College Football: Mid-Season Report - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2002, 11:08 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DiGi
lets talk about WSU - Never any respect! The Cougs are a damn good team this year. With one Loss to OSU - in which they played terrible. Jasson Gesser is awesome. If they end up in a rematch against OSU in the Rose Bowl - WSU will win. If one of the other top teams falter down the stretch (i would love to see VT beat / depants Miami - wishfull thinking) I would look for WSU in the Fiesta Bowl. They have 2 games left (at home vs. Washingotn in the apple cup and at UCLA - which ABC asked them to move from this weekend to dec 7 so they could carry it). UW game could be interesting because that is like a season to itself, but they will win. WSU will win their final 2 games. Wazzu will finish with 1 loss to a good OSU team and still no love. end of rant.
Well, DiGi, Wazzu definitely has the inside track to Pasadena, although USC really wants to make that trip from the 'hood up to the beautiful suburb north of town. Fortunately for you, you have beaten the trojans, giving them their only conference loss, and they still face a very good Notre Dame team. A re-match with Ohio State gives you a shot at redemption, about as close as you can come to making your season "perfect" despite a loss.

Wazzu has defintely emerged as the Pac 10 dark horse; everyone put their wagers on Oregon and/or USC, both of whom you have liekly rendered irrelevant. Best of luck to you.

An interesting note on your Dec. 7 UCLA game (it seems that many conferences without "chapionship games" aretrying to schedule big games on Championship Saturday - Big East has Miami/Va. Tech): : since you moved that game to late season , your team opted out of a scheduled trip to Hawaii but had to find a replacement to send to the islands. Well, it couldn't have happened at a better time: my Alabama Crimson Tide is on a post-season ban this year, so your AD called our AD to offer us the trip, giving our players something to look forward to on Thanksgiving weekend. It has gone over so well among Alabama fans (we travel very well) that the school has scheduled another game at the Rainbow Warriors' homefield next year, our final "banned" year.

~U2Alabama

Old 11-13-2002, 11:53 PM   #32
Kid A

Local Time: 03:29 PM

Pitt will beat Miami. And I do mean beat them.

Old 11-14-2002, 12:05 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Beat them like a drum?

Or beat them like they LIKE it?
Old 11-14-2002, 12:24 AM   #34
Kid A

beat them, physically take it to them

that's what Pitt is all about, if Miami comes at them with their "let's just hang around and turn it on at the very end" mentality, it's a lock, the only thing that worries me is Pitt doesn't have a great offense and they struggle to put games away so Miami may still be in the game even if they're getting man-handled
Old 11-14-2002, 08:35 AM   #35
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:29 PM
wanderer I hope you are right. The only team I hate more than Miami football is Duke basketball.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:41 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by DiGi
lets talk about WSU - Never any respect! The Cougs are a damn good team this year. With one Loss to OSU - in which they played terrible. Jasson Gesser is awesome. If they end up in a rematch against OSU in the Rose Bowl - WSU will win. If one of the other top teams falter down the stretch (i would love to see VT beat / depants Miami - wishfull thinking) I would look for WSU in the Fiesta Bowl. They have 2 games left (at home vs. Washingotn in the apple cup and at UCLA - which ABC asked them to move from this weekend to dec 7 so they could carry it). UW game could be interesting because that is like a season to itself, but they will win. WSU will win their final 2 games. Wazzu will finish with 1 loss to a good OSU team and still no love. end of rant.
Well thats the whole point. The best team they played, waxed them. If they had even been competitive in that game you might have a point. I'am a Michigan fan and that is like me saying if U of M didnt turn the ball over 8 times in the Notre Dame game they would only have one loss and be in BCS contention. They would have won that game if they had even played mediocre but they didnt. Teams that play for the national title find a way to win those games when the are playing poorly. They dont get their butts kicked.

I REALLY wish Iowa and OSU played this year. What a great game that would be. My hats off to the Hawkeyes, great team, they physically kicked Michigans butt at home. Being a die hard Michigan fan I can honestly say Michigan are still overrated right now. They have a "decent" team. But they are not top 10. I'am sure though if the Buckeyes are undefeated when they play Michigan they will be just a tad nervous. Which is good for Michigan. I just want Michigan to actually win whatever bowl game they go to rather than be embarrassed like last year and end the season on a bad note.

Look out for the Wolverines next year though. Most of our starters are back. They SHOULD be good.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:14 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

But will you beat the Buckeyes in the Big House this year?
Old 11-15-2002, 10:08 AM   #38
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

Well thats the whole point. The best team they played, waxed them. If they had even been competitive in that game you might have a point.

I would not call it a waxing. I am also not saying they played well enough that day to beat OSU - they did not - otherwise they would be undefeated. The cougs have wins over good teams. They are playing very well right now and I just think that people in the majority of the country see that.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:15 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
But will you beat the Buckeyes in the Big House this year?
No, we wont. Why? Because the game is at Ohio Stadium! LOL

As I said, OSU has the better team than Michigan. But given the history of Michigan knocking them off whenever OSU has a great year I think they will be nervous going into that game. Which bodes well for Michigan. Doesnt mean Michigan wins, but it helps them. I'am a bit concerned about tomorrows game versus the Badgers actually. I can see Michigan looking ahead to OSU. Wisconsin will give them a game, I guarantee it.

And I certainly am not saying WSU doesnt have a good team. I wouldnt want to play them in Pullman. I just dont think they are national title contenders this year.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:27 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

No, we wont. Why? Because the game is at Ohio Stadium! LOL
Why do I keep thinking it is in Ann Arbor this year? Wannabe has already corrected me on this once. Either way, that game can always surprise us.

~U2Alabama
Old 11-16-2002, 05:49 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, Iowa beat Minnesota today so they finish unbeaten in the Big 10 and will at least have a share of the conference championship. I never thought I would see that happen again in my lifetime! And Illinois is hanging in there against OSU.

I haven't watched OSU much this year. They didn't look good last week when I checked in on them during commercials during the Iowa-Northwestern game, but early in today's game their defense looked positively terrifying. They are looking a bit more mortal at the moment though...
Old 11-16-2002, 09:11 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

OSU is very one dimensional on offense. Their defense is what is winning them games. Thats why I think a team like Miami who can and will score on them could beat them, possibly badly.

Some very questionable calls by the officials in the Illinois game today. Illinois scored twice and the refs didnt give it to them. Very poor, and kind of fishy IMO. Big Ten officials have been complete crap this year. I dont get it.

But we will see, I doubdt my Wolverines will beat OSU next week. But you never know. Michigan looked aweful today so maybe they are due for a decent performance.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:09 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Some very questionable calls by the officials in the Illinois game today. Illinois scored twice and the refs didnt give it to them. Very poor, and kind of fishy IMO. Big Ten officials have been complete crap this year. I dont get it.
No offense to any OSU fans here, but in overtime, Beutjer's pass to Walter Young on third down he was in bounds catching it and should have been awarded a TD, bringing up an extra point and 2nd overtime. I have seen all the replays as well and I think that he did have control of the ball, as opposed to the claim that he was "bobbling" it.

This is yet more evidence that Joe Paterno is right in his assessment of Big 10 officials, and I agree with his front door decoration:

I don't know who's officials are worse: the SEC or Big 10.

It's a shame that OSU & Iowa can't face off on the field, as it is that we (Bama) can't have a re-match with Georgia in the SEC Championship Game, but we must serve our sentence.

~U2Alabama
Old 11-17-2002, 12:54 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

No offense to any OSU fans here, but in overtime, Beutjer's pass to Walter Young on third down he was in bounds catching it and should have been awarded a TD, bringing up an extra point and 2nd overtime. I have seen all the replays as well and I think that he did have control of the ball, as opposed to the claim that he was "bobbling" it.
So what is the precise NCAA rule on establishing possession?

IIRC, Walter Young had a grasp on the football for about 1/2 second while he had his foot down inbounds, but then he started falling over, lost the ball, and hit the ground.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:23 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

So what is the precise NCAA rule on establishing possession?

speedracer:

I am not sure of the exact rule on ball control on and endzone pass, then falling out of bounds. Particularly, there have been inconsistencies on such calls. The SEC refs awarded Vanderbilt a TD last year against Auburn when the ball bounced off of the Vandy receiver's hands in the endzone as he dove out of bounds. Needless to say, I watched last night's play live and saw it replayed and slowed for closer review several times, and each time it looked like a completed pass.

On another note, it looks like the Penn students had trouble tearing down the goal post after beating Harvard yesterday.

~U2Alabama