shit take some valium or something.

It was soooooooo boring that we had it on mute until Halle Barry. That is truly one of the most boring shows the Oscars ever put on. Sharon Stone looked so fabulous. Gwyneth looked like she was going to a Holloween party, and you can sure tell who doesn't have breast implants. Who on earth told Jennifer Connolly that she looked good in that dress? It made her look so flat chested, and like her boobs started at her waist, not to mention was so unflattering. J Lo's hair was silly looking, as was Cameron Diaz.

I agree the show was a little boring, but at the same time I was elated to see Denzel and Halle win. All you have to do is look at the audience attending this particular award show every year, the producers, directors and actors in that crowd, and you'll know why it's significant when people of color win.

Halle's speech made me vomit. It is the exact reason I dont like award shows.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

alright, re-editing to start again!

rolleyes.gif

I tink we being big muther bitches for attackin the celebs and tearing their clothes off....for a start, there was nothing wrong with how Jennifer Connelly looked.........I tink u'd re-acted more if she wore a 'L'ille Pink' outfit, ya know, the famous 'just coverin my nippies only'..............no no now that would be worse!!!!!!!

the only prob I had with the Oscars was Jennifers hair....yes she looks too young for a fecking 60 year-old dolled up big-hair look - thats twice shes done that look, all wrong, all wrong.....and Halles speech..................if she was genuingly shocked, I understand, however I guess I didnt see the eyes very red with the tears, so they may have been 'temporary' emotional tears............too me long speeches spell trouble, like Gwennies.................they go on toooo long and make the person look liek they are 'acting' there and then...being so dramatic......

apart from that, Oscars are still good, they are important to the film society, so be it.........................

they dont rock my world, only if my fav pple or films get somewhere in it...........

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 03-26-2002).]

Yay! I love the Oscars. Cirque De Soliel was interesting, but WTF did it have to do with anything- it just added to a really long show. Sandy bullock and reese witherspoon were the beauties of the evening- along with halle of course. Gweneth looked like a trailor-trash-crack-whore-on a bender. Cameron Diaz looked like she just rolled out of bed. Hoooooooray for Opie! Well deserved oscar.

Originally posted by Peaseblossom:
Cirque De Soliel was interesting, but WTF did it have to do with anything- it just added to a really long show.
It was showing us what tricks stunt people use when filming movies. If you were watching closely then on the screen behind the stage they showed a clip from a movie that displayed the same trick that was happening on stage.

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

I think Gweneth Paltrow is a lovely woman, but that hideous frock she was wearing made her look like a bloody sausage, without her bra n'all.

Sorry I just had to get that out. It's been bugging me since Sunday.
wink.gif

We aussies got shafted at the oscars. I was hoping Russel Crowe would have won instead of Denzel.

I believe the Academy had already planned to honor the African Americans before the show that evening.

Good on them.

J-Lo's hairdo looked bloody hideous, as did Gwyneth Paltrow. I may be a sap but I was moved by Halle Berry's ramblings. Tom Cruise on the other hand made me cringe; I just cannot for the life of me buy this sort of speech from him (but I nearly got teary-eyed at the New York tribute). Loved Ben Stiller/Luke Wilson bit! Old British actors rock! Peter Jackson got robbed but Ron Howard is such a likeable guy I can't hold it against him,
smile.gif

Russell Crowe was the best actor this year. Sean Penn should have tied for it with him. Denzel is always good, but it feels wrong that Beautiful Mind won for everyone but him. well at least Halle was happy to get it, Ebert said Jennifer Connolly acted like it was no big deal. Halle, however, acted like she didn't know she got it for being the "best actress." It wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 03-27-2002).]

I didn't see it
frown.gif
it was televised on what we call "Channel Hiss" here. We get really really really bad reception). And "A Beautiful Mind" STILL hasn't opened at our local theatre. Living in rural Oz sucks some times.

And now I read here that Sidney Poitier was "wonderful,eloquent, emotional and so classy". My parents took me to the drive-in to see "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" because dad is a Spencer Tracey fan. I must have been pretty young way back then but I still managed to fall in love with Sidney Poitier. I am sorry to have missed his presentation.
...and how do you thank some one who has taken you from crayon's to perfume?.... Boy he deserved that award.
I used to watch the Oscars with my mum too MM. I love the pictures
smile.gif

Gene Kelly Paul Newman aahhhh magic.

Don't wanna hear what I have to say. But Russell didn't win: BIG THUMBS DOWN. Halle made me realize why I decided to miss the show in the first place. And I didn't wanna hear stupid people i.e Joan Rivers *a woman who has been dead a thousand times* blabbing on about Armani this, Vera Wang that, and Donna Karen whatever... its really sickening after a while.

Originally posted by U2live:
Russell Crowe was the best actor this year. Sean Penn should have tied for it with him. Denzel is always good, but it feels wrong that Beautiful Mind won for everyone but him. well at least Halle was happy to get it, Ebert said Jennifer Connolly acted like it was no big deal. Halle, however, acted like she didn't know she got it for being the "best actress." It wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 03-27-2002).]

Russell Crowe was plagued with a lot of bad publicity and I think it hurt him at the Oscars. I thought he definitely deserved it for Beautiful Mind. Of course, it was the only nominated performance I saw.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Truly:

I think it's amusing to watch the faces of the nominees who don't win. Most of them just smile politely, but Russell Crowe looked like he wanted to punch Denzel Washington in the face in my opinion.

That's funny--I expected that to be Russell Crowe's reaction, but I thought he appeared to show little reaction at all, and then was quite gracious in his support of the other winners' from Beautiful Mind.

I am now filled in on the big middle chunk of the awards that I fell asleep during.

I thought it was quite good, generally. I can't compare it to other years because I hardly ever watch it.

I thought the Cirque du Soleil was cool. Sidney Poitier's speech was great, and I thought Halle Berry's speech was sweet. Sometimes it can be really fake when people burst into tears, but I didn't think that was.

I think it's amusing to watch the faces of the nominees who don't win. Most of them just smile politely, but Russell Crowe looked like he wanted to punch Denzel Washington in the face in my opinion.

LOTR deserved more than 4 out of 13 awards if you ask me. I reckon it go so few because there are still two more films to come. Ian McKellen was robbed! He really should have won best supporting actor!

I think it was sickening to see how the Oscars sold out to PC, in one hug gollop. Washington said it best when he said; 'for 27 years i've been following Sydney, and what they do? Give me an award on the same night he gets one too!' Or words to that affect.. it was truly sickening. It wasn't out of artistic opinion, but the vulgarity of PC. How patronising. Had I been Halle Berry (who is a wonderful and beautiful actress) I would have been more annoyed than moved, but she WAS the first Black Actress, so I guess it was called for to be moved.

A BEAUTIFUL MIND was a hideously overrated movie, I found it dull and Jennifer Conolly's performance was equally overrated; she was the most annoying thing in the entire movie, though Crowe should have won, obviously - his performance was not overrated. However Ron Howard did not deservet the award, I felt Robert Altman did, and the Supporting Actress award SHOULD have gone to Helen Mirren for GOSFORD PARK, just like the hypercool Samuel L. Jackson proclaimed it. Best film should have been Moulin Rouge, and Best Supporting Actor was the only one I agreed with; Jim Broadbent was superb.

Oh, and Whoopi Goldberg was hilarious. She always is, she's fantastic.

Ant.

Back
Top Bottom