Come By Chance, Newfoundland and Labrador, Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Serena. :wave:

Oh, it's not just you. Add "pretentious" to that description and you'll hit the nail on the head. English students can be very overwhelming, particularly in upper-level courses. My early modern prose and poetry course, for instance, is filled with a bunch of knobheads who think that they know everything there is to know about renaissance humanism, and make a point of slipping interesting little factoids in whenever my professor stops to take a breath. :happy:

Oh god, how could you teach such a bunch of miserable, overblown prats. :crack:

See, this is why History is good. Most people tend to keep their mouths shut because they're afraid of being owned by somebody who knows the relevant field in more depth than they do. And I think I've been fairly lucky in PolSci; I haven't encountered nearly as many weirdo activists as I expected. Students seem increasingly apathetic.

So what's your favourite Duran Duran album Axver? :wink:
Seven And The Ragged Tiger.

Okay guys, I'm going to bed now night :wave:

'Night. :wave:

I should probably go, too. Plato's Ion awaits me.
wail.gif
Fuck you, Plato!

Yeah, he's the best. I want to pattern my old self after him. He lives in the same house he built with his own hands, builds little birdhouses, and still loves music. His hearing is going though, which sucks...he can't play the accordion anymore, because he's lost a certain pitch recognition. I'd love to get him a new set of ears...or a really great hearing aid.

Summer's not officially over until the 21st. :applaud: You just reminded me of that. I'll have to pull the skeleton and witch stickers off the window. :sad:
oh wow, that's awesome! that sucks that his hearing's going though. i hope that's the only thing he loses though.

yeah, this is true. i hate how here everyone acts like summer's over after labour day. :rolleyes: it's especially stupid since everyone starts back to school before that and it's still plenty hot here in september! and wait, you're removing that stuff when it's so close (in consumer standards, given how early they start airing commercials) to halloween?

GG, or is it Steph? Annnnyways, I was watching a lot of Mystery Science Theater yesterday, and I laughed out loud twice during two separate episodes because of you:

1st incident) Servo: Wow. The God's really MUST be crazy

2nd Inicident) They're watching a terrible movie called Monster A-Go-Go, which, for some reason that I haven't discovered yet, because I had to pause the episode, has a person narrating the film as if it were a true story. Anyways, the narrator goes "Something fell from the sky!" and in response Crow or Servor says: "A Coke Bottle?"

ETA: shit, in my half asleep state I took to long typing this and I see she's gone off to bed :(

:evil: I'm never changin my sig.

Did you see my Prog rant on page 8?

... until somebody epically pwns Larry, anyway.

No, because 1. I can't be bothered to argue music, just joke about it, and 2. I'm not reading over the threads so much any more because when I go to sleep, the Superthread seems to turn into something other than the Superthread.

GG, or is it Steph? Annnnyways, I was watching a lot of Mystery Science Theater yesterday, and I laughed out loud twice during two separate episodes because of you:

1st incident) Servo: Wow. The God's really MUST be crazy

2nd Inicident) They're watching a terrible movie called Monster A-Go-Go, which, for some reason that I haven't discovered yet, because I had to pause the episode, has a person narrating the film as if it were a true story. Anyways, the narrator goes "Something fell from the sky!" and in response Crow or Servor says: "A Coke Bottle?"
is Monster A-go-go good? I almost bought that one today.

... until somebody epically pwns Larry, anyway.

No, because 1. I can't be bothered to argue music, just joke about it, and 2. I'm not reading over the threads so much any more because when I go to sleep, the Superthread seems to turn into something other than the Superthread.
Fine. Then you won't get to see that I admitted partial defeat in our prog v. punk fake argument with my purchase of 7 Floyd albums.

is Monster A-go-go good? I almost bought that one today.

I've only watched 20 minutes so far, and it's pretty f'd up already, mostly because of the short which was "Circus on Ice" which, as many jokes as the SOL gang were making, wasn't enough to save it, and I fell asleep, not good, since I really need to finish reading this book. I was going to try and flip between that, the forum, and the book to try and motivate me to read faster, but now I've just gotta hurry up and read the book, can't believe I fell asleep :scream:

ETA: the episode is also name dropped in "Manos" The Hands of Fate, at one point in time Joel says if they could get through Monster a-go-go they can get through anything

I love when music reminds me of old arse video games like that.
me too! :heart:

It's not embarrassing. Try harder.
well, it is for me. i don't like jimmy eat world, and tease a friend of mine about them all the time since they're one of his favourite bands.

Guess I just have to go reading back. :wink:
ha, at least you're not as bad as me. i had to read an entire thread since i wasn't on yesterday!

oh wow, that's awesome! that sucks that his hearing's going though. i hope that's the only thing he loses though.

yeah, this is true. i hate how here everyone acts like summer's over after labour day. :rolleyes: it's especially stupid since everyone starts back to school before that and it's still plenty hot here in september! and wait, you're removing that stuff when it's so close (in consumer standards, given how early they start airing commercials) to halloween?

:lol: Walmartization of the universe! :sad:

Yes, I completely agree. I loathe the back-to-school industry. It seems like that gets going earlier and earlier every year, like the end of July. I want to be a spokesman for children who want their summer back. Society is so quick to accelerate everything these days, instead of just living in the moment. I think the Christmas catalouge came in mid-July...just after I returned from a swim. :angry:

'Night. :wave:

I should probably go, too. Plato's Ion awaits me.
wail.gif
Fuck you, Plato!

:lol:

I started reading "The Works of Plato" a few weeks ago on the plane...I found it in my grandmother's attic. I actually really started getting into it, but maybe that was because I was trying to distract myself from the possibility of crashing. :wink:

Fine. Then you won't get to see that I admitted partial defeat in our prog v. punk fake argument with my purchase of 7 Floyd albums.

Seven? :ohmy:

I must admit, I've somewhat moved on from prog anyway. Some of the bands are incredible, e.g. the Floyd, but so many are pointless, overblown pretentiousness, probably made by the English wankers Steph and I have discussed. I no longer really actively seek out much prog.

Oh god, how could you teach such a bunch of miserable, overblown prats. :crack:

See, this is why History is good. Most people tend to keep their mouths shut because they're afraid of being owned by somebody who knows the relevant field in more depth than they do. And I think I've been fairly lucky in PolSci; I haven't encountered nearly as many weirdo activists as I expected. Students seem increasingly apathetic.

I don't know, but I might find out in a few years' time. :hmm:

Being owned in History is bad. I'll never forget the one fellow who was ripped to shreds (in a purely figurative sense, of course) by a fellow student in a medieval studies course I took, simply for mistaking Edward II for Edward III. I usually tend to keep my mouth shut as well, unless I'm absolutely certain that I know what I'm talking about and the professor has actually asked a question. Sometimes this backfires on me, though...like it did today. :crack: My American Lit professor asked if any of us were familiar with the "white man's burden" of British Imperialism. I nodded my head absently, and of course, he asked me to explain. I had a momentary brain freeze and had to mumble out an excuse. Never mind that I've written THREE BLOODY PAPERS on Imperialism and have had the guilt of the whole "white man's burden" attitude drilled into me from birth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom