College Football 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I guess tOSU shouldn't even show up for the game. Maybe USC(sorry Mr. BAW) with their loss to Stanford is more deserving? Or Georgia with their loss to the Gamecocks? Or Oklahoma? They only lost to Texas Tech and Colorado. How about West Virginia? They did lose to Pitt but it was a rivalry game. These teams all lost to...currently unranked teams! Va Tech did lose to two ranked teams albeit they did lose to LSU by only 41 points.

LSU OOC schedule: Va Tech, Mid Tenn State, Tulane and LA Tech.

Va Tech: LSU, East Carolina, Ohio U and William and Mary.

Oklahoma: N. Texas, Miami, Fl, Utah State, Tulsa

Georgia: West Carolina, Troy and Oklahoma State

USC: Idaho, Nebraska and Notre Dame

Arizona State: San Jose State, Colorado and San Diego State

Oh well, tOSU couldn't help that Washington wasn't very good this year when they scheduled them years ago. Just like they didn't know how Texas would be the last two years or how USC will be the next two years or Miami, Fl after that. As far as the Big Ten is concerned, tOSU doesn't have any control there either. It's the conference and the hand they're dealt. They're not flashy, they don't run up the score, they're coached by a guy who wears a sweater vest and is called the Senator. But in the end, they win their games (insert Herman Edwards audio here "You play to win the game!").

So, tOSU will be heavy underdogs against LSU in the title game, which is for all intensive purposes a home game for the Tigers, and give it their best shot. Could they get blown out? Sure they could (see 2007 title game). Could they win? Sure the could (see 2002 title game).

Nevertheless, this will be tOSU third title game in six years. Win or lose don't think tOSU is going anywhere. With the possibility of bringing back 21 of 24 starters, tOSU will most likely be next year's preseason number 1 and favored for a return trip to the MNC game.

Finally, good luck to everyone's teams as we head into bowl season in what has to be the craziest college football season ever!

Last edited:
I think one possible solution to this BCS mess is to have all BCS conferences play a championship game so a team can't sit idle for 2 weeks and move up because others are playing in matchups against top competition and knocking one another off.

If the Big 10 had a conference title game and tOSU had to beat Illinois on a neutral field this past Saturday to claim the Big 10 title, then there'd be less outcry at them being where they are.

Same thing for the Pac 10 and Big East.
The SEC, ACC and Big 12 are actually damaging their team's chances at the title game by playing a championship game (Mizzou would be playing for the title if they had no game this past weekend).

At least that would level the field a bit.

Sitting idle almost got Michigan a title game against tOSU last year until voters jumped Florida over them.

Hewson said:
I think one possible solution to this BCS mess is to have all BCS conferences play a championship game so a team can't sit idle for 2 weeks and move up because others are playing in matchups against top competition and knocking one another off.

If the Big 10 had a conference title game and tOSU had to beat Illinois on a neutral field this past Saturday to claim the Big 10 title, then there'd be less outcry at them being where they are.

Same thing for the Pac 10 and Big East.
The SEC, ACC and Big 12 are actually damaging their team's chances at the title game by playing a championship game (Mizzou would be playing for the title if they had no game this past weekend).

At least that would level the field a bit.

Sitting idle almost got Michigan a title game against tOSU last year until voters jumped Florida over them.

Totally agree that this would help.

The SEC, ACC and Big 12 conferences do put their school's national championship game chances in jeopardy because they are blinded by the dollars they get from conference championship games.

I would have loved if tOSU had another shot at the Fighting Zookers in the Big 10(11) title game.

The BCS is and has always been a mess and this year showed it more than ever!

Let's go back and see where they came from or where they went - 2007 Week #1

*Re: SC's schedule, the only preseason cupcake was Idaho; the preseason ranking had Nebraska at #20 and by game day Nebraska was #16...Notre Dame is always scheduled and Stanford was just one of those flukes that by all accounts everyone should have beaten...other than that, the Pac-10 had some major competition until injuries set in across the board...there was one time this season when 4 Pac-10 teams were at least within the top 15.. SC, CA, ASU and Oregon...

AP Top 25 Ranking
Rank Team Record Pts Last Week
1. USC (62)
2. LSU (2)
3. West Virginia (1)
4. Texas
5. Michigan
6. Florida
7. Wisconsin
8. Oklahoma
9. Virginia Tech
10. Louisville
11. Ohio State
12. California
13. Georgia
14. UCLA
15. Tennessee
16. Rutgers
17. Penn State
18. Auburn
19. Florida State
20. Nebraska
21. Arkansas
22. TCU
23. Hawaii
24. Boise State
25. Texas A&M

Others Receiving Votes:
Missouri 128, Georgia Tech 94, Boston College 75, Oregon 73, South Carolina 69, Miami (FL) 68, Alabama 66, Oregon State 42, Wake Forest 40, South Florida 28, Arizona State 17, Brigham Young 14, Southern Miss 12, Notre Dame 11, Virginia 7, Clemson 6, Oklahoma State 3, Texas Tech 2, Purdue 1, Houston 1, North Carolina State 1, Kentucky 1

OK I know absolutely no one but me cares, but how does a 9-3 record and sharing a BCS conference title get you no better than...Wake Forest in the Meineke Car Care Bowl? Yeah I know why...UConn hardly has the tradition that pretty much any SEC, Pac-10, or Big 10 school has. But still, a decent bowl was deserved.

And yeah, Mizzou got screwed. But don't blame the BCS (they weren't playing in the title game either way), blame the pompous arrogance of The Rose Bowl Game (kudos to them for not selling out and becoming the Walmart Rose Bowl or whatever) and their refusal to look beyond the Big 10 (more like the Small 11 this year). They should have taken Missouri, who beat Illinois. I don't love the BCS by any means, but this is on the Rose Bowl brass, not the BCS.

I don't have any proof of that, but from what I've read, you may be on the right line...the Rose Bowl officials wanted to maintain their long line of Pac-10 vs. Big 10 matchups...

Or wait, maybe they were trying to give the Illini another chance at SC....in 1996, it was
SC 55 - Illini 3...

By the way, the opening spread is SC by 14 but don't be fooled, SC rarely covered the spread in a number of their games...

Mr. BAW said:
I don't have any proof of that, but from what I've read, you may be on the right line...the Rose Bowl officials wanted to maintain their long line of Pac-10 vs. Big 10 matchups...

who are they kidding? 5 years isn't that long of a long-line. they let dorsey & co play in 2002.

Last edited:
unico said:

who are they kidding? 5 years isn't that long of a long-line. they let dorsey & co play in 2002.

The Rose Bowl was the national champsionship game that year though just like two years ago when it was USC v. Texas.

I think it's good that the Rose Bowl try to stick to tradition given the lack of it that exists everywhere else.

If the spread changes between now and the game, do you get the spread at the time you placed the bet, or the spread at the time the game starts?

Sounds like the Michigan job is between two people right now:

Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) and Les Miles (LSU). A lot of you may laugh at KF name being mentioned, but he was very well regarded by Bo, and Lloyd Carr. Right now the Bo Crew (Carr, UM President, and other admins) want KF for the job. Pretty much every former player and fan base wants Miles.

What I have heard is that it's KF job to turn down, and he has about 48 hours to do so. If he says no (which I think he will), then it will be a full court press for Miles.

I don't believe Miles has signed any contract with LSU. They've agreed on terms, but that's it.

Les Miles will be the next coach at tsun. He had to say what he did before LSU's conference championship game for his team's benefit.

He may love LSU but his heart is with Bo and his alma mater.

I believe you're correct. There's just a big power struggle between old and new right now at Michigan.

KF is a decent coach, and he's done some great things at Iowa, but he'd be crazy to think he can get away with what he's been doing the past couple of years.

Softball questions from the media. If a hard question is asked, then it's a complete lock down on all things Iowa football.

Multiple arrests every year (I think 14-15 arrests just this season).

Failure to adapt to college football, i.e. spread offenses, faster defenses, etc (said could be said about Carr).

KF is feeling a bit of pressure this year from the fans for having a 6-6 record against one of the easiest schedules around. How is he going to feel at Michigan if he can manage to produce what Carr did? He's able to get away with 6-6 at Iowa because it's Iowa. No way can he do less than 9 wins at Michigan and not feel the heat immediately.

Who else is beginning to think that the new head coach at Michigan will be ... Lloyd Carr?

Ugh. This is driving me crazy.

I'm also tired of reading opinion pieces by fans of other schools saying that this proves that Michigan is no longer a power in college football. Their argument is that if Michigan were a powerhouse then they would have their pick of the litter. Wrong. People need to understand that in today's college football world the only REAL powerhouse is "money".

If Michigan were willing to pay their coaches like other big programs, they would have whoever they want. They won't so they don't. Its pretty simple.

Somebody at Michigan please take a wheelbarrow full of cash and deposit it on Steve Spurrier's lawn.

speedracer said:
Somebody at Michigan please take a wheelbarrow full of cash and deposit it on Steve Spurrier's lawn.

Can't play golf year round in Ann Arbor.

randhail said:
I think Bo would turn over in his grave if Spurrier ever took the program over.

I think its time to lay Bo to rest. We've already done it physically, now its time to do it figuratively.

Or ... I don't give a flying fook who Bo would have wanted in the job. Its a completely different game than when Bo was around.

There. I said it.

Dalton said:

I think its time to lay Bo to rest. We've already done it physically, now its time to do it figuratively.

Or ... I don't give a flying fook who Bo would have wanted in the job. Its a completely different game than when Bo was around.

There. I said it.

I don't think when people talk about "who Bo would have wanted" means that the person would have to coach like Bo but rather who Bo would have thought to have the passion and love about the University of Michigan to lead their football program.

Remember, it doesn't have to be a "name." A few years ago many people thought that tOSU would hire someone named Gruden, Stoops, Mason or Belotti When they didn't/couldn't, tOSU ended up choosing a Div 1 AA guy named Tressel. It wasn't a bad choice.

Finally, Dalton, who gives a flying shite if people are saying that Michigan is no longer a power. Sure, they haven't been what they were but Michigan, with the right hire, will be a force for years to come. With that said, I hate Michigan more than any other team that plays sports.

Good luck to the tsun against the Gators.

Yet anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Michigan football program knows that Bo's influence reaches farther than passion and love for the University.

Did I say that I cared that people were disrespecting Michigan? My point was simply that MONEY is the new powerhouse of college football.

Note the period at the end of this post.

"I love bein' a Gator, I love Gator Nation" x3

"I just wanna thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for givin' me the ability to play football" x3 plus an "I wanna thank God"

The kid sounds like he either drank 18 cups of coffee or had an amphetamine IV hooked up backstage. :blahblah::ohmy:

DaveC said:
"I love bein' a Gator, I love Gator Nation" x3

"I just wanna thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for givin' me the ability to play football" x3 plus an "I wanna thank God"

The kid sounds like he either drank 18 cups of coffee or had an amphetamine IV hooked up backstage. :blahblah::ohmy:

If that wasn't a perfect time for "WHERE IS YOUR GOD, NOW?" then I don't know what is.

Back
Top Bottom