College Football 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The First Harris Poll of the year is in...

Harris Interactive
1. USC (91)
2. LSU (19)
3. Oklahoma (1)
4. Florida (3)
5. West Virginia
6. California
7. Ohio State
8. Texas
9. Wisconsin
10. Oregon
11. Boston College
12. Rutgers
13. Clemson
14. Kentucky
15. Georgia
16. Virginia Tech
17. South Carolina
18. Hawaii
19. Penn State
20. South Florida
21. Missouri
22. Alabama
23. Arizona State
24. Nebraska
25. Michigan State
View complete poll

Sun Sep 23, 2007

So I decided this weekend that this year I'm going to start following college football for the first time. Thing is, I don't have a team, having never paid attention (or really understood) to US college ball before.

Over the first four weeks I've been watching a bit of ball, trying to see which teams I like and which teams I can't picture myself rooting for, but I know I need to settle on one. So, I need your guys' help. Help me pick a team. Here's some teams that I like so far after the first few weeks:

- USC: absolutely electric, exciting with and without the ball, but seems like kind of a bandwagon choice to me at this point
- Arizona State: I had NCAA Football '08 for a few weeks this summer (better than Madden, btw), and ASU was the team I played with.
- Texas: the first college ball game I ever watched and paid attention to was the 2006 Rose Bowl (USC-Texas). Another exciting team to watch, but their fans are a little bit insane.

There are a couple other teams that I refuse to cheer for, but I won't mention them unless someone suggests one of those teams. Any other nominations? Or should I go with one of the teams on my list?

:hmm:

Notre Dame. It takes balls to root for an underdog.

[ducking rotten fruit]

I'd be like every other Philadelphia fan and be one of two things:

1) A fan of your alma mater.
2) A Penn State fan.

Choose one of the two.

phillyfan26 said:
1) A fan of your alma mater.

My school doesn't have a football team, and they'd be playing in a 5-team league against the other Atlantic Canada teams, so it wouldn't count anyways...

BAW, what do you mean by I'm "not an SC kinda guy"? :confused:

I don't really like/have seen any SEC teams, and I'm sure as hell not rooting for Notre Dame.

DaveC said:

My school doesn't have a football team, and they'd be playing in a 5-team league against the other Atlantic Canada teams, so it wouldn't count anyways...

BAW, what do you mean by I'm "not an SC kinda guy"? :confused:

I don't really like/have seen any SEC teams, and I'm sure as hell not rooting for Notre Dame.
Did you not see the :lol: ?????

Generally means, "I think its funny and that I'm screwing with you!" Believe me, you are an SC kind of guy!!

But please don't jump on the bandwagon yet, last night I actually dreamt the final score was CAL - 10 SC - 0

Mr. BAW said:
Did you not see the :lol: ?????

Generally means, "I think its funny and that I'm screwing with you!" Believe me, you are an SC kind of guy!!

But please don't jump on the bandwagon yet, last night I actually dreamt the final score was CAL - 10 SC - 0

:up:

You just jinxed Cal!

Did Iowa do a deal with the devil or something?

2002-2004 3 straight top 10 finishes, program appears to be on the rise....get a top 10 recruiting class......then

Iowa can't catch a break. Losing to ISU more times than not, losing to Northwestern, Indiana, and now Wisconsin (another team Iowa owned the past 5 years).

Tough to be a Hawkeye in the Hawkeye State. At least we have corn right?

It all comes down to active recruiting; I know that SC recruits prospective players by the time they're in their Soph. and Jr. in high school...I would suspect that most all major colleges have an idea how their 2009/2010 teams are going to look...The Hawkeye coaches need get off their asses and get it going!

Maybe a bad memory for you but I remember Carson Palmer doing in the Iowa defense in Miami a few years back...I think Iowa's slipped since...good luck.

Mr. BAW said:
It all comes down to active recruiting; I know that SC recruits prospective players by the time they're in their Soph. and Jr. in high school...I would suspect that most all major colleges have an idea how their 2009/2010 teams are going to look...The Hawkeye coaches need get off their asses and get it going!

Maybe a bad memory for you but I remember Carson Palmer doing in the Iowa defense in Miami a few years back...I think Iowa's slipped since...good luck.

Oh, I'm sure Ferentz at Iowa is working his ass off to get recruits. I'm sure its not easy to convince a kid to go to Iowa unless he is from there. He has done a pretty good job having really good teams with limited talent and landing some good players also. Just having a down year, thats all. (I can relate as a Michigan fan this year! :lol: )

SC can "sell" ;) the beach, LA, Hollywood, etc. plus the name. Makes it alot easier to recruit. My team Michigan recruits mainly with facilities (IE the stadium), reputation (which is slightly damaged at the moment) and name. Not alot of kids outside of Michigan are super excited to move to Ann Arbor over sunny Florida or California. Its a definate recruiting advantage.

BEAL said:
Did Iowa do a deal with the devil or something?

2002-2004 3 straight top 10 finishes, program appears to be on the rise....get a top 10 recruiting class......then

Iowa can't catch a break. Losing to ISU more times than not, losing to Northwestern, Indiana, and now Wisconsin (another team Iowa owned the past 5 years).

Tough to be a Hawkeye in the Hawkeye State. At least we have corn right?

Iowa has always underachieved. With players like Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Chad Greenway and others being drafted in the first few rounds of the draft they should be a constant powerhouse. They just don’t show up sometimes and it has killed them these last two seasons. That falls on the coaching staff. You need to be able to be a consistence scoring team to be successful in college. They haven’t been that in a few years. It isn’t simply a matter of talent. So I think a coaching change might be beneficial. A great motivator could make this a top ten team within a year or two. Greg Schiano (spelling?) from Rutgers would be the type of coach that could be successful here.

I don't know if it's new coaches, or just coaching schemes that need to change at Iowa.

These are the same coaches HC, DC, and OC that have been around since the beginning. So it's not like they just forgot to coach.

It just seems that the past few years it's been so conservative with the play calling that it's really kind of hurt the overall play. Also, there have been a ton of misses with some of the 2002-2004 recuriting classes. The much heralded class of 2005 is just now starting to see the field, and personally I think Iowa has more talent on their team than the 2002-2004 teams (which had Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Greenway, Hodge, etc).

It's getting these young players up to speed.

One theory that has gone around is that Ferentz and Company were very good in developing those "diamond in the rough" prospects. Guys like Sanders and Clark had chips on their shoulders. The highly regarded recruits don't quite have it, and maybe they're not buying into the coaching. Hard to say.

There has been a change this year in the team, so far (minus the ISU game) Iowa has shown up to play hard. Injuries and inexperience is killing them right now. I won't take that excuse for long though. Eventually you have to make plays.

Iowa is a tough sell for any recruit. We usually have around 4-7 Div 1 players a year in football. We don't have the prestige of a Nebraska, OSU, and Michigan.

Ferentz does things the right way around here, and I'll take him as my coach for many years. I do want him to shake things up a little bit.

Sucks, but I'm already thinking of next year. Iowa will have a seasoned QB, OL, WR, K, and Defense with still no Michigan or OSU on the schedule. Wisconsin, Purdue and ISU all visit Kinnick.

If there's ever a year to run the table, next year is it.

DaveC said:

Penn State it is, then. Welcome.

I'm going to the FSU/Bama game in Jacksonville tomorrow. That's going to be intense.

kellyahern said:

Have fun :wave:.

Thanks, hopefully it turns out to be a real game. :D

Plus, my dad's hatred for Nick Saban is well-documented (he's a die-hard Dolphins fan).

I wouldn't be all that surprised if USF runs the table. Their toughest test looks like @Rutgers (though I'm hoping for a UConn upset).

Back
Top Bottom