comfortably numb query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmckinney

Acrobat
So I know there was a thread about this song a while back, but it seems to have died, and I have a new question.
I was wondering if any of the PF fans out there could recommend any high-quality boots of comfortably numb. By that I mean, not high performance quality, but soundboard or unusually good audience boots? I'm not at all a Floyd fan, but I'm a bit obssessed with numb, and I've run through all the official versions. Audio quality seems so important to really enjoying it...
Thanks!

Oh bugger it all! I can't find my Wall boots anywhere. I know they're in a box in the garage with all of my other bootlegs. Where in the garage, I don't know, the place is in such a state. Checked my computer and I've only got two shows in my music folder (13-02-1980 LA and 28-02-1980 Nassau.) They're of reasonable quality. I really wanted to upload the Earl's Court 16-06-1981 show though, that's a great one. Brilliant quality, one of the best Wall boots I've ever heard. I found a torrent of it here. Hardly anyone is seeding, however.

I'll have a look again tomorrow. If I can't find the boots, I'll just upload the two I have on my computer. They're better than nothing. By the way, I haven't seen any soundboard recordings from the Wall tour. You might be able to find some soundboards of Comfortably Numb from the Division Bell tour. I don't have any Division Bell boots on me because I don't like that tour.

When you say you ran through all the official versions, is that including Is There Anybody Out There 1980-1981? People sometimes overlook that release.

This may be heresy to some, but I have always found the Pulse version to be the best of the best. Gilmour's extended solo is simply ineffable, and there is emotion in his voice unlike any other recording that I have heard. I recall the Live 8 performance being very strong as well, although I may simply have been overwhelmed by the moment. In any case, I still consider this song to be the crowning achievement of modern music- agonizingly beautiful in a way that no other track has ever approached.

GibsonGirl said:
When you say you ran through all the official versions, is that including Is There Anybody Out There 1980-1981? People sometimes overlook that release.

Yeah I have that, and I love it. Thanks for looking at least :)
It's funny, I grew up hating Floyd, even when I was into all the other bands of that era, but Numb just blows me away. I do prefer versions with both Gilmour and Waters, and I prefer Gilmour without Waters to Waters solo, but any version with any of them is worth listening to. I don't think I could handle hearing it squeezed into the grainy soundscape of a muddy bootleg, though.

cdisantis83 said:
I recall the Live 8 performance being very strong as well, although I may simply have been overwhelmed by the moment.

It's not bad. I love watching Waters singing along with Gilmour, completely caught up in the song.

xaviMF22 said:

:up:

the Pulse version sucks....:madspit:

I can't stand how they butcher Roger's parts :mad:

If you really want to hear Roger's parts mistreated, check out the Bob Geldof version on Gilmour's "In Concert" DVD. It doesn't help that he is reading the lyrics off a piece of notebook paper, either.

Another funny thing about that song, I was thinking, is that none of the covers seem to work. At the risk of bringing wrath upon my head, I think the Scissors' version is the best, insofar as it's the most original - but it's not really that good. The Dar Williams version is disappointing (how can a chick with an acoustic guitar go wrong on that?) and the Hornsby is downright offputting. Anybody know of a cover that actually comes close to the beauty of the real version?

The Roger Waters 1990 Berlin Wall concert features Van Morrison on vocals.....not exactly a cover, but an awesome version.
It's featured in the movie The Departed.

bgmckinney said:
Anybody know of a cover that actually comes close to the beauty of the real version?
There's a version by Sarah Slean on an album called Pink Floyd Redux, which is a covers album done entirely by women. I'm a big Sarah Slean fan, so I think it's awesome. It's got an ambient vibe to it, but vocally, it doesn't stray far from the original version, imo. :up:

Ifeelnumb84 said:
The Roger Waters 1990 Berlin Wall concert features Van Morrison on vocals.....not exactly a cover, but an awesome version.
It's featured in the movie The Departed.

Hey yeah that reminds me of another question - does anyone know who the two guitarists on that version are?
Levon Helm's drumming on that kicks ass.

bgmckinney said:

Hey yeah that reminds me of another question - does anyone know who the two guitarists on that version are?
Levon Helm's drumming on that kicks ass.

Snowy White (who is incredible - he played for Roger on his In The Flesh tour and is playing for him on his current tour) and Rick DiFonzo.

UberBeaver said:
When it comes to comfortably numb it's all about the solos. Same with Mother and Time. I tend to tune in only when Gilmour begins to dominate.

They also have incredible lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom