Comet 3D/Biela (lost) Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

See, I think the only comparisons that make any sense there are Tomorrow vs OTH and NYD vs God Part II. The others are essentially meaningless "apples vs oranges" rounds that produce nonsense results.

Look at the 1980-83 section. All of those songs can be compared to each other. They fit together. They all belong in that context. Meanwhile, if you look at the match-ups, there isn't even any context. It's just a bunch of pointless song comparisons that somebody could have pulled out of their arse.

Differences in songs are what bring us together as fans. The thought that would go into these matchups would be great for U2 fans. WOWY and Rejoice would have the most unique points of view. In the end, survivor is about celebrating an artist. That's what would happen.

Screwtape2 said:
The seeding will give chances to song that wouldn't normally have a chance. You'll see.

But namkcuR's seeding system does that too, and doesn't sacrifice context.

Axver, in your thing there, even by the end there will be clashes. Honestly, it's not like they don't happen. The final rounds of these tournaments work fine, despite their clashing. I don't see how it's a problem.

Screwtape2 said:

Differences in songs are what bring us together as fans. The thought that would go into these matchups would be great for U2 fans. WOWY and Rejoice would have the most unique points of view. In the end, survivor is about celebrating an artist. That's what would happen.

Celebrating an artist without context to place the songs in makes no sense.

And I think voting requires much more thought when the pairings fit, belong together, etc. When it's apples vs apples rather than apples vs oranges, you've got a much harder time deciding why you prefer that particular apple.

phillyfan26 said:
Axver, in your thing there, even by the end there will be clashes. Honestly, it's not like they don't happen. The final rounds of these tournaments work fine, despite their clashing. I don't see how it's a problem.

Yes, but there's at least logic behind the clashes. Look at PF Survivor. What the hell was Several Species doing in the final? Well, the logic is that we vote for our favourite song from each album, and then our favourite song overall is logically going to be one of those favourites. So Several Species belongs. It has a context.

This? You might as well not waste time with the rounds and just start some random match-up of Always Crashing In The Same Car vs Warszawa.

Screwtape2 said:

But it's Radiohead. It all sounds the same. :wink:

Not even I could argue that with a straight face! :lol:

Seriously though you'll see lower seeds go far in our survivor. The seeding will make sense.

Part of it is that I simply don't like sudden death head-to-head match-ups. We've at least in part moved away from that on the Desert Island by putting them within the broader group stages, and I think that's been for the better in a big way.

Axver said:

Yes, but there's at least logic behind the clashes. Look at PF Survivor. What the hell was Several Species doing in the final? Well, the logic is that we vote for our favourite song from each album, and then our favourite song overall is logically going to be one of those favourites. So Several Species belongs. It has a context.

This? You might as well not waste time with the rounds and just start some random match-up of Always Crashing In The Same Car vs Warszawa.

Every Bowie album sounds unique. Every U2 album sounds unique. Saying a certain time period counts for the same fruit is wrong. October doesn't sound like Boy or War. Zooropa doesn't sound like AB or Pop. The genre might be the same but that doesn't make them the same. Comparing any album is apples to oranges. Our way is the best way to compare those two things.

Axver said:
Celebrating an artist without context to place the songs in makes no sense.

And I think voting requires much more thought when the pairings fit, belong together, etc. When it's apples vs apples rather than apples vs oranges, you've got a much harder time deciding why you prefer that particular apple.

And Screwtape and I disagree. It's not like I don't understand what you're saying. I get it, for the most part. I just think match-ups like Numb vs. Rejoice are fine. I can choose in that match-up. I'll choose Rejoice over Numb. Electric Co. vs. Bad? I'll choose Bad. I don't see why that's difficult.

More than my three disc DI5 list?

Title: America
Disc 1: Jesus
Disc 2: Baseball
Disc 3: The Republican Party

phillyfan26 said:
More than my three disc DI5 list?

Title: America
Disc 1: Jesus
Disc 2: Baseball
Disc 3: The Republican Party

All three tie into George Bush so well, too.

I think what this fundamentally comes down to, beyond just ludicrous match-ups that would get laughed at if somebody randomly started a Rejoice vs Numb thread on EYKIW, is that I don't think sudden death head-to-head rounds are a good idea.

phanan said:
Hey Axver, did you know that the new Russian Circles has leaked?

Yep. I've downloaded it but I haven't listened yet. Just haven't had the time to give it the attention I'd like to give.

Have you played it? If so, how does it compare to Enter?

Axver said:

Yep. I've downloaded it but I haven't listened yet. Just haven't had the time to give it the attention I'd like to give.

Have you played it? If so, how does it compare to Enter?

I didn't realize that it had leaked until now, so I'm downloading it. I hope to give it a listen tomorrow at work in between some DI playlists.

It will be tough to top Enter, but we'll see...

Axver said:
:lol: Do I have that version? i.e. have you sent it to me before? I'm not sure if I've heard it. I've heard OF it before, though.
i only have it on vinyl
down.gif
the only stuff off a&m frenzy i have on cd is obviously, the mixes that are the same on each version (which is all of side a iirc) and then the luton stuff that was used on side b. those songs are:

hermit mcdermitt (this is where i heard it before luton came out obviously, and plus the music video uses the luton recording)
holy smoke
carried away
mind over matter
livin' it up (freakiest enz song ever!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom