College-People Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
starsgoblue said:
I'd like to work in the music industry someday!

You should probably transfer to my university then. I guarantee you'd learn a thing or twenty.

Seriously, I'm even rocking out RIGHT NOW!

U2dork said:
I started at University of Georgia about 10 years ago and junior year, I decided to go out and work in "the real world". I'm glad I did because after 5 years, I realized I didn't want to be in that field for the rest of my life.

What did you do after leaving college, may I ask? I'm currently totally floundering in some dumpy community college because I've been clueless forever about what I want to do. Or, I should say that I do want to be a writer of sorts, but I don't want to get stuck with a "career" type of writing gig. My aspirations are more of novel/short story writing than anything, which you don't need four years of college to accomplish. I completely aced my journalism class last semester, and I'm sure I could make a fine career out of it, but my heart's not really there; journalism is much too unfriendly and cold a field.

I was thinking of dropping out for a while, to sample the real world. I'd like to see if working a basic job while concentrating on my writing would make me happy, because college sure is crushing my spirit. But I have no idea what I would do. I'd love to work full-time at a bookstore or something, except...can a person afford to live on a retail job alone? I'd of course make attempts to sell my writing as well, but that's hardly a steady form of income; it'd be pretty rare to get anything substantial, really.

I'd have no problem living in a trailer or something, unless a trailer is somehow more expensive than an apartment. I don't know...

Uh, anyway! Back to my question: What did you do, and what were your living arrangements like? I'd love your input.

Senior at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA, right outside Washington D.C. Majoring in psychology, but going right back for graduate school to study criminology.

u2popmofo said:
I'm a professor at the University of Rocking Out.

Seriously, you dont even know. YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW!!!!!

:lol:

mofo, what are you smoking? i thought you didn't do drugs...

senior at lebanon valley college - tiny liberal arts school in central pa. i'll be receiving a bachelor of music with a concentration in music recording technology in the spring...fingers crossed. :drool:

Homerpalooza said:

Uh, anyway! Back to my question: What did you do, and what were your living arrangements like? I'd love your input.

My first career choice was photography. I worked at many of the photolabs in Athens while trying to pay for school and an apartment. I realized 3 years into a fine arts degree that a BFA was pretty much worthless, so I got a job working at one of the better known custom labs in Atlanta doing work for many of the commercial photographers and wedding photographers there. I don't usually like to make sweeping generalizations about people but photographers are very strange people... Very -shall we say- passionate? Also very competitive, causing some of them to be extremely paranoid, making for an extremely stressful work enviornment. I can't tell you the amount of tantrums I saw over seemingly nothing.
My biggest pet peeve was photographers for certain magazines/newspapers (supposedly "Pros") that would come in with such poorly exposed/composed work and expect us to perform a miracle for them. I got tired of dealing with these people. I felt I was spending more time perfecting other people's art instead of working on my own.
I decided to go back to school to persue my second career choice which is education. I started back to school part-time at a school in Atlanta, but my employer (a royal jerk) managed to get himself fined by the department of labor and I, being the only part time employee, was laid off due to budget cuts. I moved in with my grandmother for a bit and decided to transfer back to UGA as a full-time student.
One of the benefits of coming back to school as an older student is the financial aid is better. Once a person turns 25 (24?), they don't have their parent's income factored into the amount of aid needed, qualifing them for more grants and such. Colleges also love older students, as (supposedly) we're more mature, have more real world experience to contribute and are more apt to actually finish our degrees.
As for working a retail job and being able to live off of those wages, it really depends on what the standard of living is like in your town. I would say that here in Athens, it's possible because rent is relatively cheap at the moment, but times are changing. Atlanta, on the other hand, I'd say no way. Rent is astounding there.
Uh, I seemed to have gone on and on, did that help any?

u2popmofo said:

I was thinking of going back to school for my masters ... perhaps I could look into URO!

I'm in my second year at Queen's University in Belfast.
I'm doing a joint degree in French and Spanish.
I loved languages but I never knew so much work was involved in a degree. I feel a bit swamped most of the time. Also, there aren't a lot of people who do languages and most of them are very dull and anti-social and don't go out at all. :der:
It does involve a year abroad next year though. :up:

I want to teach at a college for young adults. I don't want to teach in a school :down:

Univ. of Cincinnati....and I've dragged my ass out of bed for classes after a late night concert, and I'm prepared to do more for U2. I'm really hoping that they come here...it would save driving time, and allow me to camp out for GA if need be!!

Oh, yeah. And I'm switching my major to international affairs, I'm a first year student (but most likely a sophomore, AP is great) and I too, hate typical college kids. Last weekend, someone forgot to lock the dorm room door and a twat so drunk he was hiccuping stumbled into the room at 1am. The week before at 4:30 pm some idiot walks in smoking...right underneath the smoke detector.

Last edited:
Special Ed major at SUNY Buffalo...good stuff. Gonna be studying in Pittsburgh for the spring semester though. Gonna be good times drivin around from city to city on tour

Carnegie Mellon, grad school....the hope is that U2's tour dates in and around Pittsburgh will coincide with CMU's Spring Break, which would minimize damage to the grades :)

Im at Oldham Sixth Form College- studying Alevels in Law, Psychology and English Dual. Im also re-sittin my Maths GCSE cos i did shit poor in it and hopefully should get a C this year! Im also doing keyskills, which we are all forced to do grrr!

I hope the U2 tour wount affect my studies, it probably will do though ooopps! :ohmy:

junior, Calvin College (Michigan), age 20, studying business communications and information systems (useful computer stuff, not geeky programming), plan to move south (Florida) and go to vet tech school someday.

I don't think my grades will suffer b/c of U2. I'm going to Africa for a month in January and I made the decision that that was just too great of an opportunity to pass up and U2 concerts will take the back seat financially. I hope to see them in close cities (Chicago and Cleveland) and maybe over spring break if a) I can get down south and b) their touring co-incides with my road trip. I'm taking the minimum credits allowed to be a full-time student (anything less and I lose financial aid and scholarships). I've got one course (CAS 240, group communications/speech) that could cause problems if missed frequently (don't want to be screwing my classmates' grades) so I'll look into replacing it with something else.

Last edited:
I am at George Mason University in Northern Virginia. I am for lack of a better definition a Post-Baccalaureate student.

I am trying to get into med school so I am taking a bunch of science reqs I need to apply and take the MCAT. I may try and add a Bio degree while I am at it.

I graduated from University of Maryland in 1998 with a degree in Marketing and also spent one year at Washington State University before Maryland.

The spring will be a struggle I will go to some U2 shows, but seeing that I am now poor again, I do not know if I will get to as many as I want between school and the $$ situation. It will be hard for me to miss two many classes. I just hope they are not in my area when I am getting crushed with lab reports and exams or once summer session starts in the late spring.

I'm in law school at U of GA and know that I'll probably miss a day or two, what with camping out and maybe sleeping in the next day....I want to go to more than just the Atlanta show, but don't really know where that would be, and if I would have enough money, but I think I would sell my soul/body parts/whatever to get to a couple more shows, esp. if they are on my spring break

As you lot have probably guessed from my Alevels that im studying, i want to go to university and study a law degree and then hopefully fingers crossed become a solicitor or even better a barrister:wink:

spencr00 said:
Special Ed major at SUNY Buffalo...good stuff. Gonna be studying in Pittsburgh for the spring semester though. Gonna be good times drivin around from city to city on tour

nice to see another western new yorker floating around here :up:

lauren430 said:
I'm in law school at U of GA and know that I'll probably miss a day or two, what with camping out and maybe sleeping in the next day....I want to go to more than just the Atlanta show, but don't really know where that would be, and if I would have enough money, but I think I would sell my soul/body parts/whatever to get to a couple more shows, esp. if they are on my spring break

:up:

i'm a recovering professional student, feeling lost in the world after being in school for 21 years. i got my law degree last year. it was a lot of work, but i loved it. good luck!

u2popmofo said:

NICE.

:up:

Myself, I'm two years away from being Art Van de Lay.

i've been meaning to post in this thread soo here goes...

I'm a senior (as of yesterday after finishing my junior year) at Arizona State University in Tempe which is 15 min from Phoenix. Came here as a Computer Information Systems major but it wasn't for me so i switched to Grographic Info. Sys.. I am getting my BS in geography with a emphasis in GIS (Geographic Information Systems). Will graduate by May 2006 and might go for the masters GIS program which is another year.

I did an internship from June through October for a proffessor in which i helped plan the securiity detail for the last presidential debate on my own campus. I basically work with maps, databases, make maps, etc all with a computer for various agencies including FBI, CIA, Secret Service. etc. We also integrated these databases with palm pilots which had a global positioning device and floor plans loaded on the palms so the officers could know where they where on ASU's campus during the event. If they for some reason, needed to know the floor plan layout, number of wings or floors, etc; theey could click on the building of where they were at (physically) on these palm pilots and this information would pop up.

Past month i been working on the Maricopa County (where Phoenix metro area is) 911 system with a co-worker on improving a mapping database to include houses and buildings addresses and whether they are vacant or not because the fire dept has no idea when they get dispatched for some reason.

heres an article that the professor i worked for was interviewed for on the ASU Presidential debate...

ASU research plays role in securing presidential debate

Supported by ASU DPS and led by Talbot Brooks, an assistant research professional in geography, a team unveiled a new integrated Geographic Information System/Science System designed for public safety use. The system gives officers new tools, ranging from maps to crime-pattern analysis, that can be used instantly in the field.

If you want to read the entire article... go here... http://www.asu.edu/asunews/research/debate_securityrole_102604.htm

this is basically the type of work i do and i love doing it!

Last edited:
since this thread has been revived.....

I'm a senior at Northwestern University, which is right outside Chicago. I came in as a theatre major, added French and political science, but now I've dropped all 3 of those and I'm a European History major with a focus on Ireland. I'm writing my honors thesis on Sinn Fein (will not bore anyone with details) and I'll almost definitely be at Queens University in Belfast next year for an MA in Irish Studies, and hopefully I'll go on to get a phd. There's no decent book on Sinn Fein, so perhaps I'll literally write the book on it. :)

I'm also a huge college radio geek. http://www.wnur.org/

tennispunk said:
since this thread has been revived.....

I'm a senior at Northwestern University, which is right outside Chicago. I came in as a theatre major, added French and political science, but now I've dropped all 3 of those and I'm a European History major with a focus on Ireland. I'm writing my honors thesis on Sinn Fein (will not bore anyone with details) and I'll almost definitely be at Queens University in Belfast next year for an MA in Irish Studies, and hopefully I'll go on to get a phd. There's no decent book on Sinn Fein, so perhaps I'll literally write the book on it. :)

I'm also a huge college radio geek. http://www.wnur.org/

Are you going to qub for next years semester (Feb - May?). I leave Queen's next year (Sept) for a year abroad and will be back again in 2006 for another year of studying. Then I'm either going to do an MA or PGCE. :hmm:

I'm a senior at Academy of Art University .. the school is in San Francisco, and next semester is my last!. I will have a BFA in Film with a emphasis in editing.
I am burned out on school right now so I'm looking foward to graduating...and yes the U2 tour will hurt my grades.. and I will accept that! :wink:

I'd actually start in September '05....for awhile it looked like I'd be done this December, but I decided to write an honors thesis instead, so I'm not finished until I turn that in at the end of April.

Where are you studying abroad? And what would you be getting your MA in - French/Spanish?

Lara Mullen said:

Are you going to qub for next years semester (Feb - May?). I leave Queen's next year (Sept) for a year abroad and will be back again in 2006 for another year of studying. Then I'm either going to do an MA or PGCE. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom