College Football 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what I'm happier about, that Penn State is winning by a landslide, or that Michigan is getting embarrassed :wink:

My US History teacher / Appalacian State grad will be pretty happy today. :lol:

Dalton said:
God I hope this means I won't have to be watching a Lloyd Carr 'coached' football team much longer!

Granted an inflatable doll could recruit and coach its way to 9-10 wins a season at Michigan just like Carr does (and that could still happen this year since the Big Ten is awful), but I really don't think Carr's ever going to get fired. The athletic department at Michigan is way too conservative. Carr's a "Michigan man" through and through, and his players get into a little less trouble and graduate at a slightly higher rate than players at most other schools, and that seems to be good enough for Michigan right now.

I just got back from the game having caught a Limas Sweed glove as he exited the field.

Man, we weren't very impressive tonight. If the boys keep that kind of play up, TCU is going to beat that ass next week.

speedracer said:

Granted an inflatable doll could recruit and coach its way to 9-10 wins a season at Michigan just like Carr does (and that could still happen this year since the Big Ten is awful), but I really don't think Carr's ever going to get fired. The athletic department at Michigan is way too conservative. Carr's a "Michigan man" through and through, and his players get into a little less trouble and graduate at a slightly higher rate than players at most other schools, and that seems to be good enough for Michigan right now.

You are right on most of this. However, Lloyd has been hinting at retirement after this year. If this season goes as poorly as it appears its going to after yesterday, he may leave. There is no excuse for yesterday. Carr didnt have his team ready to play and paid the price. Its inexcusable and I think its a sign its time for him to go and get some new blood at Michigan.

Going to be a long season for me! ;) I will revise my prediction to 7-5 or maybe even a losingy year. :yikes: I guess maybe Michigan can play the spoiler role this year. Not sure how though when their defense cannot stop anyone.

lloyd carr shouldn't have made it to the parking lot without recieving his pink slip

secondly, yesterday's events only proves further why college football is a joke. teams should not get ranked until at least october, and god damn, get a playoff system.

at least 1aa or whatever the hell it's called now has it right.

Dalton said:
I dare someone to find a game in which Lloyd Carr has 'out schemed' the opposing coach.

1998 Rose Bowl, Michigan vs. Washington State.

All the Ohio State games when John Cooper was still coaching.

Possibly last year's Notre Dame game.

That's about it.

speedracer said:

1998 Rose Bowl, Michigan vs. Washington State.

All the Ohio State games when John Cooper was still coaching.

Possibly last year's Notre Dame game.

That's about it.

1. Not really, Michigan almost blew that game and they were the much better team.

2. Lloyd didnt outcoach Cooper. Cooper was just worse at a game plan than Lloyd. He would always tighten up against Michigan also. Like Lloyd does to Tressel now.

3. Maybe, defense was the reason they won that game. Alot of pressure on Quinn. I guess we can give some credit for that to coaching. But they had an outstanding defensive line and outside linebacker core last year. So it was more raw talent that just won out over Lloyds game plan IMO.

What is very telling to me is what the USC players said last year after the Rose Bowl. Basically that they knew exactly what Michigan was going to throw at them. When you are playing someone that has as much and probably more talent than you. Overpowering them isnt going to work. You have to come up with a sound strategy. Something Lloyd and his assistants (in particular Deboerd the offensive coordinator) are incapable of . There is a ton of talent at Michigan. It always makes me wonder what a great x and o's coach would do with them. Hopefully us Michigan fans will find out someday.

They deserve to be the object ridicule this week/season. It stinks being a Michigan fan but they have been up for so long I guess we are due. I'm not a fairweather fan though and I'm not jumping ship and never will. I will still be at every home game this year. Could be grueling! :lol: The bad part is if they beat some of the teams on their schedule, how bad does that make those teams look? I wouldnt be shocked, there is enough talent there to overcome the coaching defeciancies against some opponents at least.

Rant over. :lol:

Blue Room said:

1. Not really, Michigan almost blew that game and they were the much better team.

2. Lloyd didnt outcoach Cooper. Cooper was just worse at a game plan than Lloyd. He would always tighten up against Michigan also. Like Lloyd does to Tressel now.

3. Maybe, defense was the reason they won that game. Alot of pressure on Quinn. I guess we can give some credit for that to coaching. But they had an outstanding defensive line and outside linebacker core last year. So it was more raw talent that just won out over Lloyds game plan IMO.

What is very telling to me is what the USC players said last year after the Rose Bowl. Basically that they knew exactly what Michigan was going to throw at them. When you are playing someone that has as much and probably more talent than you. Overpowering them isnt going to work. You have to come up with a sound strategy. Something Lloyd and his assistants (in particular Deboerd the offensive coordinator) are incapable of . There is a ton of talent at Michigan. It always makes me wonder what a great x and o's coach would do with them. Hopefully us Michigan fans will find out someday.

They deserve to be the object ridicule this week/season. It stinks being a Michigan fan but they have been up for so long I guess we are due. I'm not a fairweather fan though and I'm not jumping ship and never will. I will still be at every home game this year. Could be grueling! :lol: The bad part is if they beat some of the teams on their schedule, how bad does that make those teams look? I wouldnt be shocked, there is enough talent there to overcome the coaching defeciancies against some opponents at least.

Rant over. :lol:

Points 2 and 3, whatev, doesn't sound like there's really that much of a disagreement.

Point 1 I vehemently disagree with, though. After everyone all year had been calling Brian Griese a quarterback who "doesn't make mistakes", "manages the game well," etc. (i.e. a quarterback who sucks), Michigan torched WSU deep three times and pulled off an important trick play with Charles Woodson on the last drive. Meanwhile, the D held Ryan Leaf and an offense that had averaged over 40 points per game to 16 points. (Remember that at the time people were legitimately debating whether he or Peyton Manning should be the #1 pick in the draft).

Also, if one official hadn't had a 30-second brain aneurysm and had correctly called a blatant pass interference on a WSU 50-yard pass on their last drive, WSU would not have had a chance to win. (If you look at the video the WSU receiver shoves Charles Woodson in the back, catches the pass and fakes an injury to stop the clock. Meanwhile the official stands on the sideline with the flag IN HIS HAND, waves his hands to signal a catch and a down, then forgets to throw it.)

I agree with you that Carr's time is up. I just think that early in his head coaching career Carr wasn't afraid to take chances, but that he's gotten soft and conservative with his job security.

FSU's dominance in the 80s and 90s was sick -- something like 12 or 13 straight finishes in the top 4.

Blue Room said:

Perfect post.

dun dun dun dun dun GOOOO GATORS! :rockon:

n1387170106_30035323_3551.jpg

n1094010156_30276864_1447.jpg

They did well against the Deaf, Dumb School of Pregnant Women... I mean Eastern Kentucky. :wink:

At least FSU made it close at the end of this game, too bad the first half was terrible.

kellyahern said:

I went to bed at half-time. I couldn't take it anymore. We looked like the Bucs, the creamsicle Bucs.

It was all of last season in one half. :(

I'm hosting a Penn State-Notre Dame party. I might be the only Catholic I know who doesn't like Notre Dame.

Michigan is out of the top 25...

Year after year I have seen the same thing. This team has never been able to stop teams that spread their offense. If your QB has average mobility or above, we'll take a horrible angle and let you run right past us.

Things have to change. I will not blame Lloyd Carr, but I will say big changes are needed. Everything has gone downhill since the year we played Tennessee in the Citrus bowl. Even in that game, Jason Witten outran UM db's and safeties. A TIGHT END!

We won the National Championship with a huge O line and defense! I am sick of the same old "top 25 is still pretty good" attitude. Maybe getting booted will turn things around.

A picture of me going nuts at the Arkansas State game made the front page of the Austin American-Statesman on Sunday.

I'm about a G-List local celebrity now.

Dalton said:
IMP - what do you think of Colt?

He's obviously got talent, but he's got to keep his head up and not get discouraged. He lets negative things get to him way too much, almost like Dirk. He had one of the most ridiculous freshman seasons I've ever seen, and that's obviously going to be hard to live up to, but he's at the helm of an elite program and ought to work on his composure a bit more.

I do believe in him, though. We'll find out from TCU, OU, and Nebraska this year if he's got the stones to be a big game quarterback.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom