Come By Chance, Newfoundland and Labrador, Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to post this again to give you guys a sort of heads up if you were wondering:

Originally Posted by bono_212
So anyways, just got back from the Doctor. I have bronchitis and a viral infection, so she told me to just treat the bronchitis with my inhaler, and i'm on MucinexD for the rest of the stuff, and while I was there I mentioned the allergy problems I have while I'm in Texas, so she told me to come back in a week after all this has cleared up and she'll figure out what meds I need :D

I've only watched 20 minutes so far, and it's pretty f'd up already, mostly because of the short which was "Circus on Ice" which, as many jokes as the SOL gang were making, wasn't enough to save it, and I fell asleep, not good, since I really need to finish reading this book. I was going to try and flip between that, the forum, and the book to try and motivate me to read faster, but now I've just gotta hurry up and read the book, can't believe I fell asleep :scream:

ETA: the episode is also name dropped in "Manos" The Hands of Fate, at one point in time Joel says if they could get through Monster a-go-go they can get through anything
:yes:

Your sleepiness is Dr Forrester's fault! :madwife:

If you get the opportunity, see "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?" episode. Naturally, it's a musical! With no songs.... yeah.

I don't know, but I might find out in a few years' time. :hmm:

Being owned in History is bad. I'll never forget the one fellow who was ripped to shreds (in a purely figurative sense, of course) by a fellow student in a medieval studies course I took, simply for mistaking Edward II for Edward III. I usually tend to keep my mouth shut as well, unless I'm absolutely certain that I know what I'm talking about and the professor has actually asked a question. Sometimes this backfires on me, though...like it did today. :crack: My American Lit professor asked if any of us were familiar with the "white man's burden" of British Imperialism. I nodded my head absently, and of course, he asked me to explain. I had a momentary brain freeze and had to mumble out an excuse. Never mind that I've written THREE BLOODY PAPERS on Imperialism and have had the guilt of the whole "white man's burden" attitude drilled into me from birth!

History students scare me, especially the ones like this guy that I've shared a class with twice now. The kind with the long hair, acne, apparent they don't leave their rooms often because they're too busy listening to political/talk/Howard Sternesque radio. Anyways, in my European Civilizations class (beginning to 1348) this kid would frequently NOT SHUT UP about a topic, but usually it was controllable....until we got to Greece. There was one day where I think he talked more than the professor. And the professor was very good at being polite to this kid, but it was funny to try and watch him, unsuccessfully, shut the guy up. Now I share a Russian history class with him, and, while it doesn't seem to be his forte the way that Greek history obviously is, I still hear him pipe up at least once a day

I don't know, but I might find out in a few years' time. :hmm:

Being owned in History is bad. I'll never forget the one fellow who was ripped to shreds (in a purely figurative sense, of course) by a fellow student in a medieval studies course I took, simply for mistaking Edward II for Edward III. I usually tend to keep my mouth shut as well, unless I'm absolutely certain that I know what I'm talking about and the professor has actually asked a question. Sometimes this backfires on me, though...like it did today. :crack: My American Lit professor asked if any of us were familiar with the "white man's burden" of British Imperialism. I nodded my head absently, and of course, he asked me to explain. I had a momentary brain freeze and had to mumble out an excuse. Never mind that I've written THREE BLOODY PAPERS on Imperialism and have had the guilt of the whole "white man's burden" attitude drilled into me from birth!

I could totally handle teaching History. When lecturers ask if there are any questions, usually they get a very, very silent response!

Ouch. I've never seen anybody act particularly rude, but I've certainly seen a few people end up looking pretty silly and embarrassed. I tend to be one of the more talkative in tutorials, though - and it helps that one subject this semester actually touches on New Zealand and the tutor likes to call on me to spout off about it. As for imperialism and colonialism, can I just take this opportunity to say that within both History and PolSci, the study of that is filled with the most miserable, chip-on-their-shoulder quasi-intellectual pricks either field has to offer? God, I can't stand it.

:lol: Walmartization of the universe! :sad:

Yes, I completely agree. I loathe the back-to-school industry. It seems like that gets going earlier and earlier every year, like the end of July. I want to be a spokesman for children who want their summer back. Society is so quick to accelerate everything these days, instead of just living in the moment. I think the Christmas catalouge came in mid-July...just after I returned from a swim. :angry:
oh god, yes. christmas is just getting ridiculous. some stores are putting out christmas decorations so early now, and commercials are even worse! ugh.

Which Floyd albums did you buy?
Meddle, Saucerful of Secrets, Animals, Atom Heart Mother, And Relics. And MAdcapLaughs and Barrett by Syd by himself. I already had DSOTM, The Wall, And Wish You Were Here.

I LOVE living in a coed dorm :|

I'm in my pajamas (I'm sick, leave me alone) and my hair's a mess, someone just knocked on the door, and I answer it, forgetting about that little factor, and it's my male RA (residential assistant) :banghead:

The kind with the long hair, acne, apparent they don't leave their rooms often because they're too busy listening to political/talk/Howard Sternesque radio.

As opposed to posting on the Superthread?

GG, or is it Steph? Annnnyways, I was watching a lot of Mystery Science Theater yesterday, and I laughed out loud twice during two separate episodes because of you:

1st incident) Servo: Wow. The God's really MUST be crazy

2nd Inicident) They're watching a terrible movie called Monster A-Go-Go, which, for some reason that I haven't discovered yet, because I had to pause the episode, has a person narrating the film as if it were a true story. Anyways, the narrator goes "Something fell from the sky!" and in response Crow or Servor says: "A Coke Bottle?"

ETA: shit, in my half asleep state I took to long typing this and I see she's gone off to bed :(

GG, not to be a pain, but i was just wondering if you saw this

GG, or is it Steph? Annnnyways, I was watching a lot of Mystery Science Theater yesterday, and I laughed out loud twice during two separate episodes because of you:

1st incident) Servo: Wow. The God's really MUST be crazy

2nd Inicident) They're watching a terrible movie called Monster A-Go-Go, which, for some reason that I haven't discovered yet, because I had to pause the episode, has a person narrating the film as if it were a true story. Anyways, the narrator goes "Something fell from the sky!" and in response Crow or Servor says: "A Coke Bottle?"

ETA: shit, in my half asleep state I took to long typing this and I see she's gone off to bed :(

Call me Steph. That way we won't get mixed up with Galeongirl. :wink:

And :lol:! Jamie Uys would be proud.

GG, not to be a pain, but i was just wondering if you saw this

I did just now, sorry - I find it hard to keep up with Superthreads. :lol: It doesn't help that I have the Internet connection from HELL.

Call me Steph. That way we won't get mixed up with Galeongirl. :wink:

And :lol:! Jamie Uys would be proud.

Damn it, look at you posting at the same time as me :reject: :lol:

alright, Steph it is ;)

I was quite proud myself :lol: I still haven't got around to watching the movie, but it's at the top of my list

I could totally handle teaching History. When lecturers ask if there are any questions, usually they get a very, very silent response!

Ouch. I've never seen anybody act particularly rude, but I've certainly seen a few people end up looking pretty silly and embarrassed. I tend to be one of the more talkative in tutorials, though - and it helps that one subject this semester actually touches on New Zealand and the tutor likes to call on me to spout off about it. As for imperialism and colonialism, can I just take this opportunity to say that within both History and PolSci, the study of that is filled with the most miserable, chip-on-their-shoulder quasi-intellectual pricks either field has to offer? God, I can't stand it.

Wait, maybe I'm wrong...you're starting to sound JUST like that kid :wink:

I have it in one of my boxed sets. even MST3K can't salvage that movie. There's just nothing going on to make fun of.

Oh that's bad, I don't know if I'd want to see it then. I mean, circus on ice was only ten minutes long, it would be like 90 minutes of circus on ice

Wait, maybe I'm wrong...you're starting to sound JUST like that kid :wink:

Hah. As I said, only when my tutor actually calls on me to spout off. :wink:

I do tend to be one of the more talkative/argumentative in tutorials, though usually not the most so. There seems to be this pattern that there'll be about four or five of us who'll talk a fair bit in any given tute, then another three or so who'll occasionally add something to the debate, then the remaining 5-10 just don't say a word unless called upon.

And I've only once ever said anything in a lecture in almost three years, to provide a date the lecturer couldn't remember.

History students scare me, especially the ones like this guy that I've shared a class with twice now. The kind with the long hair, acne, apparent they don't leave their rooms often because they're too busy listening to political/talk/Howard Sternesque radio. Anyways, in my European Civilizations class (beginning to 1348) this kid would frequently NOT SHUT UP about a topic, but usually it was controllable....until we got to Greece. There was one day where I think he talked more than the professor. And the professor was very good at being polite to this kid, but it was funny to try and watch him, unsuccessfully, shut the guy up. Now I share a Russian history class with him, and, while it doesn't seem to be his forte the way that Greek history obviously is, I still hear him pipe up at least once a day

He sounds like "that guy".

Edit: It would help if I included the URL, wouldn't it?

oh god, yes. christmas is just getting ridiculous. some stores are putting out christmas decorations so early now, and commercials are even worse! ugh.

I'm suddenly picturing smiling women with their new sweaters, dancing in snowflakes. :sad:

I was at a grocery store last night, in the book section...and I suddenly envisioned the Christmas rush, with people swarming all over. I frightened myself for a second. :wink: Once it's actually Christmas, I really love it...but the build-up months in advance is so horrible.

...And to all, a good night! :wave: Have to get up at 6. :angry:

Hah. As I said, only when my tutor actually calls on me to spout off. :wink:

I do tend to be one of the more talkative/argumentative in tutorials, though usually not the most so. There seems to be this pattern that there'll be about four or five of us who'll talk a fair bit in any given tute, then another three or so who'll occasionally add something to the debate, then the remaining 5-10 just don't say a word unless called upon.

And I've only once ever said anything in a lecture in almost three years, to provide a date the lecturer couldn't remember.

Ahh I'm just messing with you, there are only a select few people like this kid, and actually, until I'd ran into him, I thought perhaps they were truly a myth

See you, AoD. :wave:

Ahh I'm just messing with you, there are only a select few people like this kid, and actually, until I'd ran into him, I thought perhaps they were truly a myth

I've encountered two people along similar lines. The pillock I've already mentioned, and this chap in PolSci last year who just defined the wannabe debater kind of PolSci student who hides the fact he has no actual arguments behind really big words and quoting theorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom