Comet 3D/Biela (lost) Superthread - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #571
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:16 PM
I've been thinking about this thing mostly in terms of comparing it to March Madness, so work with me.

More or less, each album is a conference. Conferences with one song are the mid-majors and weak ones, so they will be seeded lower. The stronger conferences will get that into consideration, and the top song from a strong conference will get high consideration.

And to do this, you and I would be the "selection committee." And then we'll make LMP Billy Packer so he can bitch about the ACC (which will be played by ... Hunky Dory).

Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #572
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I've been thinking about this thing mostly in terms of comparing it to March Madness, so work with me.

More or less, each album is a conference. Conferences with one song are the mid-majors and weak ones, so they will be seeded lower. The stronger conferences will get that into consideration, and the top song from a strong conference will get high consideration.

And to do this, you and I would be the "selection committee." And then we'll make LMP Billy Packer so he can bitch about the ACC (which will be played by ... Hunky Dory).
Mike Kryzakeadksajfg would be Song for Bob Dylan then.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #573
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Quote:

English, please.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #574
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
So, I'm gathering by the way you're talking that these 64 songs are going into 32 head-to-head match-ups? Then the 32 winners into 16 head-to-head match-ups, and so on?

Sorry guys, but that's a daft idea.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #575
Blue Crack Addict

sup guys. can i chime in, or is this another survivor chat?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #576
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

Now I'm just even more confused.
We vote in 64 songs and seed them like 1 vs. 16th seed. 2 vs. 15th seed. So on. It'll make sense and I'll send you the 64 songs when we get there so you can participate.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #577
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Is there a Cricket Madness down there? This would make things much easier to explain.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #578
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

English, please.
That's not en explanation for you, that's for Screwtape. You don't follow college basketball, so that wouldn't make sense.

In Australian terms, the idea is that we're picking 64 songs of Bowie's and putting them into a single elimination tournament. First round has 32 head-to-head match-ups. Second round has 16. Third has 8. Fourth has 4. Fifth has 2. Then the sixth is the championship.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #579
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I don't see how it gets any kind of worthwhile outcome. You'll end up with ridiculous match-ups.

To use U2 as an example, you'd end up with something like Rejoice vs Numb. What's even the point?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #580
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

Okay then we just set it up ourselves on what we thought was popular. That works.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #581
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I don't see how it gets any kind of worthwhile outcome. You'll end up with ridiculous match-ups.

To use U2 as an example, you'd end up with something like Rejoice vs Numb. What's even the point?
But that's the beauty of it. Songs that would not normally have a chance get a shot to advance. For example, Luminous Times barely lost but it would get a shot to go far. If we did this with Pink Floyd survivor we would have a lot more songs having a chance.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #582
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Okay then we just set it up ourselves on what we thought was popular. That works.
Well, I don't think the sixth song of Ziggy should be higher than the first from Station to Station, for example. I think we should do seeding and then follow that up with the match-up making.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #583
Vocal parasite

I do, incidentally, like the way you guys are running the album voting right now to get the 64 songs.

I just don't like what you do afterwards. I'm sure that could be done in a way that makes a lot more sense - though everything I can think of at the moment requires a switch at some point to voting for your least favourite, which I don't think is such a good move.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #584
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

And that doesn't happen in other survivors?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #585
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Well, I don't think the sixth song of Ziggy should be higher than the first from Station to Station, for example. I think we should do seeding and then follow that up with the match-up making.
I understand.

Tags
superthread