Comments, thoughts on this years Academy Awards telecast - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2002, 05:05 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:28 PM
J-Lo's hairdo looked bloody hideous, as did Gwyneth Paltrow. I may be a sap but I was moved by Halle Berry's ramblings. Tom Cruise on the other hand made me cringe; I just cannot for the life of me buy this sort of speech from him (but I nearly got teary-eyed at the New York tribute). Loved Ben Stiller/Luke Wilson bit! Old British actors rock! Peter Jackson got robbed but Ron Howard is such a likeable guy I can't hold it against him,

Old 03-27-2002, 05:15 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 12:28 AM
I guess nothing can ever satisfy us pple, eh?

Lets borrow Mick Jaggers lips for this part.................

Old 03-27-2002, 05:17 PM   #18
The Fly

Russell Crowe was the best actor this year. Sean Penn should have tied for it with him. Denzel is always good, but it feels wrong that Beautiful Mind won for everyone but him. well at least Halle was happy to get it, Ebert said Jennifer Connolly acted like it was no big deal. Halle, however, acted like she didn't know she got it for being the "best actress." It wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 03-27-2002).]
Old 03-27-2002, 07:24 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:28 AM
I didn't see it it was televised on what we call "Channel Hiss" here. We get really really really bad reception). And "A Beautiful Mind" STILL hasn't opened at our local theatre. Living in rural Oz sucks some times.

And now I read here that Sidney Poitier was "wonderful,eloquent, emotional and so classy". My parents took me to the drive-in to see "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" because dad is a Spencer Tracey fan. I must have been pretty young way back then but I still managed to fall in love with Sidney Poitier. I am sorry to have missed his presentation.
...and how do you thank some one who has taken you from crayon's to perfume?.... Boy he deserved that award.
I used to watch the Oscars with my mum too MM. I love the pictures
Gene Kelly Paul Newman aahhhh magic.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:17 PM   #20
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:28 PM
Don't wanna hear what I have to say. But Russell didn't win: BIG THUMBS DOWN. Halle made me realize why I decided to miss the show in the first place. And I didn't wanna hear stupid people i.e Joan Rivers *a woman who has been dead a thousand times* blabbing on about Armani this, Vera Wang that, and Donna Karen whatever... its really sickening after a while.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:48 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2live:
Russell Crowe was the best actor this year. Sean Penn should have tied for it with him. Denzel is always good, but it feels wrong that Beautiful Mind won for everyone but him. well at least Halle was happy to get it, Ebert said Jennifer Connolly acted like it was no big deal. Halle, however, acted like she didn't know she got it for being the "best actress." It wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 03-27-2002).]

Russell Crowe was plagued with a lot of bad publicity and I think it hurt him at the Oscars. I thought he definitely deserved it for Beautiful Mind. Of course, it was the only nominated performance I saw.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:20 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Truly:

I think it's amusing to watch the faces of the nominees who don't win. Most of them just smile politely, but Russell Crowe looked like he wanted to punch Denzel Washington in the face in my opinion.
That's funny--I expected that to be Russell Crowe's reaction, but I thought he appeared to show little reaction at all, and then was quite gracious in his support of the other winners' from Beautiful Mind.

I am now filled in on the big middle chunk of the awards that I fell asleep during.

Old 03-29-2002, 03:58 AM   #23
The Fly

I thought it was quite good, generally. I can't compare it to other years because I hardly ever watch it.

I thought the Cirque du Soleil was cool. Sidney Poitier's speech was great, and I thought Halle Berry's speech was sweet. Sometimes it can be really fake when people burst into tears, but I didn't think that was.

I think it's amusing to watch the faces of the nominees who don't win. Most of them just smile politely, but Russell Crowe looked like he wanted to punch Denzel Washington in the face in my opinion.

LOTR deserved more than 4 out of 13 awards if you ask me. I reckon it go so few because there are still two more films to come. Ian McKellen was robbed! He really should have won best supporting actor!
Old 04-02-2002, 03:17 AM   #24
Refugee

I think it was sickening to see how the Oscars sold out to PC, in one hug gollop. Washington said it best when he said; 'for 27 years i've been following Sydney, and what they do? Give me an award on the same night he gets one too!' Or words to that affect.. it was truly sickening. It wasn't out of artistic opinion, but the vulgarity of PC. How patronising. Had I been Halle Berry (who is a wonderful and beautiful actress) I would have been more annoyed than moved, but she WAS the first Black Actress, so I guess it was called for to be moved.

A BEAUTIFUL MIND was a hideously overrated movie, I found it dull and Jennifer Conolly's performance was equally overrated; she was the most annoying thing in the entire movie, though Crowe should have won, obviously - his performance was not overrated. However Ron Howard did not deservet the award, I felt Robert Altman did, and the Supporting Actress award SHOULD have gone to Helen Mirren for GOSFORD PARK, just like the hypercool Samuel L. Jackson proclaimed it. Best film should have been Moulin Rouge, and Best Supporting Actor was the only one I agreed with; Jim Broadbent was superb.

Oh, and Whoopi Goldberg was hilarious. She always is, she's fantastic.

Ant.