Comic Book Dorks - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 04:22 AM
Lucky Luke.
__________________

__________________
U2Man is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
yertle-the-turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: York, UK and Singapore
Posts: 11,750
Local Time: 11:22 AM
DC all the way.

Favourite as of now is Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Genius.
__________________

__________________
yertle-the-turtle is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 04:22 AM
Asterix
__________________
U2Man is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life
 
yertle-the-turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: York, UK and Singapore
Posts: 11,750
Local Time: 11:22 AM
Tintin
__________________
yertle-the-turtle is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 07:18 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Sad_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: completely out of touch
Posts: 42,360
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo


So how are the X-men doing this days, whenever I see how the storylines are doing, I get headeaches to many changes!! and new characteres I remember being pissed when I saw Colossus was killed he was my favorite character : huh:
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo



All the reasons why I read Astonishing X-Men. It was created for those of us who miss (most of) the team we grew up with: Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Kitty Pryde, the White Queen/Emma Frost (big storyline here at the moment).....and........ Colussus has returned...: shh: (it's explained in the first few issues of Astonishing). Plus, Joss Whedon is writing & he's doing a great job. Unfortunately, I believe he's leaving the book sometime next year. We'll see if the title stays as good.

But yeah, I find it very hard to pick up any of the other X-books. The stories are too rooted in history for a newcomer to take on; I don't like most of the teams; and many are drawn in too much of an anime style, which I've never liked (sorry, folks! : wink: ).

I've found DC much easier to get back into. Plus, they have some great writers right now. The "Identity Crisis" story arc (you can get it in trade version of you want) was excellent and is pretty much the reason I got back into comics.
Anime

Identity Crisis Rocked

But I have to disagree on Amazing X-men While I did appreciate what Joss Whedon did with Kitty Pryde's character, I cannot stand what has happened to Cyclops, who was my favorite X-man before this. Everything Whedon has done with him has been totally out of character - and I can't stand the white queen being involved with the x-men. I came into this in the 80's and the White Queen I know and love to hate would not have anything to do with Cyclops or the X-men.

Gambit as the Horseman of Apocalypse in Uncanny has been an interesting storyline imo - Gambit being my second favorite character - they tend to screw him up often and try to bring him back which is sometimes hard to stand. Marvel has too much writer turn over these days - and not enough character continuity - Colossus and Psylocke's deaths and then Resurrections being perfect examples of the worst of what happens when there are too many writers allowed too much creative license with important characters

The Nightcrawler series was really excellent, from about two years back or so - that one stood out as particularly well written and drawn as did the Maddox limited series which I understand led to the new X-factor, but I have yet to pick any of those up.
__________________
Sad_Girl is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 04:22 AM
Donald Duck
__________________
U2Man is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #22
Refugee
 
daafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,176
Local Time: 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo
I used to collect comics from...I guess 1992 through 1996 every single X title

X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
X-Factor
New Mutants/X-Force
Excalibur
Unlimited X-Men
Generation X
Cable
plus all the limitied series, Gambit, Rogue, Cable, Deadpool, Bishop, Cyclops and Phoenixs etc

my last saga was The Age Of Apocalypse which I really enjoyed then I bought probably an issue of each after that and that was it I started getting into other stuff mainly girls I probably have around 700-900 issues, bought a lot of old ones, and also got a lot from Image when they were starting plus Death of Superman, all the return of Superman Saga stuff and other crap

I have everything in great condition, bagged, sealed and eventhough I don't read them anymore I can't get myself to sell them
Right there with ya. I still have my 500+ comics all sealed up and waiting for...oh i don't know...a buyer.

I used to go every week and pick up all of my comics, mostly marvel. When the "Man of Steel" series came out I only bought the first two issues because I couldn't follow the story. I didn't realize right away that I had to buy 3 other superman titles just to follow the story

I faded out of the comic book seen when 10 million x-men titles started popping up.
__________________
daafish is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
trevster2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,330
Local Time: 11:52 PM
I agree with daafish about the X-men titles. X-men, X-Factor, X-Force, Uncanny X-men, Excalibur, Unlimited X-men, X-babies, X-farm animals, X-wives. It got silly and impossible to follow. There are still a ton of X-titles today. Of course, there are some good stories in there but I don't have the time or money to sift through the pile.

Stephen King Dark Tower fans should know that Marvel is putting out a comics adaption early next year with art by Jae Lee. Could be good.
__________________
trevster2k is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
trevster2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,330
Local Time: 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

I've found DC much easier to get back into. Plus, they have some great writers right now. The "Identity Crisis" story arc (you can get it in trade version of you want) was excellent and is pretty much the reason I got back into comics. [/B]
Me too!!

Amazing how back in the early nineties, a top selling book was selling over a million copies but until recently a top selling book was lucky to sell 50-75000 copies. The industry was decimated when a lot of readers left along with the impact of videogames. But their has been a revival of late to the genre thanks to projects like Identity Crisis.
__________________
trevster2k is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 06:11 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k


Me too!!

Amazing how back in the early nineties, a top selling book was selling over a million copies but until recently a top selling book was lucky to sell 50-75000 copies. The industry was decimated when a lot of readers left along with the impact of videogames. But their has been a revival of late to the genre thanks to projects like Identity Crisis.

Yeah, it really is amazing. Comics were huge in the mid-90s. They really blossomed with the Death of Superman, I think. There were some great X-Men storylines around that time, too, so fans of the cartoon jumped on board and started reading. But then X-Men got complicated (I stopped at the whole Phalanx thing). Gen-13 came out and the focus switched to drawing anime-style girls with giant boobs. And Superman split into a red and a blue Superman, and then became some sort of Electric Superman. That was when I bailed.

But yeah, now there's some really great writing again (in the big superhero books, that is; I never really ventured into more indie books). Identity Crisis was just awesome to me. Never was I the slightest bit interested in foagies like Green Arrow. Now I'm into that stuff!


Sad_Girl----Yeah, you're right about Whedon & Astonishing X-Men. Thinking about it more closely, I guess one of the main reasons I like it is Kitty Pryde. I'm glad to see her back & cool. But you're right---the treatment of Cyclops sucks. And I'm not fond of the cat-like Beast. As for the Emma Frost bit, that took me a while to get used to (though hasn't she been a member of the team in other X-books for a couple of years?). You may be glad to know that her bit is really falling apart right now and making for some interesting stuff.....

I'll probably read a few more issues of Astonishing and then may drop it off. Marvel just isn't doing it for me right now. The Civil War proper series----kick-ass. Civil War X-men---sucked. The Spider-Man Civil War tie-ins----predictable, but pretty good. But I'm just not drawn to most of the Marvel stuff right now. After years of corny heroes and corny villains, I'm being turned on by DC again.
__________________
Utoo is offline  
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Sad_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: completely out of touch
Posts: 42,360
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo



Yeah, it really is amazing. Comics were huge in the mid-90s. They really blossomed with the Death of Superman, I think. There were some great X-Men storylines around that time, too, so fans of the cartoon jumped on board and started reading. But then X-Men got complicated (I stopped at the whole Phalanx thing). Gen-13 came out and the focus switched to drawing anime-style girls with giant boobs. And Superman split into a red and a blue Superman, and then became some sort of Electric Superman. That was when I bailed.

But yeah, now there's some really great writing again (in the big superhero books, that is; I never really ventured into more indie books). Identity Crisis was just awesome to me. Never was I the slightest bit interested in foagies like Green Arrow. Now I'm into that stuff!


Sad_Girl----Yeah, you're right about Whedon & Astonishing X-Men. Thinking about it more closely, I guess one of the main reasons I like it is Kitty Pryde. I'm glad to see her back & cool. But you're right---the treatment of Cyclops sucks. And I'm not fond of the cat-like Beast. As for the Emma Frost bit, that took me a while to get used to (though hasn't she been a member of the team in other X-books for a couple of years?). You may be glad to know that her bit is really falling apart right now and making for some interesting stuff.....

I'll probably read a few more issues of Astonishing and then may drop it off. Marvel just isn't doing it for me right now. The Civil War proper series----kick-ass. Civil War X-men---sucked. The Spider-Man Civil War tie-ins----predictable, but pretty good. But I'm just not drawn to most of the Marvel stuff right now. After years of corny heroes and corny villains, I'm being turned on by DC again.

I've not picked up the last few Astonishing X-men, so I don't have first hand knowledge of the more recent storyline stuff, but a good friend of mine and fellow comic book dork has been following it and has hinted to me that she thinks Emma will be turning back into the evil bitch I knew and loved so there may be hope there, yet.

Emma Frost was turned into a 'good guy' and member of the X family during Generation X actually in the early 1990's - I wasn't happy about it, but she kept a seperate institute from the Westchester School and the distance made her more believable - her motives and methods were still different enough from the others that she wasn't really part of the team.

I suppose a big part of my anti-Emma prejudice is directly because of the fact that I've always been a huge Jean Grey fan, the Dark Phoenix saga was really great and though they have made some major mess-ups where she is concerned in the years since then, she is generally a good, solid character. Her being killed off and replaced was an insult to me as a long-time fan.


I've read more DC in the past couple of years tha I ever used to - they are much better at continuity than Marvel is, their editors keep a much tighter leash on the writers and they don't go so far with one group as Marvel does (per the too many X-titles to keep up with - I mean, Wolverine for awhile was on EVERY X-team plus his own solo series - continuity be damned, he was popular and making them money! )

Nightwing is a surprisingly solid series for DC, and the Legends of the Dark Knight series is a must-read for fans of the dark, angsty, early years Batman. There is also the Batman-Superman rivalry which is always entertaining!
__________________
Sad_Girl is offline  
Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Just read the Batman: Hush miniseries. Jeph Loeb is one kick-ass writer. He needs to keep writing Batman.
__________________
Utoo is offline  
Old 12-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Never read a comic book in my life, but I'm drooling with anticipation for Marvel's presentation of Stephen King's Dark Tower mini-series thing. God, that's going to be good.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 12:18 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
trevster2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,330
Local Time: 11:52 PM
A really good read is Squadron Supreme. An unique look at superheroes from a semi-real world perspective. No holds barred and in your face.

It first appeared as a limited series a few years back under the name Supreme Power. The TPBs are available and I highly recommend them.
__________________
trevster2k is offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #30
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator
 
Bonochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cherry Lane
Posts: 40,816
Local Time: 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by neutral
JTHM
__________________

__________________
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com