College Hoops 2006-2007 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #271
Refugee

Local Time: 08:20 AM
I look at Durant as being a 3, and would do well immediately because he can shoot and doesn't have to rely on post game to score. I totally agree that he needs size (weight), but I think right now as he is, he scores 15-20 pts a game. As far as defense no one plays defense until the playoffs in the nba and his team won't be there for a year or two.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #272
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:20 AM
I kind of regret not playing as hard as I could today.

wow...did he really say this? Incredible. I hope he does the dunk contest for a bonus check as well!

Wonder why the NBA isn't the same?

Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #273
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?

Bring back Larry Legend.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #274
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

To be honest, the NBA has bored me ever since Jordan left the Bulls the second time. There are too few good characters left, and the ones who are (i.e., Tim Duncan) are extraordinarily boring. That's definitely an overstatement, but there are other things that irk me about the NBA, too... Today's NBA basketball has more to do with street ball than it does "true" basketball. Fouls, travels, carries, three second rules, etc., have all gone by the wayside in order to provide for "exciting" 130-point games. As an example of the fickle nature of the game, look at Shaq. When he was the league's showboat superstar, he would rarely ever be called for a foul. He pretty much invented the "it's okay to jump after you catch the ball, then jump up for a shot and not get called for a travel." But in recent years, as he's started to suck a little more and as new superstars have come up, he'll actually get called for something now and then. Even Bill Walton, who would previously give Shaq verbal blowjobs while calling a game, will now talk about Shaq's problems and deserved calls.

Guys coming out of high school right into the NBA? No one's ready for the NBA right out of high school. And if they are, then that doesn't say too much about the NBA!

I know these aren't not new arguments, but I think there are definitely problems with the NBA....
Old 03-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #275
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:20 AM
For whatever it's worth, the Durant comment came while he was at his locker, and he was obviously very down. He almost whispered his reply, and my friends down in Texas say the context of the comment was more like "I let my team down, wish I'd have played even harder" than "I gave a half assed effort, wish I didn't".
Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #276
Blue Crack Distributor

for what it's worth, the best basketball since the mid 90's is being played in the NBA right now... today. unfortunatly it's in the western conference and doesn't involve any of the so-called glamour teams... LA, Chicago, New York, Boston. The "oh i can't watch the NBA it sucks" thing that's been thrown about for a few years is really a bunch of BS now. There is GREAT basketball being played out west... it's just that the majority of the population of the United States never gets to see it.

If the Mavericks were the Knicks, the Suns were the Lakers, the Spurs were the Celtics and the Rockets were the Bulls? The media would be glowing about the "NBA Revival."
Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^I disagree. There are 2 teams who play any Defense.

There are about 3 teams that play a team game anymore.

One on one moves are glorified over ball movement.

The dunk is waaaaay more important than a jump shot. Or any fundamentals for that matter.

Leaving early to play in the NBA is no longer because of grades, but because of $$$.

And one overlooked item is the idea that there is NO showpiece centers anymore. You could argue all you want to me that Yao, Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire etc are dominant. But I think Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Zo(in the day), Shaq(still does on occasion), and even Deke would KILL these players. And mind you, there was on Hakeem who killed everyone I just listed.

The game has changed. And I don't think for the better. It seems that there are always a few teams each year who play great team basketball. Now, I'd pick Dallas, Phoenix, and Detroit. A few years ago it was Sacramento, Lakers, and Detroit. Before then, I could list Cleveland, Seattle, Knicks, Bulls, Portland, Phoenix, Detroit. Am I making sense here?

Maybe I'll agree with since the mid-90's. But still, I don't think the "stars" come close to even players like Ewing, Drexler, or Pippen. And the Hershey Hawkins, Mario Elie's, significant role players are a lost breed.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #278
Refugee

Quote:

But I think Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Zo(in the day), Shaq(still does on occasion), and even Deke would KILL these players. And mind you, there was on Hakeem who killed everyone I just listed.

Maybe I'll agree with since the mid-90's. But still, I don't think the "stars" come close to even players like Ewing, Drexler, or Pippen. And the Hershey Hawkins, Mario Elie's, significant role players are a lost breed.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but Yao is as good right now as Patrick Ewing was in at any point in his career. Yao is no Hakeem, but to say Ewing would kill him is ridiculous. For that matter to say Ewing would kill Amare is ludicrous. Very different players- Ewing would score in the post on Amare, and Amare would beat him down the floor every time. Even you are talking about pure post up center- you take Ewing, but try putting him into the Suns offense. Who's better in that situation.

As for the stars of today not close to Dexler Pippen:

I'll take watching what Nash does night in and night out over over Drexler any day.

I prefer Dirk's game over watching Pippen (esp Pippen minus Jordan). How many seven footers have there been that can do what he does? (0)

It's a different game, i don't like the erosion of fundamentals at all, but the best players now are every bit as good as the best players 20 years ago. The best shooters today are as good as the best shooters 20 years ago.

Hersey Hawkins = Peja Stojakovic
Mario Elie= Jason Kapono
Old 03-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by jphelmet

I'll take watching what Nash does night in and night out over over Drexler any day.
Excellent point.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

My bracket spontaneously combusted after this weekend.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #281
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm 45th out of 50 in my office pool, but would still win if all my final four teams get there 'cause i'm the only schmuck with southern illinois... yahtzee
Old 03-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #282
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Texas A&M is keeping me alive in one of my pools, otherwise, I'm pretty screwed.

I wonder how Mario Elie would feel about being compared to Jason Kapono. Probably not too good. Elie played defense.

Agreed on the Steve Nash thing. I like watching the Suns more than any NBA team since Jordan's Bulls. I like watching the Mavs and Spurs, too. The rest is hard for me to watch, and I try. Saddens me that watching a Cavs game is boring to me, since LeBron is so talented. But, watching his crap teammates, especially the clueless Larry Hughes makes it difficult to enjoy.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #283
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

I wonder how Mario Elie would feel about being compared to Jason Kapono. Probably not too good. Elie played defense.

Best I could think of off the top of my head. Kapono is a stand in the corner and shoot guy. Mario Elie pretty much the same offensively. I don't really remember Mario elie coevering anyone all the great back in the title runs of the rockets.

If we are talking role players- how about Bruce Bowen against Mario Elie. Bowen probably wouldn't like being compared to Elie as a defensive player.

Kapono shooter > Elie Shooter
Elie Defense > Kapono Defense
Bowen Defense > Elie and Kapono
Kapono 3's > Elie 3's > Bowen 3's
Old 03-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #284
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Here, put it this way and I'll agree with you. Bruce Bowen is one in a dying breed. Trenton Hassell is another.

There, now I'm happy. Kapono is nothing better than a taller Steve Kerr.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Hewson tip of the sweet 16;
Southern Cal +8.5 vs UNC.