College starts tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you all will do great...the best advice I can give you (i'm a college prof) is to get organized early in the semester. if you get horribly behind in a class and start floundering, don't avoid it cause it will only get worst.

if you're a first year, keep in mind that all the other first-year students are thinking: "ok, i just want to be able to walk from class to the cafeteria to the library without publicly humiliating myself."

and finally, remember that faculty members are more than likely nervous the first day of class, and are wondering what you think of them.

i'm sure we'll all have a great fall term (my school doesn't start for two more weeks :dance: :dance:)

Last edited:
I'm sure you will all do fine. Just remember, this isn't high school anymore. The professors are not going to be there to "baby" you.....it's a whole new ballgame. There are caring faculty members, but also faculty who have the attitude of you either sink or swim. It's a whole new learning and growing experience. The best of luck to you all.:wink:

ruffian said:
you all will do great...the best advice I can give you (i'm a college prof) is to get organized early in the semester. if you get horribly behind in a class and start floundering, don't avoid it cause it will only get worst.

Amen to that!! (Coming from a college senior and former freshman myself)... I had to learn that the hard way, though!

Also, make the most of office hours and school services (I wish I would have). They are there to help you! Don't be afraid to ask questions and for help if you need it!

Good luck! I'm sure you all will do fine!!!

Last edited:
My classes start on september the 5th....

Two weeks from now....

My second year in college and I'm a little nervous too. Just a little..

By the end of the first week your nervousness will subside. I didn't have to teach last semester and my students know I went to a ton of U2 shows, so I think I'll just talk about Bono until I remember how to teach again :lol:

Seriously, though, you all will do great :up:

ruffian said:
By the end of the first week your nervousness will subside. I didn't have to teach last semester and my students know I went to a ton of U2 shows, so I think I'll just talk about Bono until I remember how to teach again :lol:

What do you teach?

Good luck all! For those who are first-timers, don't worry, the time FLIES by.

I start my senior year on Sept. 6 :dance:

Se7en said:
it feels sooo good not having to go back! :up:

yay for the college graduate.

I felt that way too.

And now I can't wait to go back. Funny how that happens.

You will all have a good time. Going to bed late, caffeinating yourselves early and wondering why the hell you bought any of those "recommended reading" books.

Se7en said:
it feels sooo good not having to go back! :up:

yay for the college graduate.

good luck to you all. :sexywink:

same here! thank god i'm done, now i get to laugh at my friends who are going on to grad school :up:

Badyouken said:

What do you teach?

anthropology, which at least holds students' attention given the frequent nudity in powerpoint presentations :wink:

Ah yes... I've been on campus for nearly 2 weeks now. RA training and all of that. Classes here still don't start for another week though. Tuesday following this, to be exact. :yes:

Just got back from my first class, boy was that easy! We went over the syllabus, some letter from the provost about attendance, and then she let us leave (Statistics). The only problem is the prof is Chinese and it's often difficult to understand what she's saying :huh:

U2democrat said:
The only problem is the prof is Chinese and it's often difficult to understand what she's saying :huh:

quantitative or qualitative?

if its qual and you can't understand her, that could be trouble.

if its quant, ensure that she is making sense explaining the theoretical and providing clear and concise instructions whether you are dealing with a software package (such as SPSS) or utilizing formulas yourselves (i think and hope that is really rare these days).

either way, stats courses provide some of the most essential tools for successful professionals as well as grad students. even among these groups, there is considerable ambiguity and confusion surrounding statistics, their interpretation and how they are figured. being the person in the room that understands it all and can relay info in english to others is a gigantic competitive advantage.

--

the second year of my part time masters starts september 7th. i'm a little excited, but not too much.

I'm gonna be starting college classes within this next week or so, too. After graduating high school a couple of years ago and having been out of school for that long a time, it's gonna be really weird to get back into the swing of things again. But at the same time, I'm actually kinda looking forward to it, too-looks to be some really good, fun classes I can take here, and plus, it'll be nice to have something to do again.

This afternoon I'm retaking my placement test-would just bring the transcripts over from my previous school, but there seems to be a bit of a mix-up there and we're still waiting for them, and the people at the college want to get me going as soon as possible, so I'm just doing it again. But once that's taken care of, we'll get it all settled and I'll start things up this week. I'll keep the advice given in here in mind as well.

The nice thing, too, is that I'll only have some classes some days of the week, so I may have not that long a day of classes, which would be rather nice :). And the campus looks really nice, too. And it's right here in town, so I'm not gonna be all alone in some new place trying to find my way around.

Good luck to my fellow college-bound Interferencers :up: :). Nice to know I'll have some people here to talk to who'll know what I'm going through (a thread idea, perhaps?). And I think I speak for us all when I say that we'll appreciate hearing any more advice that those of you who've been through this already may have.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom