College-People Thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 PM   #31
Blue Meth Addict
Local Time: 09:13 AM
Originally posted by starsgoblue
I'd like to work in the music industry someday!

You should probably transfer to my university then. I guarantee you'd learn a thing or twenty.

Seriously, I'm even rocking out RIGHT NOW!

Old 11-18-2004, 07:27 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
Hmmm....University of Rocking Out. What would my major be?

Old 11-18-2004, 08:01 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:13 AM
Originally posted by bayernfc
4th Year, University of Toronto, studying Human Genetics.
God, that brings back memories.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:26 PM   #34
Originally posted by U2dork
I started at University of Georgia about 10 years ago and junior year, I decided to go out and work in "the real world". I'm glad I did because after 5 years, I realized I didn't want to be in that field for the rest of my life.
What did you do after leaving college, may I ask? I'm currently totally floundering in some dumpy community college because I've been clueless forever about what I want to do. Or, I should say that I do want to be a writer of sorts, but I don't want to get stuck with a "career" type of writing gig. My aspirations are more of novel/short story writing than anything, which you don't need four years of college to accomplish. I completely aced my journalism class last semester, and I'm sure I could make a fine career out of it, but my heart's not really there; journalism is much too unfriendly and cold a field.

I was thinking of dropping out for a while, to sample the real world. I'd like to see if working a basic job while concentrating on my writing would make me happy, because college sure is crushing my spirit. But I have no idea what I would do. I'd love to work full-time at a bookstore or something, except...can a person afford to live on a retail job alone? I'd of course make attempts to sell my writing as well, but that's hardly a steady form of income; it'd be pretty rare to get anything substantial, really.

I'd have no problem living in a trailer or something, unless a trailer is somehow more expensive than an apartment. I don't know...

Uh, anyway! Back to my question: What did you do, and what were your living arrangements like? I'd love your input.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:26 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Senior at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA, right outside Washington D.C. Majoring in psychology, but going right back for graduate school to study criminology.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 AM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I'm a professor at the University of Rocking Out.

Seriously, you dont even know. YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW!!!!!

mofo, what are you smoking? i thought you didn't do drugs...
Old 11-19-2004, 01:48 AM   #37
Local Time: 02:13 PM
I am a junior and a philosophy major at UCLA.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:09 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
senior at lebanon valley college - tiny liberal arts school in central pa. i'll be receiving a bachelor of music with a concentration in music recording technology in the spring...fingers crossed.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:03 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by Homerpalooza

Uh, anyway! Back to my question: What did you do, and what were your living arrangements like? I'd love your input.
My first career choice was photography. I worked at many of the photolabs in Athens while trying to pay for school and an apartment. I realized 3 years into a fine arts degree that a BFA was pretty much worthless, so I got a job working at one of the better known custom labs in Atlanta doing work for many of the commercial photographers and wedding photographers there. I don't usually like to make sweeping generalizations about people but photographers are very strange people... Very -shall we say- passionate? Also very competitive, causing some of them to be extremely paranoid, making for an extremely stressful work enviornment. I can't tell you the amount of tantrums I saw over seemingly nothing.
My biggest pet peeve was photographers for certain magazines/newspapers (supposedly "Pros") that would come in with such poorly exposed/composed work and expect us to perform a miracle for them. I got tired of dealing with these people. I felt I was spending more time perfecting other people's art instead of working on my own.
I decided to go back to school to persue my second career choice which is education. I started back to school part-time at a school in Atlanta, but my employer (a royal jerk) managed to get himself fined by the department of labor and I, being the only part time employee, was laid off due to budget cuts. I moved in with my grandmother for a bit and decided to transfer back to UGA as a full-time student.
One of the benefits of coming back to school as an older student is the financial aid is better. Once a person turns 25 (24?), they don't have their parent's income factored into the amount of aid needed, qualifing them for more grants and such. Colleges also love older students, as (supposedly) we're more mature, have more real world experience to contribute and are more apt to actually finish our degrees.
As for working a retail job and being able to live off of those wages, it really depends on what the standard of living is like in your town. I would say that here in Athens, it's possible because rent is relatively cheap at the moment, but times are changing. Atlanta, on the other hand, I'd say no way. Rent is astounding there.
Uh, I seemed to have gone on and on, did that help any?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:06 AM   #40
love, blood, life
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I'm a professor at the University of Rocking Out.

Seriously, you dont even know. YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW!!!!!
I was thinking of going back to school for my masters ... perhaps I could look into URO!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:36 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 03:13 PM
I'm in my second year at Queen's University in Belfast.
I'm doing a joint degree in French and Spanish.
I loved languages but I never knew so much work was involved in a degree. I feel a bit swamped most of the time. Also, there aren't a lot of people who do languages and most of them are very dull and anti-social and don't go out at all.
It does involve a year abroad next year though.

I want to teach at a college for young adults. I don't want to teach in a school
Old 11-19-2004, 06:41 PM   #42
Univ. of Cincinnati....and I've dragged my ass out of bed for classes after a late night concert, and I'm prepared to do more for U2. I'm really hoping that they come would save driving time, and allow me to camp out for GA if need be!!

Oh, yeah. And I'm switching my major to international affairs, I'm a first year student (but most likely a sophomore, AP is great) and I too, hate typical college kids. Last weekend, someone forgot to lock the dorm room door and a twat so drunk he was hiccuping stumbled into the room at 1am. The week before at 4:30 pm some idiot walks in smoking...right underneath the smoke detector.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:32 PM   #43
The Fly
Special Ed major at SUNY Buffalo...good stuff. Gonna be studying in Pittsburgh for the spring semester though. Gonna be good times drivin around from city to city on tour
Old 11-28-2004, 04:37 AM   #44
The Fly
Carnegie Mellon, grad school....the hope is that U2's tour dates in and around Pittsburgh will coincide with CMU's Spring Break, which would minimize damage to the grades
Old 11-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #45
War Child
Im at Oldham Sixth Form College- studying Alevels in Law, Psychology and English Dual. Im also re-sittin my Maths GCSE cos i did shit poor in it and hopefully should get a C this year! Im also doing keyskills, which we are all forced to do grrr!

I hope the U2 tour wount affect my studies, it probably will do though ooopps!