College starts tomorrow - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:31 AM
Ok, I just met with a group of in-coming first year students and they were asking for advice/tips on their first semester. This are just a few that may or may not be useful, and they are written from the faculty perspective (so just one perspective).

1. Just because you don't *have* to go to class doesn't mean you should skip. Students are sometimes the only consumers that want to be cheated out of their money. Regular attendance makes a good impression on faculty, and--duh--you'll learn more.

2. Limit the nights you go out and party and use that as a reward for completing a project or assignment, rather than making it the primary focus of your college experience (and define "party" anyway you want).

3. Professors really hate it when students raise their hands and say, "Do you have our exams graded yet?" Really, when they are done we'll hand them back.

4. Use your professor's offer of help! We get paid to do just that, and sometimes one-on-one attention can do wonders.

5. When making appointments with faculty, read the syllabus about when their office hours are held, and try to go during those times. If you can't make an appointment CALL...in addition to teaching, we serve on committees, do research, write, publish, and have many U2 concerts to attend. So time is precious.

6. Be selective about extracurricular sports/interest groups/volunteer work. You'll get busier and busier as the term goes on and by November you'll be all

7. Talking/whispering to other students is really rude, even in a class of 150 students. Professors hate this.

8. If you go out drinking till 4 in the morning and then miraculously go to class the next day but need to explain to the prof why you didn't hand your work in, be careful about saying "I've had the flu." Really, we can smell alcohol pretty easily.

9. If you are *really* not a morning person then avoid taking classes at that time--you'll do much better if you select times that work best for you.

10. Organize your time, your clothes, your lecture notes, your study hours. It will make a world of difference.

11. When you meet with your adviser, have *some* idea of the classes you want to take. You should go to the meeting having already looked at courses available, having already considered what your requirements are, and having checked to see if those classes you want have spaces available. Avoid the temptation to ask "What should I do with my life?" unless that was the specific reason for your appointment.

12. Never, ever plagiarize a paper (copy it from a source without acknowledging that source). You wouldn't believe how sophisticated the technology is to bust students these days. We submit ours to a huge database of papers submitted by students from all over the country, and of papers available online. I catch students every term, and it sucks.

I think starting a thread is a great idea, just to provide some support for everyone who's just starting out, or who's starting out but has concerns

Old 08-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 09:31 AM
i'm at college right now, its too busy and i couldn't find a parking spot. my spanish teacher is funny (comica). The ATM machine is broken and I have no lunch.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by learn2kneel
i'm at college right now, its too busy and i couldn't find a parking spot. my spanish teacher is funny (comica). The ATM machine is broken and I have no lunch.
i remember you from Chicago last May! ok, college girls (i'm gonna embarrass you, so duck now) you should totally ask this boy on a date.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ruffian

12. Never, ever plagiarize a paper (copy it from a source without acknowledging that source). You wouldn't believe how sophisticated the technology is to bust students these days. We submit ours to a huge database of papers submitted by students from all over the country, and of papers available online. I catch students every term, and it sucks.
My high school does that with our papers too.

Anyways, I won't be off to college for another year but some of the responses in this thread will be helpful to me.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by daygloeyes2

Anyways, I won't be off to college for another year but some of the responses in this thread will be helpful to me.
DG!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:33 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

DG!
Hola
Old 08-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by daygloeyes2

I do that too with my students. I love that database.
I caught 2 kids last year.

I miss college. Have fun people.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam'sbaby
My classes start on september the 5th....

Two weeks from now....

My second year in college and I'm a little nervous too. Just a little..
same here, but not my second year, this is going to be my third year and I'm not nervous at all

good luck to all
Old 08-22-2005, 04:57 PM   #39
VKX
Babyface

Local Time: 02:31 PM
I have about a year left at mine
Old 08-22-2005, 05:21 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Yay I spent $303 on books today! *I forgot how much fun that is :| *

Quote:

great now you can read my papers!

I love my classes. Since I am already in my major, I am taking my major courses, they are all classes that I want to take and will enjoy being there. The only gripe, the parking on my campus. I had to walk 1.5 miles today to my class because the lots were full. So my walk was a hike up some hills and across a busy street. I am going to lose weight because of the walking.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #41
Acrobat

College/university is a big step. But you'll easily get used to it if you're not a total slacker.

There's one word you need to remember: discipline. That's it. If you do your assignments/papers as soon as you get them and study a bit every day, you won't have to rush at the end of the semester. I'm heading into my 3rd year in Engineering and I'm not nervous at all.

However, I think our education system here in Québec has helped dealing with all this.

In the states, you go through 2 years of junior high (right?) before going to high school for 5 (correct me if I'm wrong) before heading to college/university. It's the same in most of Canada. So you get used to the high school formula; it's basically the same since you were in your mid teens. But in Québec, it's the other way around. After elementary school, you go through 5 years of high school. Then, if you're thinking of going to university, you study 2 years in CEGEP (Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel) in a more precise, yet still broad field (sciences, humanities, arts & literature, etc.). You could also do a 3-year technical program and head directly to the job market after that.

Now the thing with CEGEP is that it's quite similar to university. You don't *have* to go to class (most teachers don't use attendance sheets), you have very few exams (but they're worth a lot), you have more assignments and, mostly, teachers don't hold you by the hand like in high school.

This way, college/university is not such a big leap. You get more assignments and less exams (that are worth even more) but you're used to the drill.

Discipline is the key.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by learn2kneel

ooooh yes the good old college days, I remember lemme guess...umm..you lost your dorm key and now you cannot remember which mail box was yours..and when you remember you forget your combination Then after 1 hour of trying to get it open you finally do and find you HAVE no mail then you go back to your dorm........walk in your room , see your roomate there wiht his/her 73648 friends, they are sitting on your bed, they haven't bothered to pick up the pizza they dropped on your pillow

Old 08-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
1. Just because you don't *have* to go to class doesn't mean you should skip. Students are sometimes the only consumers that want to be cheated out of their money. Regular attendance makes a good impression on faculty, and--duh--you'll learn more.
Heh, even if I wanted to do that, I won't anyway, 'cause my parents probably wouldn't like it very much. But I'm not really known for doing that anyway, so I'm good there.

Quote:
2. Limit the nights you go out and party and use that as a reward for completing a project or assignment, rather than making it the primary focus of your college experience (and define "party" anyway you want).
Not much of a partier, but I'll keep this in mind .

Quote:
6. Be selective about extracurricular sports/interest groups/volunteer work. You'll get busier and busier as the term goes on and by November you'll be all
Heh, I pretty much know what I do and don't want to do extracurricular-wise-limit myself to the stuff that really interests me, which is a nice, small group of things, so again, no worries here.

Quote:
9. If you are *really* not a morning person then avoid taking classes at that time--you'll do much better if you select times that work best for you.
Most of my classes'll be in the afternoon/evening . Only three days where I'd have to be up early. I like sleeping in, but the classes are ones that would be worth getting up early for, so I'll deal with it.

Quote:
No desire to do this, either. Save myself and my teachers some grief. Plus, it's just lame.

Quote:
I think starting a thread is a great idea, just to provide some support for everyone who's just starting out, or who's starting out but has concerns
Well, again, thanks for the advice . We really appreciate it (and yes, this is a good idea for a thread). And I'll keep all the other stuff you shared in mind, too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Badyouken
In the states, you go through 2 years of junior high (right?) before going to high school for 5 (correct me if I'm wrong) before heading to college/university.
Depends on the place. I've seen it done in these three ways:

-7th & 8th grade are junior high (6th grade would be part of elementary school), and then 9th-12th are high school.

or

-7th-9th grade are junior high, and 10th-12th grade are high school.

or

-6th-8th grade are junior high, and 9th-12th grade are high school.

The last one in the list is how I did things.

Angela
Old 08-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

My first day went awesomely well...and what's better is that I get to sleep in tomorrow since I don't have class 'till 1
Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
[B]

Very important, as others have already pointed out. At my school, cheating or any form of plagiarism results in an automatic failure of the entire class.

One of my favorite profs told us this story about this guy in one of her upper level classes who wrote this amazing paper with a brilliant thesis. I don't remember how she found out, but it turns out the paper WAS his own work, but he'd made up ALL of the sources, data, citations, etc.

More than once I've had to re-work papers b/c the Profs won't take into account things that are common knowledge for me. For example, I know over 6500 people die of AIDS everyday. I don't know where I learned that, I just know it. On one paper, I had to go back and start citing my own lecture notes from stuff I'd picked up in another class to prove I wasn't bullshitting.